Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Riding vs Cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Riding vs Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 02:39 PM
Viking55803

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Riding vs Cycling

I'm an old man who fell in love with cycling as a young man. Now, coming back from heart bypass surgery cycling has once again enriched my life far beyond my expectations. I never imagined I could enjoy cycling as much or more than I did 45 years ago, but that's how it feels.

I had to take a week off the bike after cataract surgery 6 days ago. Today I wanted to wake up my legs and did a beautiful ride up the North Shore of Lake Superior, the scenic route, on nicely paved wide shoulders with no need to put a foot down for 2 hours of steady riding. I actually did an out and back and took a snack break in the middle of a 30 mile ride. With only about 600 feet of climbing up and down the rocky terrain of the North Shore it was easy to keep a nice tempo. As usual, the weather changed two or three times from overcast and calm to partly sunny to breezy and foggy on the way back. Lake Superior is a true force of nature and riding along its shore is always a sensually rich experience.

While moving along I took a break from the sensations to daydream a bit. I was thinking about how the way most folks refer to cycling - riding a bike or biking - are just inadequate words to describe how I think or feel about what I am doing. Riding a bike seems to be more about getting from here to there, while cycling seems to be about being on the bike. It doesn't really matter where I go, how far I go, or how long it takes me as it does about the experience itself. Of course, the cliche' comes to mind: it's not about the destination, but he journey, but sometimes cliche's are apt, and I think cycling embodies that in a way few other activities do.

Not that any of this matters, of course. I was pulled out of my daydream by a complaining leg. Every cyclist knows what I'm talking about: a leg or legs start squawking. It's not a cramp, exactly, but something like that. I shifted to a higher gear and dropped my tempo, powered up the next hill and the leg shut up. My butt even began to get a little tender - even a week off the bike at my age has consequences. Still, I feel like I woke up and for me that's what cycling is about.
Old 08-09-15, 02:44 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Keep your old butt happy by standing once in awhile as you pedal.

Old 08-09-15, 02:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I don't know what the right word is - I tend to prefer "cycling, like the OP", but I do know that at the right moment, bicycle riding is transcendental in a way that is hard to describe unless you've felt it.

Or, as I read last year,

"I asked Robin Williams why he loved riding a bicycle so much. He said it was the closest you can get to flying."
Old 08-09-15, 03:04 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not much concerned with what we call it, but I empathise with your feelings about being on the bike. I'm often asked what I think about when on a long ride, or when touring, and the answer, often, is nothing. I'm not thinking, I'm just being. It's highly meditative and, I think, extremely good for my mental health. The modern description of it is "mindfulness" - being in the moment, aware of one's relationship with one's surroundings, in contact with the physical rhythms of the activity. I feel whole when on the bike.
Old 08-09-15, 03:08 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was putting on my helmet and gloves after a break during a ride this morning. A woman came around the corner and saw me and asked "is it fun"? My answer was yes, I feel like a 12 year old kid when I'm on the bike. I'll be 60 in a few months.
Old 08-09-15, 04:05 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Attached Images
Old 08-09-15, 04:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Bicycling/cycling/biking/bike-riding/whatever-you-want-to-call-it helps keep me immature...............................
Old 08-09-15, 04:49 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I got started late at cycling (age 12), but I never gave it up or took a long break from it. It remains the one sport I have truly loved. I have always been essentially devoid of athletic ability, but I ride for transportation, for recreation, for fitness, and for camaraderie (both on the road and online).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-09-15, 05:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Viking55803
…. Today I wanted to wake up my legs and did a beautiful ride up the North Shore of Lake Superior, the scenic route, on nicely paved wide shoulders with no need to put a foot down for 2 hours of steady riding. I actually did an out and back and took a snack break in the middle of a 30 mile ride. …

While moving along I took a break from the sensations to daydream a bit. I was thinking about how the way most folks refer to cycling - riding a bike or biking - are just inadequate words to describe how I think or feel about what I am doing. Riding a bike seems to be more about getting from here to there, while cycling seems to be about being on the bike. It doesn't really matter where I go, how far I go, or how long it takes me as it does about the experience itself. Of course, the cliche' comes to mind: it's not about the destination, but he journey, but sometimes cliche's are apt, and I think cycling embodies that in a way few other activities do.

