Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you patch tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you patch tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
Maybe the title of this thread should be, "Do you patch tubes, CORRECTLY?"
Most don’t. Most patch kits can’t.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-20-23, 05:02 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

“Rubber cement” usually refers to the stuff you buy in art stores. You don’t want to use that.
I am looking right now at an 8 oz. can of "Slime" brand "Rubber Cement".
"For Use With Patches and Plugs".
I think I purchased it from a local "Napa" auto parts store for 6 or 7 bucks a few years ago.
I have patched about a dozen or so tubes and it seems to work just fine.
Old 06-20-23, 06:21 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I think I purchased it from a local "Napa" auto parts store for 6 or 7 bucks a few years ago.
You are supposed to use appropriate patches. (Some people above are talking about using cut-up tubes.)

https://slime.com/pages/vulcanizing-patches-plugs

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-20-23 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-20-23, 06:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I keep patching them until I get a puncture that can’t be patched well, like it is too close to another patch.

I’ve run tubes with ~10 patches on them.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-20-23, 06:55 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
And therein lies the problem that so many have with patching tubes. “Rubber cement” is rubber suspended in a solvent. It will make a patch adhere to the tube on contact but that adhesion will decrease with time and flexing of the tube. The vast majority of these kinds of patch jobs will fail within a relatively short period and the rest will fail in the long term.

Rema, on the other hand uses a 2 part systems with a “vulcanizing fluid” that contain one chemical and patches that contain another chemical that catalyzes a reaction that forms bonds between the patch and the tube. The patch becomes part of the tube as the system cures and is thus a more permanent fix. Rubber cement is the JBWeld of patching. Rema is the welding of patching.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-20-23, 07:39 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Yes.
Old 06-20-23, 07:48 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
And therein lies the problem that so many have with patching tubes. “Rubber cement” is rubber suspended in a solvent. It will make a patch adhere to the tube on contact but that adhesion will decrease with time and flexing of the tube. The vast majority of these kinds of patch jobs will fail within a relatively short period and the rest will fail in the long term.

Rema, on the other hand uses a 2 part systems with a “vulcanizing fluid” that contain one chemical and patches that contain another chemical that catalyzes a reaction that forms bonds between the patch and the tube. The patch becomes part of the tube as the system cures and is thus a more permanent fix. Rubber cement is the JBWeld of patching. Rema is the welding of patching.
You are supposed to use appropriate patches with the mentioned Slime product.

https://slime.com/pages/vulcanizing-patches-plugs

https://slime.com/collections/patches-and-plugs/products/tube-patch-kit

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-20-23 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-20-23, 08:21 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Patching tubes on the road? No, not any more. Too much anxiety as you rush to do a bad job.
I carry a spare new tube. Then when I get home, I patch the old one and re-install it. That way, I'm not risking any punctures on a new tube but risking new punctures on an old already punctured, but patched, old tube.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-20-23, 09:01 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts

the park vp-1 tube says vulcanizing fluid. I pulled the chemical safety sheet on both rema and park and they are different but similar. the patches look similar except the rema's edges are serrated vs smooth. I wonder how they compare long term. I have had good luck with both.
Old 06-20-23, 09:16 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Ya, I don't patch any on the side of the road. Don't even carry a patch kit. I do carry a spare tube and if I get a flat on a ride, I swap out the tube and, depending on how far into my ride, head home. I bought one of those 4oz containers of rubber cement and I just cut up an old tube for my patches. I've had really good success with it over the last couple years. But I probably should carry a couple of those temporary patch kits, just for the off chance I get multiple in a ride. I've also heard about carrying a bill but I haven't actually done so yet.
I carry a spare tube and swap it out instead of patching. If the spare tube gets punctured I use these. Easy, Quick and no mess. And contrary to what others here may think...they work just as good as the old fashioned patches that require glue.

