Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I don't want an adventure bike. Options?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

I don't want an adventure bike. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 02:08 AM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Time to start learning then

Look up the Tamland geo chart. Find your size and write down the stack and reach numbers. Keep those in mind when looking at other bikes' geo charts.
Yeah you are somewhat speaking a foreign language to me but I guess I will give it a go. All I know is after yesterday's ride I need a lighter bike. I did the Maple City Century actually I dropped back to the metric ride. It was brutal with lots of climbing and steep hills. My Tamland right now is probably 5 lbs. heavier than my road bike. I walked 5-6 hills and probably have only ever walked 3-5 hills on my road bike since 1992. So yeah the weight of the bike makes a big difference once you get into the nasty climbing stuff.

Zman
Old 09-25-17, 08:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Yeah you are somewhat speaking a foreign language to me but I guess I will give it a go. All I know is after yesterday's ride I need a lighter bike. I did the Maple City Century actually I dropped back to the metric ride. It was brutal with lots of climbing and steep hills. My Tamland right now is probably 5 lbs. heavier than my road bike. I walked 5-6 hills and probably have only ever walked 3-5 hills on my road bike since 1992. So yeah the weight of the bike makes a big difference once you get into the nasty climbing stuff.
Any consideration on a lighter wheelset, seatpost, and stem? If you could drop a couple pounds this way, that could be a cheaper option since you like the frame, drivetrain, and geometry so much.

Another option could be a Praxis Zayante or their other crankset. Its a 48/32 setup which would allow for a little easier time getting up hills since it would be 32/36 as the easy gear.

Remove the tires from your current wheelset and measure both wheels. Toss the weights up online for a couple reasons- 1- help others know what they weigh for future questions. 2- figure out what it'd cost to get lighter wheels that are light enough to make a noticable difference.
Old 09-25-17, 02:14 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Time to start learning then

Look up the Tamland geo chart. Find your size and write down the stack and reach numbers. Keep those in mind when looking at other bikes' geo charts.
Totally agree.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Any consideration on a lighter wheelset, seatpost, and stem? If you could drop a couple pounds this way, that could be a cheaper option since you like the frame, drivetrain, and geometry so much.

Another option could be a Praxis Zayante or their other crankset. Its a 48/32 setup which would allow for a little easier time getting up hills since it would be 32/36 as the easy gear.

Remove the tires from your current wheelset and measure both wheels. Toss the weights up online for a couple reasons- 1- help others know what they weigh for future questions. 2- figure out what it'd cost to get lighter wheels that are light enough to make a noticable difference.
If he's using the stock wheelset they weigh ~2129g. American Classic Race weigh ~1500g for $899.
Old 09-25-17, 08:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Totally agree.

If he's using the stock wheelset they weigh ~2129g. American Classic Race weigh ~1500g for $899.

Price went down to $749.
I almost bought a second pair when they had an additional 10% off sale.

-Tim-
Old 03-23-18, 03:24 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I just rode my Canyon Endurace SL 7.0. It will make an ideal lightweight & stiff disc brake sport bike. The stock tires are 700x28 Continental 4000 S II. These measure 31.5mm wide on the stock rims. The bike has enough clearance for most 700x32 gravel or Cyclocross tires. I was able to fit the 700x35 Clement USH on the bike, this tire measures 34.3mm wide.

I'll keep my Raleigh Roker for deeper or more technical gravel. However, the Canyon Endurace will make an awesome 50/50 pavement/gravel bike when a 32mm is wide enough.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-29-18 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 06:01 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I just rode my Canyon Endurace SL 7.0. It will make an ideal lightweight & stiff disc brake sport bike. The stock tires are 700x28 Continental 4000 S II. These measure 31.5mm wide on the stock rims. The bike has enough clearance for most 700x32 gravel or Cyclocross tires.

I'll keep my Raleigh Roker for deeper or more technical gravel. However, the Canyon Endurace will make an awesome 50/50 pavement/gravel bike when a 32mm is wide enough.

I have a 19.5 mile loop.....

I recently swapped tires, so last Sunday was 52 seconds faster on 700x38 Panarcaer pasela PT's than the previous weeks ride on 700x28 GP400s II tires. Near identical weather

I guess I am voting for the WIDE tire ride, unless it's a race.

Last edited by Metieval; 03-23-18 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-23-18, 07:33 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I have a 19.5 mile loop.....

I recently swapped tires, so last Sunday was 52 seconds slower on 700x38 Panarcaer pasela PT's than the previous weeks ride on 700x28 GP400s II tires. Near identical weather

I guess I am voting for the WIDE tire ride, unless it's a race.
Were both at a 12 mph pace
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-23-18, 07:43 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Were both at a 12 mph pace
funny enough, the faster ride was on the 700x38 15.4 mph average

since I went looking for the average speed. I'll edit my post to be accurate