Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixie angst...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fixie angst...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 07:56 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Fixie angst...

A young man came into the bike shop where I work yesterday accompanied by a beautiful vintage Lotus road bike. Looks like it was right out of the box. Six-speed, downtube shifters, beautiful lugs. Not a very expensive bike, but even had decent wheels with sealed bearings.

Does anyone else here besides me just CRINGE when someone wants to convert a bike like that into a fixed gear just for style points amongst friends? Or when some 50-something (I'm 50 myself) buys a nice road bike and puts a cruiser seat and 10 inch riser bars on it?

We certainly strive to give the people what they want. We like money. But does anyone else feel torn or a little sad in the process?
Old 01-30-08, 07:59 AM
Zouf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.
Old 01-30-08, 08:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Putting cruiser bars and a mattress saddle on a nice, but new, road bike is a misuse of the thing but it doesn't damage a "collector's item". There are plenty more of them available.

Turning a good quality but obsolete bike into something else is more problematic as once it's gone there aren't more to replace it.

You do have one options; offer to buy the Lotus intact and provide a suitable but less collectable frame and fork to build into the fixie.
Old 01-30-08, 08:15 AM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as he doesn't molest the frame such that it wil never be multi-speed-capable, let him do what he wants.

If he starts chopping off down tube bosses and cable guides, you night say somethign, but it's still his bike.

As long as he's riding it, you should be happy.
Old 01-30-08, 08:26 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nah. Now if it was a nice old Basso or a Holdsworth, then I'd be pissed.
Old 01-30-08, 08:31 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Does anyone else here besides me just CRINGE when someone wants to convert a bike like that into a fixed gear just for style points amongst friends? Or when some 50-something (I'm 50 myself) buys a nice road bike and puts a cruiser seat and 10 inch riser bars on it?
Did he say he was looking for style points from his friends, or did you just assume that? Maybe he simply wants a fixie, and that was the most suitable bike he had to do the conversion. Unless they want you to do something stupid (i.e. unsafe) I'm OK with it. It's their ride!
Old 01-30-08, 08:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by HillRider
...offer to buy the Lotus intact and provide a suitable but less collectable frame and fork to build into the fixie.
It crossed my mind.
Old 01-30-08, 08:38 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Even if they chop it up, at least another vintage bike is on the road for all to see, albeit in fixie form rather than its original condition. I think fixie riders keep old bikes alive and should be commended for it.

The alternative is that the vintage bike will rot in a garage somewhere or be thrown in the trash, since most roadies are so OCP obsessed they will only ride something made out of carban fibre made in the last 5 years. They wouldn't be caught dead on a vintage bike.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-30-08, 08:42 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Did he say he was looking for style points from his friends, or did you just assume that?
I did not quiz him thoroughly, other than mention potential problems - like BioPace chainrings and brazed-on cable guides all over the place that will be interesting ornaments.

The only reason he would give verbally was "It will 'look' a lot cleaner without all of that junk hanging on it." I can't argue that. And he wants to change everything to achieve a certain "look".
Old 01-30-08, 08:45 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Well, what can I say? Sometimes I don't even approve of everything that I myself have done. As soon as I get that little problem solved I'm going to start on the rest of you. Uh - when that happens you're all TOAST!
Old 01-30-08, 08:46 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Even if they chop it up, at least another vintage bike is on the road for all to see, albeit in fixie form rather than its original condition. I think fixie riders keep old bikes alive and should be commended for it.made in the last 5 years. They wouldn't be caught dead on a vintage bike

The alternative is that the vintage bike will rot in a garage somewhere or be thrown in the trash, since most roadies are so OCP obsessed they will only ride something made out of carban fibre .
You are totally correct. My response was 100 percent emotional. My rational side agrees with you completely. Just wondering if anyone else felt that initial "sting" when the idea is presented at the counter.
Old 01-30-08, 09:25 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

There are people who enjoy, actually make a fetish of, riding vintage bikes in OEM condition. He (or you) might get more for the Lotus in original condition than a new purpose-built fixie frame and fork would cost.
Old 01-30-08, 10:13 AM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
No I don't cringe. Think of the low price the hipster is going to sell the components for to a creative vintage enthusiast like me...
Old 01-30-08, 10:21 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
You are totally correct. My response was 100 percent emotional. My rational side agrees with you completely. Just wondering if anyone else felt that initial "sting" when the idea is presented at the counter.
I totally agree that there is a cringe factor when someone wants to "fix" a perfectly nice road bike. I worked at a bike shop (a long time ago) and people would bring in beautiful, state of the then existing art full Campy Italian bikes and want to do something crazy like put fenders or a rack on it. The initial reaction was "are you crazy", but to each his own.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-30-08, 10:37 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
But...if we kill all the golfers...

I've been in the same boat many, many times, internally shaking my head at what a customer is requesting, but in the end it is their bike to do with as they choose. If the cringe factor were allowed to affect my purchasing advice to customers, we'd sell a lot less bikes that I know will end up being garage decorations and not ridden more than a couple times a year.

