Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fat Stem

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fat Stem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 09:18 PM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fat Stem

I just put a Bell extra thick inner tube on my rear wheel. The stem is so fat that it won't go all the way through the hole in the rim. Most of it is sticking through but about a quarter inch is inside the rim. Will this cause any problems for me in the future?

This tube does weigh a lot but it is offset by leaving my tools and patch kit at home. My maximum distance away from home is seven miles in my town so I could walk home if necessary.
Old 04-13-08, 09:23 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get a presta or schraeder valved tube? Some rims are drilled to only accept presta valves.

NB always take everything on wiki-let's make crap up-pedia with a massive pinch of salt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presta_valve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 04-13-08, 09:32 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The rim on the bicycle is a 26" with Schrader valve stem holes. The tube stem is a Schrader. The tire is a 26 X 1.95.
Old 04-13-08, 10:11 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
I just put a Bell extra thick inner tube on my rear wheel. The stem is so fat that it won't go all the way through the hole in the rim. Most of it is sticking through but about a quarter inch is inside the rim. Will this cause any problems for me in the future?

This tube does weigh a lot but it is offset by leaving my tools and patch kit at home. My maximum distance away from home is seven miles in my town so I could walk home if necessary.
Personally I wouldn't like that, but I'm not sure what to suggest. I don't like the idea of reaming out the hole.
Is it possible to go back to the store and see if they're all like that?
Old 04-13-08, 10:43 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would return the tube. It was obviously constructed improperly.
Old 04-14-08, 06:34 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
Is it possible to go back to the store and see if they're all like that?
I bought the inner tube many months ago. It is possible that there are others there now, but the last two times I checked (within two months) they stopped selling this brand.

The tube is made with extra thick rubber on the bottom to add extra protection. It also has Slime in it. Perhaps the extra rubber is throughout the tube but more so on the bottom.

The rim tape hole is not blocking the valve stem.

Personally I don't know how having the stem not sticking out all the way would be harmful to the inner tube. Since this is the first time this has happened I don't know what could happen. That is why I asked here, because some people here might have experienced this.

The valve stem is maintaining its position. It can not be pushed down into the tire while the air is at the maximum recommended pressure.

Does the metal part of the valve stem go all the way to the tube? If it does then if there is wear around the stem it shouldn't cause a leak. I've never cut up a valve stem so I don't know the answer to that.