Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anybody familiar with the Gmc Denali road bikes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anybody familiar with the Gmc Denali road bikes?

Old 12-04-09, 11:15 PM
crazyed27
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonski
So operator is wrong because someone else answered the question you asked him or do you just want some one to entertain dumb questions?
I asked three times what hazards I am subjecting myself to by using the incorrect valve size...Operater never answered. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

I agree you may be able to pump it up..is that a cap on the stem - sorry but I can't see the 10x10 picture that well - if it is, let's see it without the cap because it definitely look wrong.
Yes it is the incorrect size valve. All I wanted to know is what could possibly go wrong. How hard is that to explain?
Old 12-04-09, 11:21 PM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyed27
I asked three times what hazards I am subjecting myself to by using the incorrect valve size...Operater never answered. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Yes it is the incorrect size valve. All I wanted to know is what could possibly go wrong. How hard is that to explain?
There are quite a few dumb questions I wouldn't entertain either. Use your imagination.
Old 12-05-09, 03:17 AM
plasticmaam12

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The "Pro" bike mechanics want to get ticky-tacky about the proper sized tube for a repair. Give me a ******* break. What works is what counts. I can't believe this thread.
Old 12-05-09, 04:12 AM
crazyed27
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are quite a few dumb questions I wouldn't entertain either. Use your imagination.

Yeah like....

"Hey Guys my name is tonski, I'm dating a Shemale, should I bring him/her to meet my parents????"
Old 12-05-09, 07:03 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6
ive seriously looked everywhere for innertubes and cannot find ones that fit.
what size do i need? some guy gave me a presta valve tube which did not even help. i was surprised I didnt tell him the size of my wheels. anywho its getting frustrating and if you have links even that would be great. thanks!
Fixed

could somebody give me a website for the tubes that will fit my wheel? i just went out to two bike shops and target and none of them carry the right tubes unfortunately. i bought two myself but they did not fit. so if anyone knows finds the correct tube even if i need an adapter please let me know! thanks again for the advice
I only see a couple of posts from you, and in neither one do you tell us what numbers are on the sidewall of the tire, or in what way the tubes don't fit.

Time to classify the OP as a troll.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-05-09 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 08:47 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Fixed

I only see a couple of posts from you, and in neither one do you tell us what numbers are on the sidewall of the tire, or in what way the tubes don't fit.

Time to classify the OP as a troll.
Most bike shop people know what size a GMC Denali needs. It's a 700x28 with a 48mm schrader valve. It's also a tube that neither Wal-Mart nor most local bike shops carry. I love how Wal-Mart sells the bikes, but doesn't stock the tubes for them.
Old 12-05-09, 09:08 AM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow there are some pretty rude people on here. i know nothing about bikes and still learning. i went out to to bike shops and target and none of them carried the right tube. thats why i asked for a website or a link that has the right tubes online. crazyed27 is the only rational one on here. bike shops have jerk-offs as workers and one shop i went to just handed me a tube without asking me the specs of the wheel. and the bike was GIVEN to me. im of course saving to buy a bike that wont cause this much trouble!
Old 12-05-09, 09:09 AM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and the sidewall of the tire reads 700x28c and the tube will go around the rim but is too long and starts to hang out
Old 12-05-09, 09:21 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
and the sidewall of the tire reads 700x28c and the tube will go around the rim but is too long and starts to hang out
The tube may appear to be too long when uninflated. It the tube is marked as a 700c or 27" tube, it's the correct diameter for your rims. As long as you didn't get a tube for a 32-38mm (1.25 - 1.5") or bigger tire, it should install just fine.
Old 12-05-09, 09:25 AM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you so much joejack i appreciate it
Old 12-05-09, 09:32 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
thank you so much joejack i appreciate it
Have you read up on installing a tube? I only ask because the starting point for installng a new tube (my preferred method) is slightly inflating the tube and installing it into the tire then fitting the tire/tube combo onto the rim.
Old 12-05-09, 10:08 AM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice! ill for sure try that out if not i might try a smaller tube thanks again for being patient!
Old 12-05-09, 11:07 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 608 Posts
That helps. Next time you post a question, try to give as much information as possible in the first post. Dimensions, brand, model, size, specific problem encountered etc .... Also, pictures are very helpful in many cases.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-05-09, 12:03 PM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crazyed27 is the only rational one on here.
Originally Posted by crazyed27
"Hey Guys my name is tonski, I'm dating a Shemale, should I bring him/her to meet my parents????"

