Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

A serious thought.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 06:59 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
And by riding with this bunch of maniacs every weekend (including a current World Champion) and keeping off the empty calories, I'm dropping weight like a madman and I'll hit race weight in time for this next round of kit orders (and I need to go a size or two smaller.)
Which world champ?
Old 05-12-11, 07:12 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive gained friends, but i dont feel ive lost any friends. I guess I never thought of myself as fat, even though i was and still am. So the friends i made, none of it was a food based friendships. Whether they were friends I made at work, or friends I made through being a hockey fan, or from playing hockey; I still am glad to have them as friends even if I dont see them that often (because we moved) or if im more active now. I write for a video game hardware and software review company, and I still play games, I just make sure i work out before i sit on my butt.
Old 05-12-11, 07:50 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp
While I agree with you about the "no one makes you fat but you" part, I disagree that a friendship can't be broken up by major lifestyle changes. When I was leading my sedentary life of over-eating, I was also occupying my time with things that didn't require physical exercise (like video games and such.) When I made my change to eating healthier, exercising, and getting outdoors, I realized that a friend I'd had since the 7th grade and I no longer had anything in common.
You did. You had your common humanity, and your friendship with each other.

Then again, if all your friendship was based on was video games, and that was taken away, I can see the relationship breaking. But it wasn't a strong relationship to begin with. Friendship that walks on a single plank isn't friendship.

Old 05-12-11, 07:59 PM
Neil_B

As usual, I've stirred the pot a little. Here's some more:

I've had a friendship break because I lost weight. No, my former friend wasn't fat. But he was used to my being helpless and 400 pounds - he'd seen a chair collapse under me during a chess game in my apartment. He'd seen me waddle across a room. Chuck wasn't prepared to see me become mobile and lighter.

Note that I didn't decide to leave my friend behind. That was a choice HE made. I wouldn't have done it if the situation were reversed, because I can't see myself as deserving of friendship unless I'm a friend to others.

Old 05-12-11, 09:37 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Historian posted-----Then there's what we can call the "reformed smoker" way of thinking, where you find yourself looking down on people who have been less successful than you at weight loss. Some of the "losing friends" aspect could be this.

Not my case. Although I've been on the big side most of my life, I wasn't actually obese and I've always been very good in athletics. I've never really lost friends, I just chose to have one special friend and that's my wife. No reformed smoker attitude here.
Old 05-12-11, 09:49 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Having always been somewhat of a loner; and I do not have seemed to have lost any friends since I started commuting (12 miles each way) by bike practically everyday. I have received many many positive comments/feedback on my 80 lbs loss. Weight loss is not my primary goal; it is to feel better. The last few months, my weight has plateaued, but my energy level/stamina has increased. My speed is also going up. That works for me

Some of the people I work with have said that I am inspiring them. One friend has gotten back into running, and did a half marathon earlier this year; and is planning his first full marathon this summer. I am not a runner, and he is not a bicyclist.

The latest development is the recent purchase of a Trek T50 tandem, which after a few minor changes when I get home; my wife and I will be start putting some miles on it
Old 05-12-11, 10:00 PM
BHOFM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a very private person. A couple new friends.
I ride alone, or with the wife. Dropped over 70lbs
in a year, yes, it did change my life style. I can do
things I couldn't a year ago.

Learned a lot on the forums, and flipped a few
bikes.

Bike is a new part of my life, not my life. Sailing
is my life! Been at it for 62 years.
Old 05-12-11, 10:20 PM
beatsrunning

Bikes: Windsor Fens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it has changed my life for the better! I hope to leave my old life behind. The life of a lazy, overweight person! Both my wife and I made a commitment at the beginning of December last year to work towards being healthy and lose weight. Both of us joined Weight Watchers and started their plan. My wife also took up running. I have bad knees so running wasn't something that I could do. After thinking about it long and hard I decided to give cycling a try. I loved to ride as a kid. I had a heavy schwinn hybrid that I bought back when my oldest son was born (he's 6 now). I started by following my wife around our neighborhood as she ran. That progressed into bringing the whole family along, wife 6yr old and 3yr old. We are having such a good time as a family and getting good exercise. Both my wife and I have been amazed at how our lives have changed since we started. Used to be weekends were for sleeping in late and being lazy around the house. Now the weekends are spent getting out and getting exercise. If my wife doesn't have a race either she is out running, I'm riding or we're out as a family on the MUP. It's hard to believe that 6 months ago we would be driving somewhere and see the people out running, cycling, exercising and we would scoff and say "look at those healthy people, whats wrong with them!" Now we're one of them. Both of us have a long way to go and again, it is a commitment and lifestyle change but we're doing it together. Our last mini-vacation we went to Monterey. The first thing we did after getting checked into the hotel was head off on a bike ride. We were there for 3 days and each of those days we were out riding. We explored areas that we had never been to before and had a blast. As we were riding my wife made the comment that in all of the years that we had been coming here that we never knew the paths around the area existed. The sad thing is that we were never looking for them!
Old 05-12-11, 10:34 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by callmeclemens
I'm not certain I know exactly what I'm asking, just how, for the better worse or indifferent has cycling changed your personal life?
I think the joy, the weeeeee! factor, of cycling is enough.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-12-11, 10:43 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Historian posted-----Then there's what we can call the "reformed smoker" way of thinking, where you find yourself looking down on people who have been less successful than you at weight loss. Some of the "losing friends" aspect could be this.

