Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Motorcycling background???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-03, 11:56 AM
~LongRider~

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been a huge motorcycle fan, my entire life. Ive found that I get the same enjoyment from cycling that I do from motorcycling, only I can get alot nicer bike for the money.

How many of you have come from a motorcycling background?
Old 08-09-03, 12:02 PM
TrekRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had motorcycles when I was a teenager. I had a 250cc BSA, the later on a 500cc BSA. When I turned 40, I gifted myself with a Yamaha 920cc Virago. I named it ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

The problem with motorcycles is they are darned expensive to operate. When you have a flat, you don't take a Park super patch out, two plastic tire levers and a hand pump. You almost have to call someone to come get the bike, take it back to the shop......

Plus insurance? I sold my Yamaha after three years because the insurance was going up and up, and it was costing me more than the bike was worth.

For the money I put into the Yamaha, I could have had a LeMond Tete d'Course, a top of the line LiteSpeed and a Cannodale R3000, and had money left over for a pair of Sidi Genius 4's. Well, not quite, perhaps just the Tete d'Course.

You are right about the enjoyment of riding, however. The only difference on my bike is it is a lot healthier! A lot harder going up hills, too, but what the heck, you can't have everything.
Old 08-09-03, 12:04 PM
~LongRider~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just love the wind in my face, and the freedom of it. The exercise isnt bad either.
Old 08-09-03, 10:00 PM
Cadillac

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked 11 years in a motorcycle shop where I rode all kinds of motorcycles (Honda, BMW, etc.). I sold my last motorcycle about a year ago to my wife's brother. It was a 1975 CB550-four in mint shape -- now a collector's item. I bought it for the Frugal 500. That's an event where you have to buy a bike and get it road-worthy for under $500 and ride it in the 500 mile ride. It cost me about $350 (including repairs) and rode flawlessly.

I enjoyed riding the motorcycles, but there is something to be said about covering long distances (centuries and more) on your own steam. Motorcycles pass me -- and I am sure they are thinking, "What a slow means of transportation." But I am not out there to impress anyone but myself.
Old 08-10-03, 07:25 AM
bumpdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a motorcycle background as well. I road a lot of dirt when I was younger and then more recntly in 2000 bought myself a YZF 600r. In 2002 I solf the 600R and bought myself the R6. And just this past December bought a 2003 Harley. Sold the R6 in May. I have just recently bought a road bike to accomplish a few things. One get back into shape and two, possibly get involved in some road racing locally. Just bought the 2003 Cannondale r1000 with some minor upgrades to the front derailer and the bottom bracket.

Good luck with your new hobbie! I can't wait to get on my new bike and see what I've been missing.
Old 08-10-03, 07:36 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dirt bikes form 12 to 33 years old.My last was a yamaha 465.I notice i use some of those skills from habit and they help.I was always in the rear because i had the tools for the others that broke.If it wasnt for my back,i'd still be riding.
Old 08-10-03, 09:28 AM
Patch29

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I started riding motorcycles last year. I was looking for something that I could cover more miles in a day and enjoy the ride. I feel that cycling when I grew up helped me to make an easy transition to the motorcycle. I prefer riding dual purpose motorcycles, so I can toss in a little dirt riding. I still enjoy cycling more, would like to tour the country on a bicycle and definitely like the health benefits, but the motorcycle is great when you need to cover a lot of miles in a limited amount of time.

I currently ride a 1990 Honda Transalp. Here is a photo from a recent trip in Eastern Colorado.

Old 08-10-03, 09:38 AM
dschoppe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me among the motorcyclists as well. My current rides include a Buell Firebolt XB9R, a Kawi KLR650, Yamaha R6, and a Honda GL1800 Wing. I also enjoy dirt biking, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to enjoy all these hobbies (habits, I think my wife would say), so I sold my KTM 520EXC last year.

The only non-motorized bike I own now is my Litespeed Tuscany, and since I've been spending more time with it lately, I think my other bikes are getting jealous ;-)

As far as I'm concerned, all vehicles with two wheels are great. Have fun!
Old 08-10-03, 09:58 AM
mikescooling

Bikes: Trek 520 and a Schwinn MTN bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one dirt bike, one Honda 750, one Harley. The dirt bike, I broke my leg. The road bike, I crashed and the Harley got sold to some uppy who really wanted it?
As I get older I start thinking about missing work due to goofing around, I can’t get injured . sorry guys I'm old 26 going on 50 but trying to look good doling it.
My off road biking helps MTB'ing, The only difference is when I hit things on the MTB I'm going slower. If I knew I was going to live this long I would have take better care of my self.
Old 08-10-03, 10:45 AM
spexy
XtraSuperPlatinumMember

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride. My last was a 97 Sportster but I got pretty spooked on a few occasions. I don't know if it's more or less dangerous than cycling but it felt that way. Lately, I'm happy to ride my road or MTB bikes and get a thrill out of going half the speed I did on my Harley. Quieter and easier to maintain too.