Yes with quotes like this I can see how you wouldn't classify him as a jerk and as completely rational. That coupled with poor advice, I just don't know how you can't go wrong.
Old 12-05-09, 02:01 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Good for you, you can pump it up.

The other 50% of the people out there won't be able to. So your advice is wrong. That is the WRONG vavle length for that rim, as PROVEN by your picture. A schreader valve that only clears the rim by that margin is TOO SHORT. I've worked on these bikes, repaired flats for that specific bike many times before. WE can pump it up with our compressor. A customer with a floor pump, or a mini-pump or any other of the billion variations of pumps out there might not be able to. Or at worst they'll try and pull the valve out through the rim for more clearance and create a pinch flat.

That is not the correct length valve, and you telling us that you can pump it up makes no ****ing difference.. Any professional mechanic that lets a bike leave with a flat repair like that is a ****ing moron and doesn't deserve the "professional" part of that title.

I'm not sure how may more different ways I can convey this.
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
I agree.

One thing I have seen happen when someone puts the short stem in there is the stem ripping out of the tube. Why? Because it's too short. They try to get the floor pump head on the stem, but to get it on far enough to push the valve down, they have to yank on the stem; eventually pulling it out of the tube.

Another amusing problem is when the bike sits for a while and the tire gets low. Rider doesn't notice, goes for a ride, comes back, and there isn't a valve stem any longer. Not visible at least. Valve stem is down inside the rim somewhere.... Ever tried letting the air out and putting the valve back through the hole when it's still partially inflated and you can't get to the valve?

Fun.
First of all, if he can and the "other 50% of the people out there won't be able to", that would mean there are only two people with these bikes.

Second of all, anyone who says you can damage a schraeder valve by tweaking it into place with your fingers, BUT NOT WITH 125 PSI PUSHING THE VALVESTEM UP THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE RIM, EVEN WITH YOUR WEIGHT ON THE BIKE, EVEN WHEN YOU HIT A BUMP, hasn't thought very hard about it.

What do you think the guy's going to do, stand on the rim and pull up on the valve with Vise-Grips?

P.S. this isn't really about the OP anymore but I would remind him that I supplied three sites back on the first page, although they probabaly don't have the special 48mm long valvestem.

Last edited by garage sale GT; 12-05-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 02:06 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
First of all, if he can and the "other 50% of the people out there won't be able to", that would mean there are only two people with these bikes.

Second of all, anyone who says you can damage a schraeder valve by tweaking it into place with your fingers, BUT NOT WITH 125 PSI PUSHING THE VALVESTEM UP THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE RIM, EVEN WITH YOUR WEIGHT ON THE BIKE, EVEN WHEN YOU HIT A BUMP, is a jive turkey. What do you think the guy's going to do, stand on the rim and pull up on the valve with Vise-Grips?
So I've imagined all of those bikes that have come in to my shop with the valves ripped out of the tubes?
Old 12-05-09, 02:21 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Nope, you didn't imagine them. I have had that happen with brand new tubes. Pretty sad when you think about it....Tubes so cheap
you can't even air them up once without the valve popping out of the tube. The LBS was like "man that sucks", and didn't even offer
my money back or a replacement tube. Half them time now I want to inflate them while I am standing there in the store, lol.,,,,BD
Old 12-05-09, 02:35 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Nope, you didn't imagine them. I have had that happen with brand new tubes. Pretty sad when you think about it....Tubes so cheap
you can't even air them up once without the valve popping out of the tube. The LBS was like "man that sucks", and didn't even offer
my money back or a replacement tube. Half them time now I want to inflate them while I am standing there in the store, lol.,,,,BD
If I know the customer, I give them a new tube. Let's face it...there's enough mark-up on tubes to give someone a freebie without going broke. If it's someone I don't know, they could have yanked the valve out with vice-grips (as mentioned a few posts ago) for all I know.
Old 12-05-09, 02:35 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So I've imagined all of those bikes that have come in to my shop with the valves ripped out of the tubes?
But what causes it, guy?

