Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My First Run in 15-20 Years

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 04:38 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Like many here (I suspect), I used to run. It was the late 70s-early80s running boom with Frank Shorter and Bill Rodgers making news all the time. (Sports other than major team sports used to get more coverage didn't they??) I ran my first 5 miler at the age of 30 and for about a decade thereafter I ran regularly and could do 10k in 42-44 minutes. I looked marvelous and felt even better.

Well, you know the story: work/career, family, home improvement all set in and before you know it you are pretty fat and have to do something. For me it was cycling and for 4 1/2 years now I've clawed my way back to some semblance of decent shape and lost over 40 pounds. But, until today, I had not run a step in 15-20 years.

Now I work in a campus building that is a recreation/fitness facility and there is a new 8-lap/mile track so this is convenient for me... and I've been feeling really good lately, like maybe trying to run again as my weight goes down and strength goes up.

Well, today was the day. My goal was to do eight laps running with a lap walking in between each lap. The first dozen steps were met with wince-inducing spinal pain from the impact but that gradually went away. Each successive lap got better and by the end I was extending my runs well into the walk lap. Those old neuromuscular patterns were coming back. Thanks to my 22,000 miles of cycling, cardiovascular fitness was not an issue... at least after the shock of the first couple of laps.

Mission accomplished. I feel good... really good. This is promising.
Old 11-08-12, 06:25 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great to hear you were able to run some Donn, I'll bet it was tiring but felt good to accomplish. I really miss running daily and doing 10K runs every weekend, they were a lot of fun for Monica and I. My spinal hardware and injury put this out of my reach so I ride to get my aerobic fix. Good Job!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-08-12, 07:46 PM
WingSuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you I am extremely jealous. My back (bone spurs) prevents me from doing much running any more. Every once in a while I will give it a try and regret it the next few days. Nothing, at least for me, keeps the weight off like runnng. Hope your body makes the transition without too much hurt! Keep us posted how you do.
Old 11-08-12, 08:53 PM
FormerFF

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last yeaqr, I started doing some running in preparation for a sprint distance triathlon. I got where I was somewhat comfortable with a 5 K, but that was as far as I could go. I wound hurting my knee trying to pull too big of a gear last last year, and had to quit for a few months. Got back into in in March, and by the end of August I was up to 10K and did an Oly distance tri. Now I'm up to 7.5 miles and my pace is improving, too, both on the run and on my bike.

Keep it up, but don't rush it, and stretch your quads and hamstrings, and make sure you're keeping your core and hip flexors in shape. Runner's World magazine reports that something like 70 percent of all runners wind up with an injury, and you don't want to join that group
Old 11-09-12, 12:00 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
I ran some when I was young, though never in organized events. THough I much prefer cycling, I do enjoy running. Up until recently, I ran when I was away from a bike - for example, whilst on vacation with my family or on business travel - but with recent development of osteoarthritis in my hip, I'm thinking that I'll have to forego those sorts of runs in the future. A pity.
Old 11-09-12, 06:27 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Plantar fasciitis holding me back. Right heel still hurting.
Old 11-09-12, 03:57 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Running: Just say no.
Except if you are actively involved in chasing down a frisbee or a tennis ball to whap, it's just not a good idea.
Old 11-09-12, 04:12 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Running is definitely out for me. Flat feet and bad ankle joints resulting from them means low impact activity only. Biking is perfect.
Old 11-09-12, 09:54 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations, I was in the same boat as you, not really overweight but out of shape. Started running again about 2 1/2 years ago, and now have 4 half marathons under my belt. And just got back into cycling in June and am loving it. I rode a lot in the 80's and don't know why I ever stopped.
Old 11-10-12, 01:14 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I miss running. Such an easy way to get a workout. But after refereeing soccer for years, and three knee surgeries, running isn't on my list right now, at least not until I lose a LOT more weight.
Old 11-10-12, 11:31 AM
FormerFF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Running is definitely out for me. Flat feet and bad ankle joints resulting from them means low impact activity only. Biking is perfect.