Not my case. Although I've been on the big side most of my life, I wasn't actually obese and I've always been very good in athletics. I've never really lost friends, I just chose to have one special friend and that's my wife. No reformed smoker attitude here.
I wasn't directing it at you, Beanz, or anyone in particular.

Old 05-12-11, 10:48 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wasn't directing it at you, Beanz, or anyone in particular.

Oh ok. I wasn't sure, but I know what you mean.
Old 05-12-11, 10:53 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Although I see your point, Historian, in that we need to accept responsiblity for our own actions, I also know how bad company can influence (bad) decisions. For example, I have friends that made a social event out of going to local eateries--pastramis, BBQ, etc... Difficult to avoid over eating if I hung out with them, and so, I no longer do. And the fact that I don't want to became a point of contention and further drove us apart.

Same with, unfortunately, significant others--it becomes a divisive point when one is striving to self-improve and the other wants to wallow in "complacency." Maybe not insurmountable, but undeniably tough...
Do you avoid parties, celebrations, weddings..... people eat a lot at those things. Where do you draw the line?

As for avoiding overeating because friends like to eat out.... well, it reminds me of some Jewish friends of mine who keep Kosher. They never avoided me out of fear they'd be unable to resist the siren call of a cheeseburger.

Old 05-12-11, 11:00 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Biking has given me something that is easy to continue doing because I enjoy it. If I can break the habit of "being too busy" to exercise biking will help me achieve my health goals. It has not helped or hindered my confidence because it's not an issue but I am becoming better friends with a few people because they are getting out and riding with me and it gives us a chance to "hang out".
Old 05-13-11, 02:30 AM
elessarcif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I am a bit different then most on here. Biking as with all of my fitness interests has put a bit of a strain on my marriage. I am a fitness nut, my wife wishes I would relax more then I do. While it has never jeopardized my marriage it certainly has been a subject of contention. Currently I am in Afghanistan but at home I typically spend about 2 hours a night on the bike(depending on how I feel I might put in 3 or more hours). On the positive side though biking unlike running is not nearly as hard on my body. My biggest goal when I get back is to get my wife into biking so we can do it together.
Old 05-13-11, 04:46 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by nfmisso
Having always been somewhat of a loner; and I do not have seemed to have lost any friends since I started commuting (12 miles each way) by bike practically everyday. I have received many many positive comments/feedback on my 80 lbs loss. Weight loss is not my primary goal; it is to feel better. The last few months, my weight has plateaued, but my energy level/stamina has increased. My speed is also going up. That works for me

Some of the people I work with have said that I am inspiring them. One friend has gotten back into running, and did a half marathon earlier this year; and is planning his first full marathon this summer. I am not a runner, and he is not a bicyclist.

The latest development is the recent purchase of a Trek T50 tandem, which after a few minor changes when I get home; my wife and I will be start putting some miles on it
That's another reason to not "dump and move on" - you never know when you can be a source of positive change by example.

Old 05-13-11, 04:58 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by BigHuf
lool fair point, I was leaning more towards Nightshades interpretation though, I think I agree with the fact that if your lifestyle changes force them out of your life it likely wasn't strong, but like you said you do not know until you cross that road.

I'm sorry getting hurt put those shortcomings on the table, but like you said it may not have been so strong to begin with. I think that is kind of where I am with it.. if these things that i no longer wish to do was all we had, perhaps its best to become acquaintances.
Actually, it was a blessing. I have a much better idea who my friends are now, and who are cheerleaders. Anyone will be my friend when the weather is good.

Old 05-13-11, 08:20 AM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
You did. You had your common humanity, and your friendship with each other.