Not that any of this matters, of course. I was pulled out of my daydream by a complaining leg…Still, I feel like I woke up and for me that's what cycling is about.
Just last week I was discussing cycling, while riding with a “roadie” Bike Forums subscriber I had recently met, and I was somehow prompted to comment that I posted more to BF as an experience than about the technical or mechanical aspects of cycling. So in considering your post, my first thought was I think I see the distinction you are drawing, but then thought it seems to hint a bit of elitism…I am a real cyclist; the others are just riding their bikes, though I presume that was not the intent.

So for example, are the subscribers who post to C&V, or Bicycle Mechanics and rave about parts and models real cyclists? Or are cycle commuters who slog through urban environments constantly on the alert for danger, real cyclists? Or Adovocacy&Safety and Living Car Free subscribers who advocate on behalf of cycling, really cyclists?

Not that this matters of course, as you said, and I’m not being argumentative; just reflecting on your thoughtful post. I would suggest a definition of a cyclist as one who claims to being a cyclist. For me I make that claim by describing that I live a cycling lifestyle. IMO this is distinctive, and a virtually “alternative” lifestyle.

But to get back to the immediate experience you described, as I understand it, I describe to myself as "becoming one with the bike." I'll leave the roadie vs Fred distinction for my previous "Fred Manifesto".
Old 08-09-15, 05:34 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
I'm proud to be Fred, AND a cyclist! I know I'm Fred because I wear Keen road biking sandals and wave at fellow cyclists.
Old 08-09-15, 05:43 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Viking55803
I'm an old man who fell in love with cycling as a young man. Now, coming back from heart bypass surgery cycling has once again enriched my life far beyond my expectations. I never imagined I could enjoy cycling as much or more than I did 45 years ago, but that's how it feels.

I had to take a week off the bike after cataract surgery 6 days ago. Today I wanted to wake up my legs and did a beautiful ride up the North Shore of Lake Superior, the scenic route, on nicely paved wide shoulders with no need to put a foot down for 2 hours of steady riding. I actually did an out and back and took a snack break in the middle of a 30 mile ride. With only about 600 feet of climbing up and down the rocky terrain of the North Shore it was easy to keep a nice tempo. As usual, the weather changed two or three times from overcast and calm to partly sunny to breezy and foggy on the way back. Lake Superior is a true force of nature and riding along its shore is always a sensually rich experience.

Not that any of this matters, of course. I was pulled out of my daydream by a complaining leg. Every cyclist knows what I'm talking about: a leg or legs start squawking. It's not a cramp, exactly, but something like that. I shifted to a higher gear and dropped my tempo, powered up the next hill and the leg shut up. My butt even began to get a little tender - even a week off the bike at my age has consequences. Still, I feel like I woke up and for me that's what cycling is about.
A beautiful essay, Viking!
Old 08-09-15, 05:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
...Or, as I read last year,

"I asked Robin Williams why he loved riding a bicycle so much. He said it was the closest you can get to flying."
Funny you should mention Robin Williams because just his afternoon I watched a documentary about his life and death, and did not hear a word about his passion for cycling.

The main reason I’m quoting this post is because I recently got embroiled in a brouhaha on Bike Forums about expensive bicycles (I have one). Opponents of such high end bikes argued that there is a limit in price to what one can achieve. Proponents pointed out that just a test ride cannot give the proper sense of the ride, and I’m ever-increasing in my delight even after two years.

Anyways, one description of the experience I later thought of was the flying analogy. I presume many people have flying dreams. For me I take a little running start and fly effortlessly and smoothly at a speed between walking and cycling, at about eight feet off the ground, and while in flight it seems so real to me. When riding my high end CF on a smooth, flat to slightly downhill road, that’s the closest I get in real life.
Old 08-09-15, 05:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Biker

Cyclist

Does that solve your dilemma?
Old 08-09-15, 05:49 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Funny you should mention Robin Williams because just his afternoon I watched a documentary about his life and death, and did not hear a word about his passion for cycling.

The main reason I’m quoting this post is because I recently got embroiled in a brouhaha on Bike Forums about expensive bicycles (I have one). Opponents of such high end bikes argued that there is a limit in price to what one can achieve. Proponents pointed out that just a test ride cannot give the proper sense of the ride, and I’m ever-increasing in my delight even after two years.

Anyways, one description of the experience I later thought of was the flying analogy. I presume many people have flying dreams. For me I take a little running start and fly effortlessly and smoothly at a speed between walking and cycling, at about eight feet off the ground, and while in flight it seems so real to me. When riding my high end CF on a smooth, flat to slightly downhill road, that’s the closest I get in real life.
Well, if you haven't already, you may care to read the original article from which I found the quote. It's chiefly about Robin Williams' love of very expensive bicycles. Of course, he could afford them. Reading the article made me wonder what has become of his supposedly incredible collection...