OK, let's say you're from some twilight zone town where people don't just buy department store bikes, ride them an average of 75 miles, and pitch them out or store them in the back of their garage. Let's say everyone in your town buys walmart bikes, then rides and rides them and has them profesionally maintained until the valvestems fall out. Let's say for the sake of discussion that you've seen enough of them to establish a pattern.

If the inflation pressure puts MORE FORCE on the valvestem than pushing it up to attach the pump, how is the problem caused by installing the short stems?

How do you know the long ones don't fail too? How do you know the bikes don't come into your shop after destroying A FEW tubes including the long stem original?

What if the hole in the rim of those Vitesse wheels just needs a light chamfer? What if it's a sixteenth of an inch too big? Wouldn't that screw up the long stem ones too? And how would that make a slightly short stem any worse of a repair than a long one?

Last edited by garage sale GT; 12-05-09 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 02:44 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
But what causes it, guy?

OK, let's say you're from some twilight zone town where people don't just buy department store bikes, ride them an average of 75 miles, and pitch them out or store them in the back of their garage. Let's say everyone in your town buys walmart bikes, then rides and rides them and has them profesionally maintained until the valvestems fall out. Let's say for the sake of discussion that you've seen enough of them to establish a pattern.

If the inflation pressure puts FAR MORE FORCE on the valvestem than pushing it up to attach the pump, how is the problem caused by installing the short stems?

How do you know the long ones don't fail too? How do you know the bikes don't come into your shop after destroying A FEW tubes including the long stem original?

What if the hole in the rim of those Vitesse wheels just needs a light chamfer? What if it's a sixteenth of an inch too big? Wouldn't that screw up the long stem ones too?
I've been working on bikes or managing bike shops for over 12 years. I think I might have seen/learned a few things in that time.

The forces acting upon the tube are completely different. One is force (from the air pressure) pushing against the tube and valve from the inside, where the force is spread over a much larger area whereas the other is a pulling force concentrated on a small area (the valve stem).

Yes, other factors can affect the tube, such as a roughly drilled valve hole. The valve hole problem, however, would likely surface randomly while riding. The one related to the air chuck is obvious, as the valve stem is usually still attached to the air chuck when it fails.

I worked in Indianapolis at very busy bike shops; I've definitely seen enough of them to be able to establish a pattern. Valve stems pull out all the time from people yanking on them; not just on Wal-Mart bikes. The combination of a too-short valve stem and a floor/frame pump just makes it much more likely.

That said, what the hell is your issue? Did you eat a bowl of Wankios this morning? Is it "Target Platy" day?
Old 12-05-09, 03:02 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You're saying it's easier to tear the valvestem out on a wheel which BOLSTERS THE VALVE RIGHT UP TO THE THREADS???

Would the problem go away if you switched to the singlewall rims which most road bikes with short schraeder valves use? So that you could rock the valvestem several degrees with your frame pump and force only a small part of the bottom of the stem to take all the load?

This is my issue with your posts: I doubt you have observed an actual pattern or are accurately recalling what you have observed.

If the fact that the stem doesn't flex around causes people not to bolster the valve from the other side when they use their frame pump, why would that change if you got a valve with a longer stem? It would still seem not to flex around.

And why would the problem apply to floor pumps?

Last edited by garage sale GT; 12-05-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 03:19 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The forces acting upon the tube are completely different. One is force (from the air pressure) pushing against the tube and valve from the inside, where the force is spread over a much larger area whereas the other is a pulling force concentrated on a small area (the valve stem).
Tell me something, please.

If the problem here is caused by tearing the valvestem off with the pump, then why are you dickering over what stem length to use? What sort of stem length is immune from tearing off the valvestem with careless use of a pump? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the OP to bolster the other side of his frame pump with his other hand when he pumps? Should people without Vitesse rims and short valves stop pumping up carefully?
Old 12-05-09, 03:49 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am done replying to you.
Old 12-05-09, 04:15 PM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
k well i did take everyones advice thanks for the links and stuff but i didnt mean for it to go this far. we all have our ways of doing things and if it works for others then great. if it doesnt then theres no need to attack others. my local bikeshop has jerk offs as workers so i would never go there for help. i looked everywhere online for the right ones and still came up with nothing
but i found some tubes so im good now! thanks again and my apologies if i started anything bad.
Old 07-02-19, 05:38 PM
Rlb78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a solution to fix short shrader valves. Most auto parts stores carry extensions to use on vehicles. They vary in length might they work on a bike tube.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.