Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 03-09-19, 12:27 PM
RatonLaveur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the link and thank you to the lucky owner of #5 . It looks like the hinges have a polymer cap to sweep the gunk out upon folding. Though how effective this is i cannot say. Seems to work on most mountain bikes front suspensions.
Nice touch for the owner to show how functional a light rear mud guard would be as well as a minimalist front pouch. As Joe was saying it's a far cry from a full utility bike but then again I really never considered Helix to become exactly that.
The last few pictures feel almost tongue in cheek saying "yep...totally fits a regular suitcase...not".

not sure what I think of it yet. One thing is undeniable. The manifacturing looks beautiful and robust. State of the art stuff in my book until proven otherwise...
​​​
Old 03-09-19, 03:16 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ndyg0gzagmrgius/AADMPg1vhfNBbdb2_Oaeeof9a?dl=0&preview=IMG_0990.jpg

Does the bar bang into anything when folded, or is the mast resting on the tire with the bar stuff elevated?
Old 03-09-19, 03:52 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ndyg0gzag...w=IMG_0990.jpg

Does the bar bang into anything when folded, or is the mast resting on the tire with the bar stuff elevated?
Interesting,...
Old 03-10-19, 06:33 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Thanks for the new pictures and comments. Amazing how complex this bike is, it is really incredible, lots of small parts, must take a lot of time to assemble.

What would be very interesting is to see an average size male US or EU rider (between 1.80m and 1.85m) sitting on the bike to see the riding position.
Old 03-10-19, 09:33 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
This bike would do great with a Revelate bag setup. Put the Tangle bag inside the main frames. https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TangleFrameBag and put the Terrapin bag on the seat https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...rapinSystem14L I can easily see how one could set it up for minimalist camping (just add the front roll). Would be pretty awesome.
Old 03-10-19, 12:08 PM
Gibsonsean

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
This bike would do great with a Revelate bag setup. Put the Tangle bag inside the main frames. https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...TangleFrameBag and put the Terrapin bag on the seat https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...rapinSystem14L I can easily see how one could set it up for minimalist camping (just add the front roll). Would be pretty awesome.
For the seat bag, would perhaps be better served with a design specifically for dropper seat posts like the Porcelain Rocket Dropper Seat Post bag. This would allow partial dropping of the seatpost into the folded position.
Old 03-10-19, 12:39 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Gibsonsean
For the seat bag, would perhaps be better served with a design specifically for dropper seat posts like the Porcelain Rocket Dropper Seat Post bag. This would allow partial dropping of the seatpost into the folded position.
How far down does the seat have to drop on the Helix for it to stay folded? On my Pakit it has to go almost all the way down so not sure there would be any advantage but it the Helix locked with a partial drop, that would be very cool with the dropper bag.
Old 03-10-19, 12:50 PM
Gibsonsean

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
How far down does the seat have to drop on the Helix for it to stay folded? On my Pakit it has to go almost all the way down so not sure there would be any advantage but it the Helix locked with a partial drop, that would be very cool with the dropper bag.
The fold is independent of the seatpost as far as i am aware, so the seat can be in any position whilst the bike is otherwise fully folded. This is what allows the bike to be wheeled around on its front wheel using the seat as a handle.

There should therefore be no issues with any seat bag though the folded size is obviously impacted in the vertical as well as longitudinal dimension. As the Pocket Rocket Dropper doesn't attach to the post at all, it would, if it works with the sliding seat clamp, mean that the seat could drop all the way.
Old 03-10-19, 06:31 PM
MrFlamey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmm, although the weight doesn't bother me at all, the fact it doesn't fit in a suitcase is really disappointing, since that was another major selling point. Also, the backer notes that one crank arm must stick out the back when the bike is folded, which makes the fold looks significantly less clean. However, it is folded differently on the Helix site, so perhaps that's something he has yet to fully figure out.

I wish there were some more backer reviews, and Helix still being late with the March backer portal update even after bikes are shipping is a bit annoying.
Old 03-10-19, 07:47 PM
ifeelqueasy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ward00
Anyone want to trade cash for my expected for delivery in July bike?
Yup
Old 03-11-19, 05:29 AM
dmnobrien

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Rans Rocket, Cruzbike Quest

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
the fact it doesn't fit in a suitcase is really disappointing, since that was another major selling point.
Hold your horses. It doesn't fit in the suitcases in the photos, but we have no idea how big those are. One looks squarish, like a Brompton might use.