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...patch-kit-gp-2
Old 06-20-23, 09:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Sounds very similar to my process. I have a can of that Slime brand rubber cement, but I prefer to use a Dremel with a sanding wheel to scuff my tube and the patch (which is just rubber from a previously failed tube). But I do mine a bit differently. Once I identify where my puncture is, I use chalk to draw a box centered around the puncture just a little bit bigger than my patch. Then I scuff inside the box with my sanding wheel and scuff my patch. Once I put the cement on and center my patch I put a weight on it (I have an old moped battery that works perfectly for this) and leave it like that overnight. I've had very few failures patching this way.
FWIW, the benefit of a silver Sharpie over chalk is that I can mark it when I get home and it stays marked until I collect enough leaky tubes to make fixing them worthwhile -- often months.

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Wen I do bike patrol for PBAA rides like El Tour de Tucson, I'll bring 6-8 700C tubes plus a 26" narrow + fat, a 650B, and a fat 29". And there have been events where I've used almost all of them by the end of the day. On big events like this, I also carry an expanded tool kit with a Knipex wrench for headsets & other stuff, a 4-way cone wrench, small derailleur adjustment screwdrivers, a Kevlar emergency spoke, and my light battery-powered Dremel with sanding drum in case I have to quickly patch a tube, such as the rider with a 29 x 3 tube who picked up 3 suspicious thumb tacks in his tire in the final miles a couple years ago. And a very light floor pump to inflate these needy riders' tires in a jiffy.
Do you bring patched tubes or new tubes for your support missions?
Old 06-20-23, 10:30 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I tried patching a tube on the seam last year. It didn't work. so I bought a new one. Perhaps with more patience it would have been fine though.

Last month I got another flat, from a construction staple. I put a new tube in, but plan to try patching this one, it's not on the seam. Only this time I'll put an honest effort into it.
Old 06-20-23, 10:39 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
never
Old 06-20-23, 03:19 PM
HelpSingularity 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I only use "Rema Tip Top" brand patches. I don't remember one ever letting me down IF the tube is properly prepped and proper procedures followed.
The brand of "rubber cement" for tube patches does not seem to matter that much.
That's just been my experience over the last 50 years.

Last edited by HelpSingularity; 06-20-23 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-20-23, 03:22 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by jadmt
the park vp-1 tube says vulcanizing fluid. I pulled the chemical safety sheet on both rema and park and they are different but similar. the patches look similar except the rema's edges are serrated vs smooth. I wonder how they compare long term. I have had good luck with both.
The difference is N-Ethylcyclohexylamine that is in the Rema and not in the Park. I can’t find the old SDS for the patches I saw long ago but I’m fairly sure that the chemical in the patches is Zinc diethyldithiocarbamate or something similar. The amine promotes the thiocarbamate to form sulfur linkages in the vulcanizing fluid/patch interface. That makes new rubber linkages. These are missing from the Park patch kit.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-20-23, 05:32 PM
adlai

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I carry a spare tube and swap it out instead of patching. If the spare tube gets punctured I use these. Easy, Quick and no mess. And contrary to what others here may think...they work just as good as the old fashioned patches that require glue.

Those things exactly are the ones that don't work at all for me. Maybe for a lower psi tire they can work, but not at 110 psi
Old 06-20-23, 05:45 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Originally Posted by adlai
Those things exactly are the ones that don't work at all for me. Maybe for a lower psi tire they can work, but not at 110 psi

I've patched a few times using those Park Tool pre-glued patches.

Have had one failure where it "slow leaked" all the way home and I had to top the tyre up a few times (likely user error in patching) but every other time they've been fine. I don't go into triple-digit psi though!

Like above, I carry one spare tube, so the patches only come out at the roadside if I get a second flat.
Old 06-20-23, 06:35 PM
HelpSingularity 

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I've patched a few times using those Park Tool pre-glued patches.

Have had one failure where it "slow leaked" all the way home and I had to top the tyre up a few times (likely user error in patching) but every other time they've been fine. I don't go into triple-digit psi though!

