Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The bad news

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The bad news

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 10:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The bad news

Splattering Mrs. Grouch with mud wasn't the worst thing that happened to us Saturday.

Shortly after the photo was taken I was having some difficulty and eventually felt a slight pain (1 on a 10 scale), about the size of my fist, right under my breast bone. We stopped and rested and some folks gave me a low dose aspirin that seemed to help. I managed to ride another 7 or 8 miles to Rocheport where we begged a ride back to Columbia to retrieve our car. I'm still coming to grips with the incident. I want to change doctors so now I have to find a new doctor who will see me this week. I have 2 months of vacation after tomorrow that I don't want to waste but Mrs. Grouch won't let me ride by myself until I get cleared by the doctor. I hate it when she's right.

As an interesting aside, the stranger who drove me back to Columbia wouldn't accept anything in exchange for the favor. Not even gas money. Since she operates a wine tasteing restaurant I suggested to my wife that we pay to have my sister-in-law, who operates a winery, send her a couple of bottles. The sister-in-law is all for sending the wine, but she won't accept any money either. Sometimes repaying a favor is hard to do.

We'll see how it goes. We have planned a bicycling vacation in Door County, Wisconsin for later this month. Unless something comes up we're still planning to go, but will probably limit our bicycling to short rides.
Old 05-27-13, 10:14 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good move getting it checked out. Wives are Wise.
Old 05-27-13, 10:22 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hoping for good news.
Old 05-27-13, 11:27 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Good move getting it checked out. Wives are Wise.
Uh - "Check out" is a bad choice of words in this context.

Last week we rode 26 miles and I was so tired afterward I had Mrs. Grouch drive us home. I should have scheduled the check-over thing then. I guess it takes a couple of incidents for us slow learners.
Old 05-27-13, 11:30 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you.

....but not while I'm riding
Old 05-27-13, 11:35 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Last week we rode 26 miles and I was so tired afterward I had Mrs. Grouch drive us home. I should have scheduled the check-over thing then. I guess it takes a couple of incidents for us slow learners.
Checkout Time by Nick Lowe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLYmCwhWm3U

Get things checked out but don't check out.
Old 05-27-13, 01:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Hoping and keeping you in my prayers for everything to turn out okay. Please be careful and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-27-13, 01:44 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Here's hoping it's some obscure not-very-serious malady. If not, here's hoping it's some easily fixed (or managed) problem...
Old 05-27-13, 01:59 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
After a wreck...I hauled my rear to the doc to X-ray the ribs and he also X-rayed my pelvis. I asked why and he smiled..."just checking". Same Doc told me that running the heart rate to 170 was "not really advised"...30 secs max at 100% (162)..."oh". Dodged a bullet there but my wife says I need to take it down a slight notch as at 58...the bullets are bigger... Hope things checkout.

ps...I suffered arrhythmia for years but good diet and cardio exercise halted it but just because I halted it doesn't mean I'm superman.
Old 05-27-13, 02:11 PM
The Savages

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hang in there

Originally Posted by Jseis
After a wreck...I hauled my rear to the doc to X-ray the ribs and he also X-rayed my pelvis. I asked why and he smiled..."just checking". Same Doc told me that running the heart rate to 170 was "not really advised"...30 secs max at 100% (162)..."oh". Dodged a bullet there but my wife says I need to take it down a slight notch as at 58...the bullets are bigger... Hope things checkout.

ps...I suffered arrhythmia for years but good diet and cardio exercise halted it but just because I halted it doesn't mean I'm superman.
after 2 heart attacks and 3 mild strokes still cycling so take a rest, cycling saved my life i was in good shape according to doctor. trying is to fail, doing is positive stay strong and focus be wellhttps://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 05-27-13, 02:18 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by The Savages
after 2 heart attacks and 3 mild strokes still cycling so take a rest, cycling saved my life i was in good shape according to doctor. trying is to fail, doing is positive stay strong and focus be wellhttps://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
That's comforting to hear.