I'm very interested in the suitcase thing, because I like to take a bike on overseas tours. My Dahon fits in almost any suitcase, but my Cruzbike Quest needs the big 31" Samsonite F'Lite.

If the Helix doesn't fit in THAT, then we do have a legitimate gripe.

Oh, and hello. Been following this thread since it started. Good times...
Old 03-11-19, 06:21 AM
MrFlamey

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmnobrien
Hold your horses. It doesn't fit in the suitcases in the photos, but we have no idea how big those are. One looks squarish, like a Brompton might use.
Well, that's what I thought, but the dimensions are in the comments to the dropbox photos - all the photos have comments about the bike, so check them out if you didn't notice them before, as there are some interesting things mentioned.

The dimensions of the first case are 26" x 26" x 10", and those of the second case are 28" x 20" x 12" according to the comment, which is basically a full-size suitcase according to Delta Airlines baggage info page (here): "Baggage size must not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length + width + height". However, I'm not sure how strict most airlines are about slightly oversized luggage as long as it's within weight allowances, but it is a worry, as they might just use it as an excuse to make your pay another fee.
Old 03-11-19, 06:45 AM
dmnobrien

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Rans Rocket, Cruzbike Quest

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think my 31" plastic Samsonite is slightly oversized, but no airline has noticed or cared so far in 15 years. They look at weight and anything oddly shaped, but ignore the ones that look like conventional big suitcases.

If the Helix fit in one of these, I would have no hesitation about taking it on a flight. I'm hoping it would just be taking out the seat post and pedals and deflating the tires.
Old 03-11-19, 06:45 PM
MrFlamey

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Actually, i wonder how large the box helix is delivered in is. if you could find or make a case with the same inner dimensions as that box, you could use the foam inserts and it would be extremely safely packed.
Old 03-11-19, 07:37 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dmnobrien

I'm very interested in the suitcase thing, because I like to take a bike on overseas tours. My Dahon fits in almost any suitcase, but my Cruzbike Quest needs the big 31" Samsonite F'Lite.

If the Helix doesn't fit in THAT, then we do have a legitimate gripe.

Oh, and hello. Been following this thread since it started. Good times...
Not going to fit in the F'Lite because of the 24 inch wheels. I use that for my Vybe. My chameleon fits nicely in the Bule case 31 x 25 x 11 so the Helix should make it just a question of how much disassembly is needed. The tires are bigger on the Helix so it will be really tight.

Last edited by kayakindude; 03-11-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 09:08 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Another backer reminded us that the original hand welded prototype was shown being loaded into a Samsonite Cosmolite 86cm case (86 x 58 x 36cm). The design of the bike has substantially changed since then so it would need to be confirmed that it will still fit, but I think it probably will. This won't help anyone who will be constrained by the 62" rule but if you're constrained by weight alone this could be a possible solution.
Old 03-12-19, 01:41 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
For remembrance, the BW case for Brompton is also too big according to the 62" rule ( BW size is 25.2 x 27.6 x 13 inches = 64.8") but many people used it with many airlines without problems.

Now, the case dimensions depend how you measure them, with or without handle, wheels...
Old 03-12-19, 07:42 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
I get that Helix's claim of being the lightest folding bike has not come true, but in general, I do not understand why people are so obsessed with the bloody weight of their bikes. As someone put it earlier in the thread, when you add on your own weight, and the weight of any gear you might be carrying, it's not likely to be more than 20% of the overall weight unless you are extremely light, and in my case it's barely over 10%, so shaving off a kilogram or two isn't going to make a huge difference in comfort, or the distance you can ride before tiring. Then again, I'll admit that since I don't care much about weight, I've never tried riding an extremely light bike.

However, I have ridden a bike that I was worried was not strong enough to take my body weight on long downhill rides on rough roads, and a carbon bike that was light, but very stiff, and they sucked. I'd rather have a 10-15kg bike that is overengineered than a 5kg bike that costs $10k (unless it was a gift and I could sell it )

Is there anything else people are obsessed by as much as weight? I'm glad that Helix are obsessed by large wheels in a compact folder, a fold that doesn't come undone when you are carrying it because of some **** magnetic "lock", a fold that doesn't put a hinge in the middle of the frame, a bike that can be rolled when folded without weird little suitcase rollers and all of the other details that HAVE been achieved in the final bikes.