Then again, if all your friendship was based on was video games, and that was taken away, I can see the relationship breaking. But it wasn't a strong relationship to begin with. Friendship that walks on a single plank isn't friendship.
Actually, we were very similar. We both led lethargic lifestyles, indulged in an abundance of comfort foods, listened to the same music, liked the same shows and movies and played video games together. When I lost weight and became more active, I didn't want to eat the same greasy comfort foods, sitting indoors all day wasn't fun anymore. I wanted to be outside. I watch very little TV these days and my Playstation gathers dust. When I adopted a very different lifestyle, we just didn't "fit" anymore. It's not that we're not still friends, it's just that with so little in common, we rarely see each other anymore. He's happy with the same 'ol, same 'ol, and I like my new lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, but it illustrates how people can change and therefore grow apart, even if they don't abandon a friendship entirely.
Old 05-13-11, 09:25 AM
callmeclemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not that because of the positive you activley try to lose friends. But once again, much like sayre saying, my old friends; who like to play video games and sit inside, or drink and eat crappy food, don't want to do the things I do and nor do I what they.

Its simple, if they text asking me If I want to do something, and I tell them what I want to do I guarentee I wont get a text back.

Thats where the change has come from in my life.
Old 05-13-11, 09:26 AM
callmeclemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
However, I have seen both sides.

A friend who did not ride last year is now riding with me in two centuries later in the year.
Old 05-13-11, 09:32 AM
Neil_B

It's not that because of the positive you activley try to lose friends. But once again, much like sayre saying, my old friends; who like to play video games and sit inside, or drink and eat crappy food, don't want to do the things I do and nor do I what they.

Its simple, if they text asking me If I want to do something, and I tell them what I want to do I guarentee I wont get a text back.

So you text them, and they ignore you? Then it sounds like they are making the call.

Old 05-13-11, 09:44 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp
Actually, we were very similar. We both led lethargic lifestyles, indulged in an abundance of comfort foods, listened to the same music, liked the same shows and movies and played video games together. When I lost weight and became more active, I didn't want to eat the same greasy comfort foods, sitting indoors all day wasn't fun anymore. I wanted to be outside. I watch very little TV these days and my Playstation gathers dust. When I adopted a very different lifestyle, we just didn't "fit" anymore. It's not that we're not still friends, it's just that with so little in common, we rarely see each other anymore. He's happy with the same 'ol, same 'ol, and I like my new lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, but it illustrates how people can change and therefore grow apart, even if they don't abandon a friendship entirely.
I think we are agreeing in our disagreement, Sayre. Do you stay in touch with your friend from time to time? If like you he was obese, or even super-obese, you can be a model of sorts.

Perhaps I got a little heated in reply to the OP's question and some follow ups, but some of the stuff about getting rid of friends because you've changed your life, or because their life changes, smacks of a cold utilitarianism. It reminds me of that silly book of a few years ago, The Secret. The author of the best-seller advised people who wanted to lose weight to not even LOOK at overweight people.

Old 05-13-11, 09:46 AM
Neil_B

However, I have seen both sides.

A friend who did not ride last year is now riding with me in two centuries later in the year.
"Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."

Aren't you glad that you could be that light, callmeclemens?

Old 05-13-11, 10:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Can you hang out with them after your ride? Or is it a matter of there not being enough hours in the day? If I push myself on long, hilly rides, I tend to want to relax and be sedentary for an hour or two while I recover.

Personally, I get anxious sitting indoors - cabin fever - so I don't have many friends with this sort of lifestyle to begin with.
Old 05-13-11, 12:43 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
Do you avoid parties, celebrations, weddings..... people eat a lot at those things. Where do you draw the line?

As for avoiding overeating because friends like to eat out.... well, it reminds me of some Jewish friends of mine who keep Kosher. They never avoided me out of fear they'd be unable to resist the siren call of a cheeseburger.
So are you trying to make valid points, or just keyboard jousting with everyone? Of course I don't avoid weddings, nor hide in a little corner of my cave... Weddings are not an everyday occurence--eating poorly is for many, and finding "comfort" in these types of indulgences is very common.

In my case, it is not a proactive desire to be rid of my friends, but rather, a natural occurrence when shared social environments are no longer the binding factor.

We can argue that these friendships were not "strong" to begin with, but I know that at the time, the strength of the friendship was not an active consideration for me. Again, your mileage may vary...
Old 05-13-11, 01:00 PM
callmeclemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(The texting situation works like This
Them: You want to do something this afternoon, grab some drinks or something?
Me: Thanks, but I'm gonna ride, you'remore than welcome to come.)

Time can be an issue, I work an awful lot. Just some people make the time and some don't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.