Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Houston to Austin MS150

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Houston to Austin MS150

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 05:14 PM
bean4158

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Houston to Austin MS150

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has ridden or is planning to ride the Houston to Austin MS 150 in April? A buddy and I will be flying in and I'm currious to hear about the ride. Any info or comments about the two day event would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old 03-16-04, 06:01 PM
packfodder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several posters here have ridden it. A search of the posts should give you some info. Plus there’s lots of info on the official web site. I’ve done it a few times, and I’ll be there again this year (it has become a habit and I can’t break the streak now...). Do you have any specific questions?

It’s a huge ride – should be more than 10,000 riders this year. Considering its size, in my opinion the MS Society has done a great job coordinating it. The second day goes thru a couple state parks with some good hills (for this part of Texas at least). But I’m skeptical about the finish this year – I wonder what sort of logistical problems will come up since the finish is at the state capital building in Austin.

In my experience, I recommend starting very early and riding fast to avoid the crowds. Using those tactics, port-a-potties are plentiful, rest stops are well stocked (no need to carry much on the bike), shower lines are short(er), and you can claim a good place to roll out your sleeping bag.
Old 03-16-04, 06:08 PM
bean4158

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have two questions. I've heard that the first day's ride is very flat. What do you consider a fast time (MPH) for this kind of ride? If I'm able to ride above 16 MPH, should I be OK in avoiding the crowds? Second, I'll be coming from Florida, so when you say pretty good size hills, how big are you talking about. The only hills that we have here are the bridges across the Intercoastal Waterway!

We will be riding with Team Anadarko and I believe they have a tent for food, sleeping, etc. I'm really looking forward to the festivities! With Tyler Hamilton being the official spokesperson for the MS society, do you think he will come back to the states to attend the finish?

Mike
Old 03-16-04, 09:56 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anadarko has a large and very well organized team -- lots of folks from my club (Woodlands Cycling Club) ride with Anadarko and I know you'll enjoy riding with 'em! They've got a very big tent and know how to do this ride the right way. Anyway, the hills are mostly rollers with some serious up-n-down once you get into Buescher State Park. There's a bypass around the park, but you don't want to look like a wuss by taking the bypass, right?

As for the pace of the ride, you'll have all kinds from the recreational riders just moseying along to the tri-geeks who seem to think there's prize money for finishing first or something. A steady pace of 16 MPH will keep you pretty much in the middle of the pack -- if you want to get ahead of the crowd you might want to think about carrying enough hydration and a snack or two to get started and skip the first couple of rest stops.

You'll really like the ride -- it's one of the few times a year that the weather is really pleasant in this part of Texas and the wildflowers are really doing their thing by mid-April. Here's a thread with some pictures I took from last year's ride:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=24981

Tailwinds to ya!
Old 03-16-04, 10:31 PM
bean4158

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Grendel,

You have been very helpful. I went to your web page and saw the pictures. I am so psyched for the ride. I ride at an average pace of 18 + so don't think I'll have any trouble with the crowds. As for the hills in the park, I would never assume wuss status by takin ghe bypass! I did a century in central Florida a few months ago and the first half was all rolling hills. It was actually easier and more interesting than the second half, which was mostly flat and strait (i.e., boring!).

Thanks for the info! By-the-way, are you riding again this year?

Mike
Old 03-16-04, 10:51 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I'll be doing it again this year! I'm riding with the Energy Cyclers (the FMC, MODEC & Berwanger team) this time around. Are you and your friend going to be flying with your bikes or having them shipped?
Old 03-16-04, 11:04 PM
bean4158

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll be flying in on Friday afternoon with my bike. I hope to put it together and my friend and I will ride to one of the shops for the inspection. His sister lives in Houston and he will be flying in a day earlier. I will be buying a new bike prior to the ride, so I wish the LBS where I buy the bike could give it the stamp of approval.

My friend said that he thought there was a bike eval center at the packet pick-up center. Any suggestions?