Like above, I carry one spare tube, so the patches only come out at the roadside if I get a second flat.
I too carry one or two spare tubes so I can patch at home.
I've never used the glueless patches but with conventional patching I know that the prep is most important:
First I clean the hole area with a household spray cleaner and dry with a clean cloth.
Next a little abrasion with the sand paper (or similar)
Then a thin coat of "rubber cement", wait 1 to 5 minutes until it kinda looks dry.
Apply "Rema" brand patch and then smoosh it down good.
I've put the tube directly on the wheel and pump it up and rode away.
Back in the olden days of yore with the skinny, skinny tires I even pumped them up to 130+ psi.
Never had an issue excluding problems around the valve stem.
Old 06-21-23, 01:59 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I am going to assume this is similar to the old Velox kits. I always had fantastic results with those but my supply is running out and the prices are crazy locally and on Ama zon. Have you tried the Tip Top patches on latex tubes ?
Old 06-21-23, 05:59 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Yes, I patch tubes.
In theory, there's no limit on the number of patches, as long as I'm not patching a patch - if that happens, the tube gets re-purposed.
Practically speaking, however, by the time a tube has had time to accumulate 3-4 patches or so, it's getting worn out anyway. When a tube starts leaking around the valve, it gets used for other purposes.
Patches themselves, if done properly, last pretty much as long as the tube lasts. The only patch I've ever had fail was one I did by the side of the road in a hurry. My fault.
My Dad taught me how to patch tubes when I was around 7 years old or so (I remember the patch kit he had - it was one of those old Schwinn kits in a cardboard tube with red lettering) and I've been patching tubes ever since. My Dad was not interested in patching our tubes (hard to blame him when he had 4 kids - and we didn't want to wait around for him to get home anyway), so we always patched our own tubes when we were kids.
Old 06-21-23, 06:11 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I am going to assume this is similar to the old Velox kits. I always had fantastic results with those but my supply is running out and the prices are crazy locally and on Ama zon. Have you tried the Tip Top patches on latex tubes ?
Amazon has the very nice tool pouch size Park Tool VP-1 vulcanizing patch for $6, that works out to $1 per patch. I find that very reasonable.
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-VP-...72376402&psc=1
Old 06-21-23, 06:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don’t overthink what patch kit I get, as literally every one that uses separate glue/vulcanizer/whatever (as opposed to the quick glueless patches) has lasted and held indefinitely. Park, Rema, Nashbar, and several others I can’t even remember.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-21-23, 08:09 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t overthink what patch kit I get, as literally every one that uses separate glue/vulcanizer/whatever (as opposed to the quick glueless patches) has lasted and held indefinitely. Park, Rema, Nashbar, and several others I can’t even remember.
I agree..it always floors me a bit when these "tube patch" discussions come up and the debate goes on, and on, and on.. it's just an inner tube and a patch. I typically use Park tube patch kits, though have used many others over the years. If you get a flat, pull out the tube, find the puncture(and what caused it), use the patch kit the way it was intended to be used, reassemble the tire, pump up the tire, and continue the ride. Really not complicated. In 45+ years of riding, and getting a flat occasionally, I've never had a patch fail. Fixing a puncture in a sew-up is pretty much the same, though those were fixed at home, and carrying a spare tire is needed when riding them(many years ago...).

..people do love to make mountains out of mole hills.

ok..now we can get back to something really difficult..like lubricating a chain
Likes For fishboat:
Old 06-21-23, 08:18 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
No, not on latex.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-21-23, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’ve seen lots and lots of failures on everything but Rema. My local co-op cheaped out a few years ago and the number of failures on our patched tubes went from a few (mostly operator error) to many that simply wouldn’t stick. Many of them came off when the tube was folded for storage. If the tube were put into a tire, the patch might hold better but that’s not a problem I’ve ever had with Rema. As the old saying goes: “The most expensive tool is the one you buy twice.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.