Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikeforums "Century-a-month" club

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikeforums "Century-a-month" club

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 02:19 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by outashape
Did June's century on 6/23 on Pedal to the Peaks. 118 miles with 8140 feet of climbing. Slowest century this year.
Must be the warm weather, right?

That is all.
Old 08-01-04, 12:57 AM
Chris L

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Incidentally, for those who are wondering. I did two centuries in July. 166km two weeks back, and then last week's 250km Repentence ride (with 2,628 metres of climbing). I better not bugger this up now.

That is all.
Old 08-01-04, 11:44 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Bikes: Ibex Corrida LT 4.4 (2003), 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (Red)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Completed my metric on 7-31. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. I wanted to do it on a day that was less than 100 degrees F.
Old 08-22-04, 09:40 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Completed a full century yesterday. It was the Smog to Surf ride put on by the Riverside Bicycle Club. Went from Riverside to Huntington Beach and back. Total was 106.46 miles.

I did things a little differently from my first full century back in February. I made a conscious decision to pace myself at the start. I kept my speed to around 16-17 mph. I utilized all the rest stops, but was careful not to stop for too long. Lunch was provided at the halfway point. I had a burger, some beans, and some roast beef. Topped off my water bottles and started back. I was able to keep my speed around 15 mph for most of the way back. Once I got to mile 85 the bear got me. My speed slowed to 14, then 12 miles per hour. I spent a little extra time at the final rest stop. I was only going about 10 mph for the final 15 miles, coasting whenever I got the chance.

Final numbers: Distance. 106.46 miles; Saddle time, 7 1/2 hours; Total time, 9 hours 15 minutes; average speed 14 mph.
Old 08-22-04, 09:49 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Some how I missed this thread. I've been doing a century a month so far since April. Actually more like two a month. I do two races a month and on the weekends I don't race I try to get a 100 mile ride in. Anyway Yesterday I broke my goal of a 5 hour century. It's hard for me to do that because there is all mountains around here. But this ridethe 'Burkes Garden Century' is a nice 2% grade to a decent mountain climb that decends into a 'caldera' like basin. It's beautiful. A high plain basin with 360 degrees of mountains around you. A big loop in the garden, climb back out and then the 2/3% grade with a beautiful tail wind the whole 40 miles back. There was a down pour for the last 30 miles that made it interesting but anyway nice to be in the century a month club
Old 08-23-04, 01:29 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
if it's 62 miles for a metric, then I could prolly pull this off one or two weekends a month

...I'm too much of a wuss-boy to pull a imperial yet
Old 08-23-04, 03:36 AM
Chris L

I completely forgot about this! Got my August century a couple of weeks ago when myself and a friend of mine owned the firebugs 169% and headed to the Tweed Valley where we were immune to the smoke. Probably my slowest century of the year, but who cares -- it still counts! Four months to go.

That is all.
Old 08-23-04, 04:31 AM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally forgot to post to this thread almost all year. I got my 10th century of the year in a couple of weeks ago. Jan -1, Feb -1, Mar -3, Apr -1, May -1, June -1, July - 2

Going for another next weekend.
Old 08-24-04, 10:15 AM
packfodder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread seems to quickly work its way back to page 2.

Still on track here. 3 in July and one in August (another double). That puts me at total of 13 for the year, 2 being doubles.
Old 08-24-04, 11:24 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
I completely forgot about this! Got my August century a couple of weeks ago when myself and a friend of mine owned the firebugs 169% and headed to the Tweed Valley where we were immune to the smoke. Probably my slowest century of the year, but who cares -- it still counts! Four months to go.
Oh bloddy hell I just reread the original post. Nope not every month of the calendar year for me. Come end of November it's too damn cold
Old 09-12-04, 06:16 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Completed my September Metric yesterday. Started at 6:00 am in order to beat some of the heat. I think it got up to 103 F here yesterday.
Old 09-12-04, 09:45 PM
Chris L

What do you get if you cross 232.7km and 3,304 metres of climbing?

It's called "The Wonders of Glorious Mee". Of course, the actual ride itself isn't quite so intense. I got an extra 20km from riding to and from the start.

Either way, September is well and truly on the board.

That is all.
Old 09-14-04, 10:01 AM
willic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ceyury for a couple of years. only rode it because it was the featured route on the new www.cyclingplus.co.uk website "The kielder Loop" lucky enough to be blessed with the loveliest sunny day of this poor Summer in the U.K.