I did find that my motorcycle skills have helped me on the bike and I pay attention to motorcyclists when I'm driving as well. I may get back into motorcycles when I'm older and have less to lose.
Old 08-10-03, 01:29 PM
Cadillac

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, here's a pic of my last motorcycle -- 1975 CB550-four

I also have a complete gallery of Honda motorcycles on the following site:
Click here to visit my Honda Gallery

Last edited by Cadillac; 08-10-03 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-10-03, 01:32 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride quite a bit. Let's see, in the past I've ridden the following:

Suzuki GT-380 - Once road it form Charleston, SC to Myrtle Beach and back.
Yamaha Seca 650 - Shaft driven bike with huge 8 inch headlight
Husky 430 dirtbike - kept lowsiding it on the trails by locking up front brake
Honda CBR-100 - Landshark of a motorcycle - very comfortable to ride though.
Kawaski EX-500 - Used to road race one of these. I've had at least 1/2 a dozen of them
Honda CBR-600 - Probably the best bang for the buck out of any bike I've owned. Use it for riding to night school and back while I was completing my BS degree.

Zack
Old 08-10-03, 02:18 PM
HOG-I

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Thompson Elite Seatpost, Fizik Airone Saddle, Speedplay X-2 pedals, 3T Less Stem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My handle should tell all, HOG-I as in Harleys and Iowa Hawkeyes. Currently ride a 97 Road King and average between 10 & 15k miles a year. Hard to keep Bike Rallys, Centurys and cycling competitions in order. From early Spring thru Fall it seems that many events are run the same weekend or every other weekend, i.e., Four Corners Motorcycle Rally Labor Day weekend and Red River, NM Century the next weekend. Oh well, that's half the fun.
Old 08-10-03, 06:05 PM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I road Motorcycles for years. ... Honda 750 and Goldwing. Travelled and camped across Canada and the States. Now I have a bicycle and I must admit I enjoy it even more than motorcycling. There is alot more time to enjoy the scenery, stop and chat, and fuel up at many more stores, restaurants, and campgrounds. I miss my motorcycle now and then but I really look forward to my daily cycle.
Hockey
Old 08-10-03, 06:55 PM
marnan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything with 2 wheels is good for me. I started bicycling at age 4, then rode mini-bikes (B/S engines) until 12. Then raced motorcross until age 19. I loved the power of the 2 stroke engine. Bikes like Hodaka, Honda Elsinore, and Suzuki RMs. Then moved into street motorcycles, Yamaha 850, 1100, and then a Honda Interceptor. Then got married (and poor) and started bicycling. I started with a mountain bike, but found road cycling more fun and relaxing. Then started commuting to work on a touring bicycle. Now I have 4 bikes (light racer, touring / commuter bike, city bomber, and turned my MTB into a bad weather commuter).
Bikes have been a progression for me and each stage has been fun and different. I'm glad I started on motorcycles and moved to bicycles, it's a lot healthier for a middle age guy who sits behind a desk 45 hours a week. What will be next ? maybe a Vespa scooter.
Old 08-17-03, 06:10 PM
gerallt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a motorcycle when I was 22, got fed up of having to go on my knees to borrow mum's car all the time.

Had a great time, so much in fact that I rode my bike (pedal variety) much less. I regret that now!

Owned a Kawasaki zzr600, then got Godzilla, a Suzuki GSXR1100, very fast but didn't like bends, roundabouts etc.

I now have a Kawasaki ZXR750R (ZX7RR in the states, but its a '94 model, didn't call them ZX7's in UK till about '97). It's the single seater with alloy tank, flatslide carbs and bonkers 90mph first gear (though you can actually use it a a gear when pressing on, ie you really have six usable ratios, not one to start with and then five to ride, makes moving off fun though, anyone who's tried it have stalled!!!).

Have been to the alps in France twice on it, and up THE ALP, namely alpDuHuez (sp?, it's late!!). That was really great. Bought tears of joy, going up there the nday after the tour, I think it was '97.

Its only been used to marshall the club's road races for the past three years though, so its up fro sale now. Need the money!!

Riding the motorbike has helped my cycling in one way, descending. I feel happier leaning into bends than I used to. Otherwise made me fat, cost money and sometimes hurt.
Old 08-17-03, 08:06 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally posted by ~LongRider~
How many of you have come from a motorcycling background?
Bicycles first, then motorcycles interspersed with bicycles since the age of 14.