The way I see it, whatever the customer feels will make them more comfortable, whatever they think is "cool", whatever performance edge they "need" will also lead to them riding more often.
Old 01-30-08, 12:05 PM
mediccody
affix pistol bayonets!

Bikes: Early-Mid 80's Peugeot Super Competition, 1981 Basso, Mid-80's Peugeot Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fixed gear rider and have converted a couple bicycles to fixed gear. Never, though, a vintage bicycle with its original parts intact.

Yes, it does kind of grind my gears to see someone seperate a vintage frame from its original vintage parts just for "cool points."

However, one must remember that the bicycle is just an object after all, and that unless it is an Eddy Mercx or something there are plenty more bicycles like it out there.
Old 01-30-08, 12:13 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
just keep the braze-ons intact.
Old 01-30-08, 12:21 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by roadfix
just keep the braze-ons intact.
Not me.

If it was my bike I'd cut off all of the unneeded braze-ons. Then I'd file fill and sand them until the locations were invisible and repaint the whole bike.

The reason that bike was in such perfect shape is because nobody wanted to ride it. In other words, it's undesirable. You guys very romantically want to keep it this way. I think that's a shame.
Old 01-30-08, 12:46 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Not me.

If it was my bike I'd cut off all of the unneeded braze-ons. Then I'd file fill and sand them until the locations were invisible and repaint the whole bike.

The reason that bike was in such perfect shape is because nobody wanted to ride it. In other words, it's undesirable. You guys very romantically want to keep it this way. I think that's a shame.
I agree. I'd do the same if it were mine.
Old 01-30-08, 12:53 PM
HillRider

Well, not nobody, just the current owner. I expect it would find someone very willing to ride it just the way it is if posted on e-Bay or one of the C&V forums.

Actually, I don't look at old bikes romantically at all and am perfectly happy with the newest and most modern frames and components but I'm not everybody.
Old 01-30-08, 12:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Personally, I like conversions. I'd love a vintage Raleigh Team or Schwinn Paramount track bike, but there's no way I'd ride one on the street and the nearest velodrome is 3 hours away. A road conversion is the closest you're going to get to a path racer type FG, and if you leave on all the shifty bits, what's the harm?
Old 01-30-08, 12:59 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by HillRider
Actually, I don't look at old bikes romantically at all and am perfectly happy with the newest and most modern frames and components but I'm not everybody.
Yeah. I keep my bikes components in about the 5 to 10 year old window. I don't have any 10-speed stuff and I'm not interested in any real vintage stuff. I'm certainly not everybody either.
Old 01-30-08, 01:01 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A young man came into the bike shop where I work yesterday accompanied by a beautiful vintage Lotus road bike. Looks like it was right out of the box. Six-speed, downtube shifters, beautiful lugs. Not a very expensive bike, but even had decent wheels with sealed bearings.

Does anyone else here besides me just CRINGE when someone wants to convert a bike like that into a fixed gear just for style points amongst friends?
I cringe to think of a nice old bike like that having spent 20 years hanging on a wall somwhere when somebody could have loved and ridden it!

I love fixed gear and always encourage people to try it...even though many folks try it for less ignoble reasons, whether it's "style points" or macho posturing...in the end they often become converts when they discover how much fun it is!

Lotuses were quite nice bikes, but I never saw one with "beautiful" lugs.

See: https://sheldonbrown.com/japan

Or when some 50-something (I'm 50 myself) buys a nice road bike and puts a cruiser seat and 10 inch riser bars on it?
I'm more sorry because the rider has overcompensated for an uncomfortable position, and the result is most likely going to be just a different type of discomfort.

The one that gets me is the "DWU/DUI" setup where a 30 year old tenspeed is pressed into service after the driver's licence has been revoked, and the drunkard in question flips the drop bars upside-down and backwards.

Sheldon "Riding Is Good" Brown
Old 01-30-08, 01:03 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Not me.

The person who owned it didn't ride it, that doesn't mean nobody would. Or maybe the owner did ride for many years and just took meticulous care of it. We don't know.

If the braze-ons remain, you have a more versatile bike. A reasonable compromise might be to remove the cable guides on the top-tube for the rear brake. If you wanted to revert back to a geared bike at some point, clamp on cable guides are pretty classy looking. There are clamp on shifter bosses as well.

The derailleur hanger could be cut off too, and an old "claw" used although that's less than optimal.

Probably what would need to stay are the cable guides for the derailleurs. Those aren't all that obtrusive anyway.
Old 01-30-08, 02:05 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Some people ride fixed because it's fun. Style points are secondary, if not completely ignored.

It's his bike and he wants it fixed. Why are you being so judgemental? As long as he rides and has fun, who gives a crap. The Lotus was a fine frame, but it's not like they're super rare or collectible.

Az

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.