Mike
Old 03-17-04, 12:29 AM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They haven't published the packet pickup schedule and locations so I don't know for sure if there will be inspection available at the pickup on the Friday before the ride. You can get this done at any of the several participating shops, but they're often backlogged and there's no guarantee of a quick turnaround. All the inspection sticker does for you is get you free labor at the rest stops if you have a mechanical issue -- it's not required in order to ride, and you still have to pay for parts if needed. One thing to keep in mind is that if you're bringing a brand-new bike to the ride then you'll be breaking it in as you go, which means you'll probably have to deal with the sloppy shifting that happens when the shifter cables settle in after initial use (50-100 miles or so). It would be good if you could put about 100 miles or so on the bike and then get the derailleurs and brakes adjusted by your local LBS before shipping it to Houston. If you know how to adjust these things for yourself and you know how to fix a flat then then don't worry about the sticker.
Old 03-17-04, 06:15 AM
bean4158

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for that information. I will be buying the bike the first week of April, so will put a few hundred on before the trip. I have no problem with the flat tires, as I've become a professional at changing them. I never realized when I started road biking that there wold be so many. I ended up buying Specialized Armadillo tires and actually rode 2500 miles without a flat. So I guess I can get away without the inspection.

I really do appreciate the information about the ride and am really excited about the trip.

Mike
Old 03-17-04, 08:01 AM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode this ride last year for the first time and will be riding it again this year. My wife is a first timer on the ride this year.

As for crowds, I think in the 18mph average, which is around where I came in last year, there will be crowds, but that can be part of what makes it fun.

I hope that I am in better shape this year for the ride as I have already gotten 4 century rides in year to date, so the legs should not be in shock. Last year, the MS was my first century.

They recently announced packet pickup. https://www.ms150.org/ms150/ride/packet_pickup.cfm

Not sure if you are staying in a hotel or with friends, but if you are looking for a hotel, there is a Courtyard by Marriott within 1 mile of the Omni which is were the packet pickup and expo will be. I can not remember if they do inspections there or not.

I too am a bit concerned about the finish line. Considering the LaGrange stop last year was a battle, I am wondering about Austin. All in all, a great ride though.

As for rest stops, I can not really say much. I stop about every 30-35 miles, get water to add to cytomax and use the porta can. I self support for everything else.

I hope to come in with around a 20mph average this year, which will still not put me in front of the crowds.

Does team Anadarko have a private start? That makes things nice on day one.

You may want to call them to ask about a Friday inspection.

Matt
Old 03-18-04, 08:37 AM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just saw an email from the MS society re: Inspections.

They will have inspections available at the expo on Friday at the Omni.
Old 03-18-04, 09:57 AM
bean4158

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the information! I should be able to get it all done on the Friday afternoon and evening that I arrive.

I do believe that Anadarko has a group start. I'm not sure how much earlier it is, but the guy that has ridden with them in the past said that it does make for an easier start to the day.

Now if I can only decide on whether to buy the Cannondale R2000 or the Litespeed Fierenza! I'm going to the LBS this afternoon to ride them both. I have to say that at this point I'm pretty torn.

Mike
Old 03-18-04, 10:36 AM
parakeethouse

Bikes: Merckx Majestic, Fuji Pro, Bianchi BuSS, Bianchi Fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MS-150 is a BLAST!

First day, yes, VERY flat. And since its spring time, those southern winds will push you the entire day.

Word of advice for the first day, TAKE IT EASY, DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!
You'll be apt to want to pass everyone and you will. There were over 12,000 riders last year so you are passing people all day long, just take it easy.
Oh, I stopped at 25mile, 40mile then 50mile for lunch.. I think I stopped 3 or 4 more times on the second half.
*After mile 80 or so, you're gonna hurt...the last mile I was really hurting doing around 10mph!
In the end I think I was out there for about 6:45hrs and averaged around 16.8mph. I think I could have even taken it easier.

Second day, hills, yes! I'd say there arent any big, big long hills depending which route you take (I took the hillier route through the Beushcler state Park, more little hills lots of twisty and turning...more fun!) The other shorter route is just one biiiiig, loooong hill up hwy71.
OH after lunch in Bastrop, you'll go onto a farm road along some cotton(?) fields that actually turn INTO the wind for about 8 miles. OUCH!

I'll be riding with a team (Whole Foods) this year so I'll have 20 people to work with. My first year it was just me and a friend. We had to latch onto groups as we could find them but it was no big deal.

REMEMBER: HYDRATE AND USE SUNSCREEN!
The sunburn you'll have after this ride looks just like the pros! LOL!

See ya'll there!
Old 03-18-04, 04:02 PM
mymilkexpired

Bikes: Custom Fetish Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow its cool to see that there are a few of you guys riding it this year. I will be a newb out there (first timer yay)...