Robin Williams and Dario Pegoretti: The Comedian and the Bike Builder - WSJ
Old 08-09-15, 06:57 PM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I have returned to cycling after a very long time...one of the best decisions I have made in a long time.

There is a joy I get from cycling that makes me happy to be alive. My favorite ride is on an 11 mile trail that goes by a river and a train and woods and a university and even some civilization. I try to be friendly and say hello to everyone, but sometimes I am lost in the moment, and hardly see them...dangerous, I know.

So, I know my psyche likes cycling, and my old body is trying to catch up. For now, about 60 miles a week seems to be my limit. But I want more of that joy, so I find myself plotting how to ride more.

So, however this has happened, I am thankful.
Old 08-09-15, 07:13 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many paths to joy so I don't like to tell others how to ride. For myself an slow ramble puts me in a wonderful balanced state
that lets me forget about my cares.

Charlie
Old 08-09-15, 10:08 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
I'm not much concerned with what we call it, but I empathise with your feelings about being on the bike. I'm often asked what I think about when on a long ride, or when touring, and the answer, often, is nothing. I'm not thinking, I'm just being. It's highly meditative and, I think, extremely good for my mental health. The modern description of it is "mindfulness" - being in the moment, aware of one's relationship with one's surroundings, in contact with the physical rhythms of the activity. I feel whole when on the bike.
My wife and I almost always head out for a 70-150 mile ride on Saturday mornings. No matter how far we go there is a nice three mile climb about thirty miles from home that we go over on the way back. About half way up yesterday, she suddenly asked if she had been pedalling (we ride a tandem). I said I didn't know for sure since I was completely lost in meditation. She had been in the exact same place.
Old 08-10-15, 04:05 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I usually say to others "I'm a rider", rarely referring to myself as a cyclist. Yet, when on a ride, I'm one with the bike. It is a mechanical extension of my thoughts and desires. My eyes scan the immediate road in front for any road debris, my mind may be on random thoughts.
Old 08-10-15, 06:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I enjoy riding a bike in all of its forms. Not sure what to call myself, though...

I recently stopped at a light and, glancing to my right and seeing my reflection in a shop window, I spied another bike rider. He looked friendly, so I waved...
Old 08-10-15, 06:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Bike riding by any name is cycling !!! The only ones trying to claim "cycling" to themselves are the fully kitted wanna be racer boy group. Anyone from a 3 year old up riding a bike or a trike for that matter are cyclist. If you dont believe me google cyclist.
Old 08-10-15, 07:55 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Bike riding by any name is cycling !!! The only ones trying to claim "cycling" to themselves are the fully kitted wanna be racer boy group. Anyone from a 3 year old up riding a bike or a trike for that matter are cyclist. If you dont believe me google cyclist.
Semantics, but IMO, putzing around at 8 to 10mph on a heavy bike in blue jeans and a T-shirt once or twice a week is not cycling. It's best described as bike riding. There is also virtually zero health benefit in doing that. Cycling, OTOH, is serious riding, typically someone averaging 16-18mph over 20-plus miles at least 4 times a week. There is health benefit in that.
Old 08-10-15, 08:05 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Semantics, but IMO, putzing around at 8 to 10mph on a heavy bike in blue jeans and a T-shirt once or twice a week is not cycling. It's best described as bike riding. There is also virtually zero health benefit in doing that. Cycling, OTOH, is serious riding, typically someone averaging 16-18mph over 20-plus miles at least 4 times a week. There is health benefit in that.
Well done; you've validated rydabent's point -- assuming you were "serious".
Old 08-10-15, 08:18 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Well done; you've validated rydabent's point -- assuming you were "serious".
I'm never "serious." BUt, there really ought to be a distinction between a serious "cyclist" and someone who is just out riding a bike.
Old 08-10-15, 08:20 AM
choteau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride at 10-12 mph and cover around 30+ miles 3 -4 times a week. Most of my friends and relatives refer to me as ......... Tim, who rides his bike
As to having to be fast or spandex clad to be serious, I say bullsh+t

Last edited by choteau; 08-10-15 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 08:25 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I know this. More than one recovery day and I go into withdrawals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.