Do cyclist forums have as many threads about rider lean bodymass as they do bike weight? Surely you can tune your body to shave off a few kilograms, and even add power by building muscle, then you can ride heavier bikes
That was *probably* me who argued that a couple of pounds in the entire scheme of things is probably less significant. And yes, I was also referring to carrying the folded bike: does a kilogram make a difference? Sure it does. But for me, not to the point where I will obsess over it. Like you, I rather know that the bike I'm carrying - that might be subject to bumps and poor handling in transit, that will get knocked around in the back of a car, or mangled between commuters - has just that little extra robustness that it can TAKE IT and then some. And if I'm going to worry about saving those couple of pounds, I'll see if I can take it off something that is far less critical.

For me, it's also about the form factor. Everybody goes on about the Brompton, but mine comes in at close to 30 pounds with its gearing, rear rack, etc. What would make the difference for me more than saving a couple of pounds - and boo on me for not getting it yet - is a better carrying handle to optimize the "pick it up and toss" grip. Carrying it by the nose of the saddle as is frequently shown is not the most comfortable and unwieldy. The Brompton almost encourages you to pick it up when you can, but frankly, it's just way easier to roll a bike around if possible. So while I appreciate my Brompton in shopping "wheelable" cart mode, it is far from an ideal "wheelie" especially with its stock rolling plastic tires. (My wife has a Brompton without rack and the rolling wheel is on the rear fender and my god it sucks.) In this regard, the Helix may be better, or maybe worse; certainly the early videos made the Helix *look* like an easy to roll bike - we'll see.

I'm sure my thinking will be criticized and challenged again - I no longer care to engage in what a forum moderator has implied is a largely hopeless argument. I am interested in the ENTIRE experience the Helix could offer - ride, handling, comfort, safety, features, portability, convenience, looks, blah blah blah (because every folding bike is about what tradeoffs you can or cannot tolerate), and to that end, I will wait until several honest, real rider evaluations appear. Everything else is speculation.

Last edited by Ozonation; 03-12-19 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 10:56 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I find Bromptons very easy to carry from the middle of the frame. You can also buy a handle for that spot.
Old 03-13-19, 03:21 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I find Bromptons very easy to carry from the middle of the frame. You can also buy a handle for that spot.
I luv that feature,...
Old 03-13-19, 04:05 AM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
I luv that feature,...
I once fitted my Brompton with one of these carrying handles (the very original), but I found it a useless addition of 200 grams. However, one nice additional feature it had, was a shoulder strap you could attach to the edges of the handle. But then, I found that I could simply connect the shoulder strap under the saddle (Brooks) and the hinge in front , and it has been working just the same, no need for the stupid handle!
I must stress that holding the folded bike on one's side or back with a shoulder strap allows one to mingle with the crowd while boarding a train etc. And is much less offensive to everyone around than towing a folded bike in front or behind, and constantly lifting the thing and closing it again, when it hits some obstacle, and especially when in a hurry... With some exercise, securing the shoulder strap in place using the proper carabiners (such as Hero Clips), takes virtually no time, and requires no overhead during normal ride. (I've also heard that some people carry the folded bike in some sort of backpack, but I suspect the entire procedure of preparing the pack might be too time consuming).
For all I see from the pictures, I believe I will be able to do the same with my Helix (when it comes...)

Last edited by AvnerBen; 03-13-19 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 09:22 AM
linberl

I put an Off Yer Bike handle on my pakiT and used it for a while - it's a nice product. But then I realized adding a half pound+ handle to a sub 19 lb bke was kind of stupid, and it's easy enough to carry without a handle.And having short arms and short height meant it kept banging into my shins, lol. Keep in mind that handle will just add more weight.....
Old 03-14-19, 07:41 AM
bmac.to

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AvnerBen
I once fitted my Brompton with one of these carrying handles (the very original), but I found it a useless addition of 200 grams. However, one nice additional feature it had, was a shoulder strap you could attach to the edges of the handle. But then, I found that I could simply connect the shoulder strap under the saddle (Brooks) and the hinge in front , and it has been working just the same, no need for the stupid handle!
I also found the handle to be useless except for one season - winter. In the winter with thick gloves, the handle is a much more secure way of carrying the bike vs the frame. I find the frame to be fairly slippery with gloves on.
Old 03-17-19, 04:18 PM
lurker222

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interested to see the Fubifixie and Change bikes in a recent google search. HAven't seen those mentioned here before.
Old 03-17-19, 06:45 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lurker222
interested to see the Fubifixie and Change bikes in a recent google search. HAven't seen those mentioned here before.
Change bike has been mentioned several times. Do a search of the forums. No need to discuss it here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.