I had to get orthotics before I could run. It took five months to become accustomed to them, but now I'm good for the distance.
Old 11-10-12, 12:23 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Tennis: Just say no. ... It's just not a good idea.
Fixed that for you!
Old 11-11-12, 02:36 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ran again today wearing my HRM. There's no GPS reading and distance indoors so all I have is a HR graph... but a pretty good suffer score!

https://app.strava.com/activities/27546297

I'm definitely activating latent motor units.
Old 11-11-12, 02:44 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I've been strictly a monoathlete since I began bike racing in 1965. May have run as much as a cumulative 5 miles in my life. No regrets (in this regard).
Old 11-25-12, 02:19 AM
Dave Ferris
Dave Ferris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi--I was going to post in the introductory thread but felt maybe this was more apropos. Really enjoy and can relate to this section of the forum.

I'm a long time (30 years) former competitive runner here. I'm 59 and will hit 60 next June. By my calculations I've run close to 60,000 miles over 30 years. Finished 21 marathons with a PR of 3:14 at age 47. I've done dozens of half -marathons , 10 & 5 Ks and even one trail 50K. I had a pretty decent streak of 18 years in a row in which I averaged about 2160 miles a year. I never once was under 2K in that 18 years until a few years ago at around 56....when I felt the age thing catching up with me..

I never considered myself a *fast guy* but was consistently mediocre.. I used to place in the top 3 of my age group on local races if the fast guys chose not to show that day. I haven't pinned on a race number in 6 years though...the competitive fire is kinda gone. I'm just happy to still get out there and maintain a pretty high level of fitnesses.

Because of my worsening "Hallux Rigidus" condition (stiffening of the big toe joint), I've been reluctantly (at first) cross training since the beginning of Sept. twice a week on my road and mountain bike.

Obviously I'm as passionate about running as most here are about cycling. I've been biking off and on for over 20 years, mostly when I've been injured from running...which hasn't been that often.

I've just been lurking and enjoying reading the posts of people doing the cross bikes on dirt roads. I live in LA and we really don't have that kind of terrain here....at least in the area I live in. Mountain biking is the off road choice most often. I wish there were more unpaved, dirt roads that were flat or rolling. I really enjoy the climbing end on the mountain bike in the Verdugo Mountains near my house, but I highly dislike the steep descent.

I do like the constant workout the road bike provides but with so much traffic here in LA, it can be very dangerous activity riding a bike on the streets around here. My road rides consist of less traveled roads over to the Rose Bowl area and back after traffic clears from morning rush hour. I usually go anywhere from 17-30 miles and average between 14 to 15 miles an hour.

I'm actually enjoying running more (and feeling less beat up) since I've been mixing in the bike the last few months. My future goals are to maintain the 30-35 miles a week of running while doing at least two rides...road & mountain.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11-25-12 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added thought and spelling
Old 11-25-12, 06:31 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's been about 30 years since I've done any running. I have a 3:28 marathon in my resume'. I quit because I was tearing up my ankles and the 40 pounds that I've gained since hasn't made my footfalls any softer. No more running for the Grouch.
Old 11-25-12, 10:07 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Running: Just say no.
Except if you are actively involved in chasing down a frisbee or a tennis ball to whap, it's just not a good idea.
It's ok to run after someone who has stolen your bike, too.
Old 11-25-12, 10:20 AM
Totoboa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing Bill. But I'll stick to riding. Your determination is admirable.
Old 11-25-12, 11:54 AM
Dave Ferris
Dave Ferris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just like to add some stuff for people just starting out or coming back after a long layoff. This might be obvious to former runners but it never hurts to re-enforce...I need it myself a lot of times.

I'm pretty convinced that continual running on hard surfaces--pavement and cement sidewalks--is not good. For younger people you can get some years out of it but eventually I see it catch up with almost everyone.
All my friends that are my age and older, try and stay on soft surfaces whenever we can. That means trails, freshly cut grass at parks, tracks, pool running (with the flotation device). I have some friends that put in a few days a week on the dreaded treadmill. The latter is not for me.

Be sure you have new running shoes that are supportive. Sorry, I don't buy into this minimalist shoe/barefoot fad. Maybe for a 20 something that's been running for a few years it works fine. However for long time vets, especially those with foot issues like myself, I think you are asking for injuries and disaster if you jump into that whole hog.

If possible try and get fitted at a reputable running store. Unfortunately that is becoming an endangered species. You don't want neutral shoes if you severely over pronate and vice versa. Track the miles on your shoes and don't let them go over 250 miles (maybe even sooner in some cases) before you replace them. It can be more expensive but again another safeguard to staying injury free.