From what i have been told Team riders will leave approx 30 minutes before everyone else (easy 10mile gap) between the rest of the groups. I will be out riding for Team GE/Bikebarn and Copaxone. I have also heard that the ride is going to be longer this year, they want to end close to the capitol steps (i heard a few blocks away actually).

parakeethouse, i didnt realize wholefoods had a ride team. How did yuo find out about there team?
Old 03-19-04, 09:02 AM
parakeethouse

Bikes: Merckx Majestic, Fuji Pro, Bianchi BuSS, Bianchi Fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymilkexpired
Wow its cool to see that there are a few of you guys riding it this year. I will be a newb out there (first timer yay)...

From what i have been told Team riders will leave approx 30 minutes before everyone else (easy 10mile gap) between the rest of the groups. I will be out riding for Team GE/Bikebarn and Copaxone. I have also heard that the ride is going to be longer this year, they want to end close to the capitol steps (i heard a few blocks away actually).

parakeethouse, i didnt realize wholefoods had a ride team. How did yuo find out about there team?
If you're not on a team, you'll be waiting for well over an hour to two hours, AT LEAST.

The WFM team is all employees from Houston. I'm the only one from San Antonio. WeE'll get a team tent, they pay our registration, we get jersies. Hey, why not!

Good Luck!
Old 03-19-04, 11:27 AM
Sparky511

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welp, thank you all who do ride the MS150. I have MS, and I have been training w/ my s/o (MyMilkExpired) since he started training, and have been getting better at cycling myself! I will not ride in the MS150 this year, but hopefully I will be strong enough next year to do it.
Old 03-19-04, 03:37 PM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sparky -

Hope to see you there next year. One of our team members also has MS. It is always surprising how MS touches so many lives.
Old 03-30-04, 05:57 PM
bean4158

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Greetings all,

Just returned from Colorado following a ski vacation. Had a great time until I had this little accident. Hit a patch of ice while trying to stop at very high speeds. You know the rest. Slight shoulder separation with torn ligaments. I see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. I've already been told that it won't need surgery, so will what rehab protocol he will recommend. I guess I should tell him that I'll be traveling to Houston for the ride on the 16th! Reguardless of the outcome of the appointment, I will be riding.

Bought my new bike today. I ended up buying a Cannondale R1000 and upgraded it to all Ultegra. Also added carbon seat post and carbon aerobars. I think the only difference between the 1000 and 2000 is the Ksyrium Elite wheels instead of the ultralights.

Mike
Old 03-31-04, 08:19 AM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accidnet. Though the ride is important, if it is going to cause more damage to your shoulder, HOLD OFF....you can always do another MS ride this year.

Otherwise, good luck on the ride. I would say I would look for you, but there is only a 1 in 10000 chance to see you. <G>

I am now tapering down. Went and did hills in Huntsville last weekend - Did a hilly 102 miles on Saturday and a flat Metric on Sunday. Easter Hill Country Bicycle tour next weekend and the the MS here I come.
Old 03-31-04, 12:25 PM
H.I. McDonnough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add one more on here that will be making the ride. I cannot add to what's already been posted except I can't wait for the hills in Bastrop!
Old 03-31-04, 03:58 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
My wife and I are riding with the ExxomMobil team. This will be our first MS150 since '91. We did it in '89-91 when it was much smaller event with around 5000 or so riders. I can't imagine over 10,000 that will be there this year. She goes around 14-16 mph so it will be a long ride for us. I hope to keep her out of at least half of the rest stops to help with the pace. Good luck everyone!
Old 03-31-04, 04:06 PM
bean4158

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pcsanity1
Sorry to hear about the accidnet. Though the ride is important, if it is going to cause more damage to your shoulder, HOLD OFF....you can always do another MS ride this year.

Otherwise, good luck on the ride. I would say I would look for you, but there is only a 1 in 10000 chance to see you. <G>

I am now tapering down. Went and did hills in Huntsville last weekend - Did a hilly 102 miles on Saturday and a flat Metric on Sunday. Easter Hill Country Bicycle tour next weekend and the the MS here I come.

Thanks for the feedback. I just got home from the Orthpedic Surgeons office. He said that it is all soft tissue damage and that the shoulder was never really separated (as the ER doc said). He said to ride as long as the pain didn't get worse. I'm planning to go out for a ride in the next few minutes and see how it feels. We'll see!!!

Mike