I don't want to give up cycling but the last few years hasn't been very much fun. I'd like to get back to what it was 4 years ago.
Old 05-27-13, 04:18 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Like someone else posted, meant to Check Out the possible problem not for you to Checkout. Former Good; Later Bad.

Bests.
Old 05-27-13, 04:29 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't want to give up cycling but the last few years hasn't been very much fun. I'd like to get back to what it was 4 years ago.
Well.....you will probably be better than four years ago. No matter what happens you'll get your head around it and overcome.
Old 05-28-13, 09:34 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I had a heart attack in November 2000 riding up the bluffs over in Pere Marquette State Park just across the Mississippi River over in Illinois. Since then I've done 4 double-centuries; numerous centuries; ridden the KATY from end-to-end twice (and doing it again next month); and even taken up walking half-marathons. In some respects I'm doing more now than before the heart attack.
Old 05-28-13, 03:41 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I had a heart attack in November 2000 riding up the bluffs over in Pere Marquette State Park just across the Mississippi River over in Illinois. Since then I've done 4 double-centuries; numerous centuries; ridden the KATY from end-to-end twice (and doing it again next month); and even taken up walking half-marathons. In some respects I'm doing more now than before the heart attack.
Another encouraging comment. Seeing the doctor tomorrow.
Old 05-28-13, 03:42 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Sometimes the best way to repay a favor is to pass it on to another person in need.
Old 05-28-13, 03:46 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Stories like JerrySTL's abound. We are all rooting for you, Mr. Grouch!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-28-13, 05:16 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Another one for you... heart attack in 1997. Since then, well, I've done a lot of riding, including commuting (didn't own a car for 11 years), randonneuring and touring.

It may be "just" angina, but regular heart check-ups every couple of years are, in my opinion, much, much more important than colonoscopies.
Old 05-28-13, 05:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

It's interesting seeing how my mental state is coming around. A couple of days ago I was so depressed I didn't want to talk about it. Now I'm happier than I've been for a long time. I've been tiring so easily for a long time that bicycling hasn't been very much fun. I'm thinking that now I have a plan that has a chance of working. I'm looking forward to finding out how badly the plumbing is clogged up. Hoping it's not too bad to fix with the scope.

We have a Door County, Wisconsin cycling vacation scheduled for June 26. Hopefully, by the end of the week we'll know if that's possible. Shortening the days and maybe skipping a ride or two wouldn't bother me. We'll see what the doctor says.
Old 05-28-13, 05:42 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
RG,
I'm just happy that you are back here and are overcoming your fears and that the doctors can clear things up for you. You have come along way from your days that the riding was not something you wanted to even think about doing after you got injured. This is much better for you to discuss and get back in the groove with your riding. Best wishes and hopes for your doctor's visit.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-28-13, 05:45 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
It's interesting seeing how my mental state is coming around. A couple of days ago I was so depressed I didn't want to talk about it. Now I'm happier than I've been for a long time. I've been tiring so easily for a long time that bicycling hasn't been very much fun. I'm thinking that now I have a plan that has a chance of working. I'm looking forward to finding out how badly the plumbing is clogged up. Hoping it's not too bad to fix with the scope.

We have a Door County, Wisconsin cycling vacation scheduled for June 26. Hopefully, by the end of the week we'll know if that's possible. Shortening the days and maybe skipping a ride or two wouldn't bother me. We'll see what the doctor says.
Whatever the result of the tests, the outcome is going to be good because you're reacting to the pain symptom, and putting that together with the tiredness.
Old 05-28-13, 05:48 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
You've fought through lots of adversity these past few years. Hopefully this is just one final hump to push over until the better days which lie ahead.
Wishing you the best.
Old 05-28-13, 07:11 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Looking forward to you're post about the visit,the suspense is hard on all of us.I think he will order tests that will prolong the outcome.Hurry up and wait All the Best Mike
Old 05-28-13, 07:40 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Prayers from Illinois, Mr Grouch!
Old 05-28-13, 11:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
So the people who were concerned and savvy enough to give you some aspirin didn't suggest it was a bad idea to keep exercising if the suspicion was some sort of cardiac issue with chest pain?

But good luck and hope the ticker doesn't interfere with your fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.