Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Getting a good workout during a slow ride

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 10:50 AM
packfodder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only have time for long rides on the weekends. After several years (10?) basically away from cycling (only one charity event each year), this is my first year to keep riding year round again. A friend of mine got back into cycling about a year ago, so we often try to hook up for a weekend ride. I really prefer riding solo, but he likes to ride with someone and I want to encourage him. Our usual ride is 60-70 miles, and we average about 14-15. This is plenty for him, and he does not really have any motivation to go faster. Meanwhile, it is getting quite frustrating for me. On the same distance ride solo, I’d prefer to keep a 18-20 average. If I’m able to ride on Saturday solo, the ride with my friend is fine as a recovery ride on Sunday. But how can I get a better workout if I only have time for one ride on a weekend and that one is with my friend?

That’s what happened last weekend, so I tried something new. I pushed a rather large gear (considering our speed) for the whole 65 miles (something like a 52x14). That kept my cadence at 50-60, whereas I would normally keep it around 95. My legs feel like normal today – I can’t tell if it was a better workout or not. Will doing that hurt my “spin” over time? Is there another way I can still ride with my friend but get a better workout?
Old 08-25-03, 11:04 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally posted by cpratt25
I pushed a rather large gear (considering our speed) for the whole 65 miles (something like a 52x14). That kept my cadence at 50-60, whereas I would normally keep it around 95. My legs feel like normal today – I can’t tell if it was a better workout or not. Will doing that hurt my “spin” over time? Is there another way I can still ride with my friend but get a better workout?
How about alternating low cadence and high cadence each week? That way, you'll get a different workout that will also improve your spin and power?
Old 08-25-03, 03:52 PM
sebring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say pedal at a high cadence. It will be more of a cardio workout thanleg strength but maybe what you are looking for.
Old 08-25-03, 04:25 PM
SipperPhoto
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the same thing going on when I ride with my wife... she rides so sloooow... we're talking 8-10 mph most of the time... drives me nuts... I use this time to work on my sprinting... I will start in a real easy gear like 39/25 or so, and just crank up the rpms until I spin it out... keep it there for 30 seconds or so, and then slow down again... wait a few minutes and repeat... I dunno if it is helping or not.. but it gives me something to do

Jeff
Old 08-25-03, 05:27 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally posted by SipperPhoto
I dunno if it is helping or not.. but it gives me something to do

Jeff
Old 08-28-03, 08:30 AM
KrisA

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I ride with my wife on the bike path I will sometimes drop in behind her and spin with one leg to get a bit of a workout and work on my spin. I have to do this behind her as if she caught me I think she would get kind of mad and take it personally. I think I need an old cruiser for these rec rides, I have a hard time going anything other than flat out my mtb.
Old 08-28-03, 02:25 PM
Ebbtide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same problem on my end too. I've been riding with my buddy, then when he leaves, I ride again but don't tell as not to hurt feelings. Sometimes I'll ride for a hour or so before our meet up time.

He really thinks his abilities are on par with mine because he manages to keep close to my rear tire. He does not understand drafting and thinks it really does not help too much, but he never leads???

But, I would rather ride with a partner (on some days) than solo. I usually ride with him on a "rest" day.