Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living with/without a car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living with/without a car

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 04:07 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Nothing. Because I am not going against my personal beliefs. Why would someone car light or car free do less?
Sorry, don't understand - less what?
Old 04-04-18, 04:15 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I come from a long line of warriors who have defended our tribes from other tribes for generations.
That tribe, if you go back enough generations, used to be a few hundred or a few thousand people. Now, based on your comment that you "got out" (of the US military?) and your earlier assertion that you would ensure the American population had food before you would send any food overseas, that tribe has swollen to 350 million people. And maybe, with allies, a few hundred million more than that. Only one order of magnitude to go!

Last edited by cooker; 04-04-18 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 04:21 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Sorry, don't understand - less what?

Why do less for their carbon footprint? Why not give to the less fortunate? Unless that isn't part of their personal belief system.
Old 04-04-18, 04:31 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by cooker
That tribe, if you go back enough generations, used to be a few hundred or a few thousand people. Now, based on your comment that you "got out" (of the US military?) and your earlier assertion that you would insure the American population had food before you would send any food overseas, that tribe has swollen to 350 million people. And maybe, with allies, a few hundred million more than that. Only one order of magnitude to go!
If a goodly portion of that other 7 to 8 billion left over hadn't dedicated their life to the destruction of our lifestyle you mean? Not holding my breath.
Old 04-04-18, 05:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
If a goodly portion of that other 7 to 8 billion left over hadn't dedicated their life to the destruction of our lifestyle you mean? Not holding my breath.
not many people interested in destroying our lifestyle ... and goodly number that are, are in our own government---IMO.

We listen to our own news programs and think we are something.

To a lot of the world we are the loud clowns with a distinct lack of social graces. they don't like us, they mostly don;'t hate us, and mostly they realize that we don't have much influence on their daily lives and just don't care much---"Let's see what the clown are up to lately."

Most of the place we're hated are places where we are killing people .... which is sort of easy to understand.

Don't buy the propaganda from our government any more than you'd buy it from any other government.

You've seen how tribalism works up close. In a lot fo countries, the U.S., Russia, China, are nations to be milked, nations which will help enrich the current regime so they can kill the other tribes. Nigeria is a great example ... Kenya, a Lot of Africa .... and Pakistan and Afghanistan are pretty much intent on killing different tribes using our money and guns ... they couldn't be bothered with us much otherwise.

Bicycle.
Old 04-04-18, 06:33 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Maelochs
not many people interested in destroying our lifestyle ... and goodly number that are, are in our own government---IMO.

We listen to our own news programs and think we are something.

To a lot of the world we are the loud clowns with a distinct lack of social graces. they don't like us, they mostly don;'t hate us, and mostly they realize that we don't have much influence on their daily lives and just don't care much---"Let's see what the clown are up to lately."

Most of the place we're hated are places where we are killing people .... which is sort of easy to understand.

Don't buy the propaganda from our government any more than you'd buy it from any other government.

You've seen how tribalism works up close. In a lot fo countries, the U.S., Russia, China, are nations to be milked, nations which will help enrich the current regime so they can kill the other tribes. Nigeria is a great example ... Kenya, a Lot of Africa .... and Pakistan and Afghanistan are pretty much intent on killing different tribes using our money and guns ... they couldn't be bothered with us much otherwise.

Bicycle.
don't think I will go there. I had a classmate, neighbor and good friend in San Bernardino. One person was all three. Like you said, different lives.

Should I say MTB?

Last edited by Mobile 155; 04-04-18 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 07:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Some stuff …. (take as much as you need, I have plenty …)

No sensible person is trying or going to tell you you have to stop eating meat.

What people are talking about is that meat is extraordinarily expensive. We prop up the beef and dairy industry with our tax dollars as well as our food dollars. At some point people might get tired of that (like I am Thoroughly tired of subsidizing Exxon-Mobil while it is the most profitable company in the history of the human race, leasing public lands —Our land—for pennies and acre, getting the mineral rights, getting “exploration” subsidies, and then selling our own petroleum back to us a exorbitant profits.)

Some day beef might be more of a luxury than shrimp or lobster … more like truffles and caviar.

Thing is … there will always be some folks who are willing to raise small herds, and there will always be people willing to pay for beef.

One family can share a bull with ten others and have a few cows and the ecological impact isn’t too bad, compared to factory-farm-sized herds like we have now. The meat will be better, the price will be high, but for people who really want I, it will probably always be there …. Just like there will probably be people making steel-framed bicycles for years to come even if no manufacturer does.

But … beef and dairy come with a Huge economic and ecological cost on the scale we consume them … and for a lot of people it seems a pretty fair health cost as well. Factory farming is likely to go the way of coal mining … great in its time but simply not worth it any more.

(Sorry about your friend ... but don't let a few crazies represent everyone else. After all, we don't think Tim McVeigh was representative of America, right?)
Old 04-04-18, 07:25 PM
Maelochs

Unicycle.
Old 04-04-18, 09:09 PM
Mobile 155

Some stuff …. (take as much as you need, I have plenty …)

No sensible person is trying or going to tell you you have to stop eating meat.

What people are talking about is that meat is extraordinarily expensive. We prop up the beef and dairy industry with our tax dollars as well as our food dollars. At some point people might get tired of that (like I am Thoroughly tired of subsidizing Exxon-Mobil while it is the most profitable company in the history of the human race, leasing public lands —Our land—for pennies and acre, getting the mineral rights, getting “exploration” subsidies, and then selling our own petroleum back to us a exorbitant profits.)

Some day beef might be more of a luxury than shrimp or lobster … more like truffles and caviar.

Thing is … there will always be some folks who are willing to raise small herds, and there will always be people willing to pay for beef.

One family can share a bull with ten others and have a few cows and the ecological impact isn’t too bad, compared to factory-farm-sized herds like we have now. The meat will be better, the price will be high, but for people who really want I, it will probably always be there …. Just like there will probably be people making steel-framed bicycles for years to come even if no manufacturer does.

But … beef and dairy come with a Huge economic and ecological cost on the scale we consume them … and for a lot of people it seems a pretty fair health cost as well. Factory farming is likely to go the way of coal mining … great in its time but simply not worth it any more.

(Sorry about your friend ... but don't let a few crazies represent everyone else. After all, we don't think Tim McVeigh was representative of America, right?)

Never said anyone was trying to or could make me a vegetarian. At this juncture in time no reason to do so. Never heard of a world class veggie restaurant on Par with Wolfgang Pucks. I did live next door to a vegetarian that was my tennis partner however and he tried to turn me on to veggie loaf. I didn't care for it even with barbecue sauce. I do like Caviar and once got Beluga when in London. Big hit on the wallet.

We live in a world where me not eating meat today will not feed one more person in Africa, Asia, Ukraine or South America. Sending money might, depriving myself not so much. My not driving a car to see my son in another state will not add one more day to the human race if it is meant to taste the fate of the dinosaur. Right now I can get local grass fed beef and it is still in budget. How others get their food is up to others not me. If they want Tuna from Japan or beef from Tierra Del Fuego and they can pay for it I am not joining a boycott of those people.

My goal is to live my life the best way I know how. It is not to look to see if anyone else is following my example.

Recunbent.
Old 04-09-18, 02:24 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
That went from LCF to Philosophy Talk fast.
Old 04-09-18, 04:32 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What a terrible world, where all those people can make their own choices.
Yeah. The cars are really a minor part of it, though. It would be a much better world if they'd let me make their choices for them.