I began my love affair with two-wheeled machines long ago as most do; riding their first bicycle without the training wheels. Since then it's been mini-bikes, dirt bikes, english racers, 10 speeds, motocross bikes, custom Raleigh racing bikes, mountain bikes, Honda F series supersports and crotch rockets.... to the extent that there has always been at least one two-wheeled machine at my disposal. At present we have a garage full of bicycles and tandems + one motorcycle that I use as my primary transportation to and from work, on light errands and for the occasional "fun ride" when we just need a break from pedalling our butts up and down the mountains.

Details regarding our 'BIG Tandem" which is the 1998 Honda CBR1100 (aka, CBRXX or SuperBlackbird), depicted below, are available at:
https://home.att.net/~dos_equis/

Last edited by livngood; 08-17-03 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-17-03, 08:28 PM
Swimjim

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Sanwa, Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out with a Hodaka Road Toad. A crappy dirt bike that I rode the snot out of. I then got a Honda 360T. I owned that acouple of years and put a ton of miles on it. Then I had a series of Honda 750 K bikes and an F model. Then I got my Sportster. A 77 XLH. I sold it for what I bought it for after forty thousand miles. At least you didn't have to pull the motor on that one to work on it. I bought a 1973 Honda CB 750K3 for three hundred dollars when I got divorced. I put some elbow grease into it and put 25K on it. About when my son was born(2nd wife) I tore it down to do a top end job on it and never got back to it. That was eight years ago.
I've been riding a Klein Quantum since last year. I bought it new and its purchase price was higher then any motorcycle I ever owned, except the Harley. I must say I've had a ball on it and really don't miss the motorcycling much. I get to see the same scenery I did on the motorcycle(not to mention alot of nice looking ladies) and its more of a challange. That makes it fun.
It's alot different now with all the yuppie scum out there pretending to be bikers. They are too dangerous. You can buy a big twin off the shelf, but you can't buy experience. Everytime I see a twenty thousand dollar motorcycle parked paralell with the curb, I just cringe.

Jim
Old 08-17-03, 08:51 PM
Allezman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been considering buying a new Honda VTX 1300 Cruiser (for those longer jaunts up the California coastline). Nothing let's you experience the highway and the great outdoors better than two wheel vehicles. I have ridden dirt bikes for years. Several years ago I got into Dual Sport riding on street legal Honda XRs. I found it to be a great blend of both worlds (dirt and street) but I genuinely prefer riding my bicycle.
Old 08-17-03, 09:00 PM
Patch29

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I too enjoy the dual sport motorcycles, must be why I have a touring bike and mountain bike. Here is my local KTM dealer preping the new 950 Adventure. I would love to get one and work up to possibly riding in the Dakar Rally. Then again biking is more rewarding, less expensive and it will keep you in shape.

Old 08-17-03, 10:55 PM
packfodder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was cycling at 15 and bought my first motorcycle at 21. I'm riding a '98 Shadow Spirit 1100 now. I've taken some fun motorcycle trips, and I still commute on the motorcycle. But the bicycles definitely come first.
Old 08-17-03, 11:23 PM
skunkworxz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to be a pretty common thread. I know lots of riders (dirt and roadie) that have owned or continue to own motorcycles.

My first bike was a Honda CB550 four.. I loved it! Rode it to high-school daily.
Next was a Kawasaki GPz550, then a Yamaha XS-1100 midnight special.. loved the shaft drive on that one. Then I picked up a Suzuki GSX-1000, and learned that speed is a great subsitute for sanity :-) There are more.. a couple EX-500's, Ninja ZX-6, and some beaters I tried to fix up.

Now I have kids, and a job etc.. so I incorporate a steep and windy one-mile long downhill on my rides. I can hit 45 - 50 which feels way faster on a road bike than a motorcycle. Makes up for the fun, not near the cost of a motorcycle, and keeps the family happy!

As with most folks on this thread I agree if it has 2 wheels, ride it. Some will go faster, some will jump higher, all will be fun.
Old 08-17-03, 11:31 PM
VitaminE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After years of saving and working two jobs, I've finally got my dream bike, a brand new Ducati 998.

It works out pretty well because I can ride my bike, while my motorcycle is in the shop (often)
Old 08-18-03, 06:52 AM
propp2531

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I raced motocross since I was 13. I love riding dirtbikes but havent devoted too much time to it since I wnet away to college. Love the sport but I really feel like I am burnt on it.
Old 08-18-03, 12:26 PM
mnppunky
Indiana roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had many dirtbikes in my 33 year lifespan 78 yamaha gt80 84 yamaha yz80 , 85honda cr125 , 86honda xr600r ,89 kawasaki kdx200, 1990 ktm250mxc, 1992 ktm250mxc ,1993kawasaki kx250 , 1995 ktm300sx, 1996 husaberg fc501, 1998 kawasaki kdx200, 2000 honda cr250r, 2003 ktm 450exc. this is alot of money spent over the years but it was well worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.