Try and avoid the hills when starting up again. They place too much stress, especially the downhill on your joints. Once your body gets more acclimated, hills can be your best friend in regards to strengthening, but not starting out. Also make sure your surface is even. Try to avoid trails that are overly rutted.

Run for time not miles. Don't feel like you're cheating if you have to incorporate walking breaks as well. Often that 1-3 minute break can rejuvenate your legs resulting in a more quality run.

Basically as we age we have to be smarter in how we train. A lot of it is common sense but it never hurts to go over the basics again. I've seen many strong runners, much more talented then myself, have to stop running at a younger age then me. This was due to over training...too much, too fast, always racing, all the time. Basically a lack of common sense.

When you're younger and get into that groove of getting faster and stronger, always PRing in races, you can have that feeling of invincibility. I come from many, many years of being in running clubs doing the Wednesday night track intervals, Friday road tempo run and the infamous "long run" on Sunday. Here in Southern Cal, you can do that routine year round, 52 weeks a year...year after year. It can be a LOTTA miles by the time you hit 50 or with someone like me at almost 60.

I've trained with runners of all levels...from beginners to women that have have qualified for the Olympic trials in the Marathon. No matter how strong or fast you get it still comes down to--it's bone, cartilage and tendons-and they do wear out.. It's not like a steel or titanium bike frame that will last forever..
Unless you have the genetics of maybe an Ed Whitlock : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Whitlock
1 in a thousand, you have to back off, take time off and/or crosstrain.

The legendary runner Frank Shorter highly advocates cross training. He's still out there 6 days a week. He mixes it up--half running and half biking. Also a day or two a week at the gym for strengthening goes a long way in maintaing a balanced, more fit and injury free lifestyle.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11-28-12 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 11-25-12, 03:43 PM
ctg492

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go!!
I understand the sense of accomplishment. I had only treadmill run starting in my 40s with 5K at most. This summer I said I am going to run a 1/2 marathon, I had no idea how to train/ what a 1/2 really was let alone ever really road running. I worked so hard daily and it cut way into biking time. I amazed myself and wore a "51(check)in the box" sign pinned to my shirt. 2 hours 12 minutes.Not bad for an old lady.
Old 11-26-12, 11:02 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Totoboa
Thanks for sharing Bill. But I'll stick to riding. Your determination is admirable.
Let me reassure everyone that I am not prescribing anything for anyone else. This is just a bit of exploratory "cross-training" for personal satisfaction and variety. The fact that I CAN run at all is due to cycling and cycling will always come first I'm sure. I've now run about five times I think it is and it does get better. Plus, I can accomplish over two hours of bicycle suffering in about 40 minutes on the indoor running track.

Originally Posted by JanMM
It's ok to run after someone who has stolen your bike, too.
Just think of my running as preparation for chasing bike thieves if you like.
Old 11-26-12, 11:10 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I think cross training will provide huge benefits, so I say stick with it. I only wish running gave me the same grin-factor as Cycling.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-26-12 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 08:39 PM
FormerFF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd think running would be both natural and elemental. Right, left, right, left... turns out most of us have been doing it wrong. Check ount https://www.goodformrunning.com/. Most of us will naturally run at a cadence of 140 - 160 footstrikes per minute, but this leads to overstriding and heel striking.

If anyone's thinking of adding running to their exercise mix, take some time to get your stride correct before adding too many miles to your week.
Old 11-26-12, 08:51 PM
FormerFF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctg492
Way to go!!
I understand the sense of accomplishment. I had only treadmill run starting in my 40s with 5K at most. This summer I said I am going to run a 1/2 marathon, I had no idea how to train/ what a 1/2 really was let alone ever really road running. I worked so hard daily and it cut way into biking time. I amazed myself and wore a "51(check)in the box" sign pinned to my shirt. 2 hours 12 minutes.Not bad for an old lady.
That's a nice time for a first effort, congrats.
Old 11-27-12, 10:17 AM
WingSuit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some weight bearing exercise, be it running or even walking (long and brisk) will also help keep your bone density up in older age. that perfect combination of man and machine that is cycling allows the machine to sort of substitute for your skeleton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.