Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I adjust the bearings on this pedal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 03:05 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

I bought these Odyssey Twisted PC pedals for my son’s bike. They felt dry and rough out of the box so I opened it up to grease and adjust

The problem is that there is nothing between the cone nut and the locknut. When you tighten the lock nut the cone also turns with it. There is no keyed washer between the two like you’d expect to see. How do I hold the cone nut stationary while tightening the lock nut?
Old 05-15-23, 06:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I bought these Odyssey Twisted PC pedals for my son’s bike. They felt dry and rough out of the box so I opened it up to grease and adjust

The problem is that there is nothing between the cone nut and the locknut. When you tighten the lock nut the cone also turns with it. There is no keyed washer between the two like you’d expect to see. How do I hold the cone nut stationary while tightening the lock nut?
Pedals are difficult. Too little room for two wrenches. Yes, you tighten the lock nut agains the cone nut like any cup and cone system. The problem is holding the cone stationary. The only way I’ve figured out how to do it is to push a screw driver against the flats of the cone so that the cone won’t turn and use a socket on the locknut. There usually isn’t a lot of room to work with.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-15-23, 07:02 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I have used very skinny needle nose pliers to hold the cone stationary from an angle, allowing me to get a socket on the lock nut.
Other advice is to jam the cone nut with a small screwdriver so that it can’t spin, and then using a socket to tighten the lock nut. But, the screwdriver might not allow you to get the socket on because the screwdriver thickens out and there isn’t room for the socket. So, I’ve used the flat part of an old blade spoke to jam the cone nut and that gives me enough space to get a thinner, deep socket onto the lock nut.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-15-23 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-15-23, 07:22 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
For Shimano pedals with this type of bearings, they have special tools to do the adjustment. Don't know what the sizes of each socket is & if it would be usable for any other makers' pedals.

Likes For KCT1986:
Old 05-15-23, 07:23 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
if you have a welder handy, you can determine the cone Hex size, cut down a deep socket, attach a handle to that remnant, then use a 1/4 drive 10, 12, or whatever to tighten the Jam nut... I've made a couple tools like that for valve adjustments over the years... Snap-on used to sell similar tools, but expect to cut off an arm and half a leg to buy one.....

( i usually just use a screwdriver to hold the cone... i set the driver in place, then TWIST the blade to wedge the Cone.... and it will take a few tries to get the right tension on the bearing.)

Last edited by maddog34; 05-15-23 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-15-23, 07:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
At one time Shimano did make a tool for adjusting some of their pedal bearing preloads. Basically two thin wall sockets, one inside the other. Even still the process wasn't as slick as hubs are. Andy
Old 05-15-23, 10:00 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Get a refund. THey are GARBAGE. I bungled into similar. Those 1/16" bearings are totally STUPID. They can NEVER feel right with ZERO play possible.
Old 05-15-23, 10:54 PM
icemilkcoffee 

I ended up using a tiny flat screw driver to try to immobilize the cone. It barely worked. But it certainly doesn't give me any reassuring feeling of tightness. We'll see how long this one holds.
The Shimano tool is still available it turns out, but it's too small for the 12mm/15mm nuts here.
Old 05-15-23, 11:56 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
If the axle is keyed, you may still be able to get washers from Scott at SD bicycle garage.

Scott at SD BICYCLE GARAGE has those keyed washers for Campagnolo and KKT pedals.

info@sdbicyclegarage.com
​​​​​​​
Old 05-16-23, 08:14 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I ended up using a tiny flat screw driver to try to immobilize the cone. It barely worked. But it certainly doesn't give me any reassuring feeling of tightness. We'll see how long this one holds.
The Shimano tool is still available it turns out, but it's too small for the 12mm/15mm nuts here.
To be clear, I didn’t say it worked well. Not many people I’ve ever run across like to rebuild pedals and usually don’t bother. Pedals…especially ones with loose bearings…are relatively cheap and not worth too much bother to rebuild. I have a number of cartridge bearing pedals that can be rebuilt but none of bearings have worn out so I haven’t had to replace them.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-16-23, 09:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
I think you've just figured out that $20 pedals aren't really intended to be serviceable.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-16-23, 09:56 AM
icemilkcoffee 

To think that I specifically chose a loose ball bearing pedal over the sleeve bushings, so I could fine tune and lubricate them.....
Old 05-16-23, 09:59 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
To be clear, I didn’t say it worked well. Not many people I’ve ever run across like to rebuild pedals and usually don’t bother. Pedals…especially ones with loose bearings…are relatively cheap and not worth too much bother to rebuild. I have a number of cartridge bearing pedals that can be rebuilt but none of bearings have worn out so I haven’t had to replace them.
You know that term 'catridge bearing' - does it mean a sealed ball bearing or just a bushing?
Old 05-16-23, 01:41 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Needle nose pliers

I recently used these to hold the cone while locking the adjustment in.

Old 05-16-23, 01:44 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Cartridge bearing is not loose bearings between a cone and cup, but a contained unit, sealed or not. With inner and outer races, and balls (usually in a cage) between them as a single unit.
Old 05-16-23, 03:55 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
now that the topic is adrift... try just sliding a thin wall socket onto the cone hex and turning it outward 1/8 of a turn at a time... retest the tension, or lack thereof, between every 1/8 turn... USUALLY, this will NOT loosen the jam force, but WILL loosen the bearing drag...

the "no tabbed washer" design allows this trick... and sometimes the jam nut loosens too much due to really lousy thread quality control...

MOST new, "under $25" pedals arrive here with too-tight bearings... sigh...

i do similar with un-tabwashered Front wheel axle cones too... two cone wrenches to loosen, two 17mm wrenches to tighten... (ssshhh... don't tell anyone... ) correct jam tension feel is critical in this case.

Last edited by maddog34; 05-16-23 at 04:01 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-16-23, 06:00 PM
cyccommute 

You know that term 'catridge bearing' - does it mean a sealed ball bearing or just a bushing?
What streetsurfer said. The illustration on this page is a good example of a cartridge bearing…one with a seal and one without. Think of them like bearings in a cage but the cage is more elaborate.

Old 05-20-23, 06:47 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Jam a large flat screwdriver between a flat on the cone and the outer bearing race, tighten the locknut some, back off the cone to the right adjustment, see if you can tighten the locknut a little more.
Old 05-20-23, 08:02 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Buying some bicycle pedals is a crap shoot. I believe quality control is the variable here. If you get lucky even cheap $15 pedals are fine for many riders. I bought a pair at the bike shop for that and the right pedal is good. Very light, Good grip on the shoe, almost zero resistance to turn, and no play. They overtightened the bearing on the left pedal and it has noticeable resistance and grinds when it turns.

I'm tempted to buy another pair of them if the left pedal has not been overtightened. I wouldn't mind spending $30 on these pedals if they worked correctly. I threw out the package and forgotthe brand. They don't even put the brand name on the pedal. So I see the same pedals at different stores and different brand names only on the package.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-20-23 at 08:20 AM.