Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber buffed/scratched frame. Should I worry?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 09:28 PM
DonRafa
Love 2 Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I just bought a brand new Giant Propel Advanced 1 Disc 2021 in matte black color. This has been my dream bike for quite some time and I was glad to finally receive it last week after a long wait.

When I picked it up from my local Giant retailer, I saw that the outside part of the right seat stay had the matte black carbon fiber surface "buffed" to a shiny black color probably due to transport (carton package repeatedly rubbing against frame during storage and transport, I assume) but I paid no big attention to this at the moment.
After arriving home and inspecting the bike in more detail, I saw that a noticeable part of the right seat stay had the matte carbon fiber surface buffed to a shiny black color, due to the package's on-going rubbing against the frame I presume, as explained above.

Even though this appears to be only a "cosmetic issue" with that specific part of the frame, there are however a couple if minuscule scratches (not noticeable when passing my fingernail) as a result of the package rubbing against the frame excessively in two areas. I've read that lateral impact/stress on carbon fiber may damage the structure and this kind of rub against the frame seems quite excessive.

Should I be worried that the frame may have a structural issue based on the evidence presented? Or is it just a cosmetic unfortunate event during transportation, that will not compromise the frame's integrity in the long run.

Thanks,

Rafael

Last edited by DonRafa; 03-26-21 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 12:17 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Pictures?