104.08 Mls....
Old 09-14-04, 08:44 PM
Rick O'Getti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
Some how I missed this thread. I've been doing a century a month so far since April. Actually more like two a month. I do two races a month and on the weekends I don't race I try to get a 100 mile ride in. Anyway Yesterday I broke my goal of a 5 hour century. It's hard for me to do that because there is all mountains around here. But this ridethe 'Burkes Garden Century' is a nice 2% grade to a decent mountain climb that decends into a 'caldera' like basin. It's beautiful. A high plain basin with 360 degrees of mountains around you. A big loop in the garden, climb back out and then the 2/3% grade with a beautiful tail wind the whole 40 miles back. There was a down pour for the last 30 miles that made it interesting but anyway nice to be in the century a month club

Hey, excellent job on the 5-hour century! I did the NYC century last weekend... felt so good, I could have honestly done it twice! Thanks for the tip on the 'Burkes Garden Century'... I'll look for that one next year. Come up next weekend and do the Potomac Pedalers 'Back Roads Century' (9/19)... Should be fun, only about 1,000 feet of total climbing... Most of the rides we do in Virginia are hilly to the extreme. I like doing the Luray Classic, or SkyMass as we call it... From Front Royal up Skyline Drive, down 211 to Luray, up-and-over Massanutten Mtn (ugh!), and through Fort Valley & Elizebeth Furnace. It's about 85 miles, tons of climbing, and I did it five times alone, and once with my club. Massanutten is about 2.75 miles and rises 1,560'... Makes me cry every time.

Another good ride is the Civil War Century in MD... it, unfortunately, coincided with the NYC Century this year. The NYC Century gets my vote as the most entertaining I've ever done.

Later!
Old 09-20-04, 05:04 PM
packfodder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Covered September yesterday - 107 miles. A century doesn't really fit well in my training plans right now, so I rode slower overall and mixed in plenty of sprints and intervals.
Old 09-21-04, 01:50 PM
scarry
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
March, Death Valley Spring Century 120 m
April, Chico Wildflower Century
May,Grizzly Century, Mt. Hamilton self supported 120m
June, Sierra Century
July, Death Ride 129m, 16,000ft
Aug, Shasta Summit Century 120 m 14,000ft, another Mt. Hamilton self supported 100m
Sept, Eastern Sierra Fall Century 105m

coming up Oct 2 Grizzly Century
Old 09-21-04, 06:16 PM
Rick O'Getti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scarry
March, Death Valley Spring Century 120 m
April, Chico Wildflower Century
May,Grizzly Century, Mt. Hamilton self supported 120m
June, Sierra Century
July, Death Ride 129m, 16,000ft
Aug, Shasta Summit Century 120 m 14,000ft, another Mt. Hamilton self supported 100m
Sept, Eastern Sierra Fall Century 105m

coming up Oct 2 Grizzly Century
Wow... I am impressed...

Just did the Potomac Pelars Back Roads Century last weekend, and the NYC Century the week before. No big climbs in those rides, but we do plenty of climbing on normal club rides... I think virtually all have 3,500 to 5,500 feet of total climbs. We do lots of 60+ mile rides with endless rollers that really challenge. I did (5) solo rides of 85 miles with about 6,000 feet of climbing. Can I get credit for 2-1/2 centuries???

rick
Old 10-04-04, 07:10 PM
Rick O'Getti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last Thursday, completed 3rd Century in less than three weeks... Self-supported with a female club member, we started with 70 hilly miles (~ 4,500 climbing), and decided any fool can ride another 30, so we did... Last 15 were hard to find... ended up doing one stretch of road 4 freakin' times! I could not convince her to cut it short and estimate upwards... She said something about "rationalizing" or whatever. Hit the parking lot with 100.2 on my odometer and 101.7 on hers.

Life is damn good, as was the view from the back of our little paceline.

- Rick

PS, went 83 miles yesterday (6,500 feet of climbing, 16.3 mph ave speed)... No need to extend the ride as the Apple Butter Century is in two weeks.
Old 10-16-04, 05:31 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Got my October metric in the can. Rode up to my daughter's new apartment in San Bernardino. It was a perfect day for a ride. Overcast. Temp in the high 60's - low to mid 70's. Not a lot of wind. 65 miles.
Old 10-17-04, 01:23 AM
Chris L

174km a week ago today. I might try and sneak another before the month's out. Next stop, November 7.

That is all.
Old 11-07-04, 03:57 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Completed my November metric yesterday. The famous Solvang Prelude. Without a doubt the most beautiful scenery I have ever cycled in. 63.1 miles. Here's a report that I posted on my bike club's web site:

https://www.rbcforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10
Old 12-12-04, 05:54 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finished my December metric today. The weather was nice for a change. I rode with the Riverside Bike Club. Their "C" rides are usually between 35 and 40 miles. I figured I would ride ro and from the meeting point. It's about 12 miles one way. It would add 24 miles to my distance. Anyway, the ride ended up being around 60 miles. Add the ride to and from and I came up with 83.52 niles.