Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 03-17-19, 06:59 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
True, this is the place to discuss Bromptons and Bike Fridays.
Old 03-18-19, 01:52 AM
AvnerBen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Current update

The March update has come at last!
The assembly process had to be restructured, some part of the locking mechanism had to be refined, The factory had to be tidied up, and two more hands had to be hired for the finishing job. These technicalities behind, they should now be on the road to full production. No numbers yet on production rates for the remaining 1700 odd orders in queue.
Peter addresses some concerns that came at the forum. Yes, the bicycle will just accommodate in a standard 62" suitcase. The cardboard packages in which the bike ships to customers are 65", because of cardboard strength.
Peter addresses in great detail the concerns about the strength of the helix mechanism and the prospect of dirt getting into the helix, sit post and between wheels and frame. If I understood correctly, the mechanism is somehow self cleaning. The helix is built to withstand am astronomical number of foldings.
Mudguards are under design. Peter hopes mudguards, universal front bag adapter and cases, both hard and soft, to be ready for summer.

Peter also addresses the issue of weight. The frame is not going to change in the near future. However, some parts may be replaced, saving up to 1.5 pounds. The prospect of weight just below 20 pounds for 10 speed bike is not trivial but feasible.

Peter also addresses the issue of tires. Additional high quality 24" tires from Kenda to be available from the site, later.

Will I get my helices for the summer vacation? (I am in the 1300's). Holding fingers... 👌

Last edited by AvnerBen; 03-18-19 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-18-19, 09:57 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Swapping parts for a weight savings of 1.5 lbs. is not going to create an under-20 lbs. 10-speed Helix.
Old 03-18-19, 10:19 AM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's rather good that Peter addresses all the points described here. Indeed 1.5 pounds knock-off is not going to drop the whole under 20 pounds but I'd rather have the founder and CEO of helix give a reasonable, albeit disappointing to some, estimate. I know all too many people in the industry (CEOs included) who'd have waved around the prospect of major optimisation and room for progress. It seems to me like Peter says "enough". He redesigned the bike fully. He took painstakingly long to bring his vision to a compromised by realistic outcome, and I for one appreciate the attitude he's displaying. Development creep and shifting goalposts is a scourge.
​​​good luck producing/getting the bikes!
​​
Old 03-18-19, 10:29 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AvnerBen
Peter also addresses the issue of weight. The frame is not going to change in the near future. However, some parts may be replaced, saving up to 1.5 pounds. The prospect of weight just below 20 pounds for 10 speed bike is not trivial but feasible.
a) Exactly WHAT parts? Helix doesn't have that many parts to shave weight to begin with, and I highly doubt they can shave that much without significantly increasing the price.
b) Even if he can somehow shave 1.5lbs, 10 speed bike will be 23.5lbs, not "just below 20 pounds".
Old 03-18-19, 10:37 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
For the sake of accuracy, the update didn't say "under" or "below" 20 pounds.
Even a 1.5# reduction looks costly.
But my "costly" might be someone else's cheap.
$500 might do it, but I wouldn't spend it to make the change myself.
If Helix offered a weight reduction package based upon substituting lighter
components, this could be pretty cost effective...much cheaper than our
buying duplicate but lighter components after receiving the new bike.
I'd rather have Peter select the components, Helix do the assembly, while
I do no work other than paying a little extra. I could go for that.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 03-18-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-18-19, 11:34 AM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
a) Exactly WHAT parts? Helix doesn't have that many parts to shave weight to begin with, and I highly doubt they can shave that much without significantly increasing the price.
b) Even if he can somehow shave 1.5lbs, 10 speed bike will be 23.5lbs, not "just below 20 pounds".
​​​​​​The update mentions:
1. custom parts - dropouts, swingarm, wheel to-wheel-connection - up to half pound.
2. Other components - saddle, cranksets and rims - up to one pound.
Old 03-19-19, 02:38 AM
MrFlamey

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know we were asked not to share too much from the backer portal, but I think the issue of weight has been so tediously over-discussed here that having anything other than the full quote from Peter regarding weight is doing him a disservice. Here it is (this is just a small portion of the update):

The weight
I wanted to quickly address the weight of the bike one more time to lend some insight so that anyone who wishes to reduce the weight will know what to do.

The weight comes from 3 specific areas. One is the frame which for the time being will not be changing. The other is the custom parts specifically the dropouts, the swingarm feet and the wheel to wheel connector which may see about a 1/2 pound reduction in the overall weight of Helix. Lastly, there are three components that have become available in the last year, specifically lighter saddle, cranksets and rims. These will further reduce the weight of Helix by about 1 pound.

Of course, for anyone wishing to build an ultra light version of Helix, the possibilities are only limited by your willingness to spend as there is a huge aftermarket of standard components that are compatible with Helix. Everything from light weight stems, handlebars, pedals, cranksets, hubs, spokes, cassettes etc. With some loose calculations a 20 pound 10-speed Helix is well within reach.

One important note when comparing to other bikes is to consider that Helix has 160 mm disk brakes, has a normal drivetrain, accommodates riders up to 6'6", has 24" wheels and does not leave out any conveniences on the fold such as staying together when folded, standing, rolling, not dropping the chain, proper cable management etc. Future iterations will of course be a bit lighter but Helix is very rideable and functional in its current state.
Sounds to me like he first identifies a couple of areas for weight reduction that may be possible in the future, then mentions for those with more money than sense there are further possibilities if you are willing to spend on replacing standard components with currently available light weight parts. If I recall correctly, he also mentioned in a previous update that he went overboard with the Ti tube wall thickness when ordering it, and that they could get away with a thinner tube. Personally I don't really care, I just want to get my bike one day

Last edited by MrFlamey; 03-19-19 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 08:27 AM
Joe Remi

I don't think weight has been tediously over-discussed here. Some people just don't like talking about it, and for them there are dozens of other topics right here on this forum they can tediously over-discuss.
Old 03-19-19, 09:32 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I don't think weight has been tediously over-discussed here. Some people just don't like talking about it, and for them there are dozens of other topics right here on this forum they can tediously over-discuss.
How true.
There's always SOMETHING to discuss ad naseum...
Likes For FolderBeholder:
Old 03-19-19, 08:01 PM
KentS

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
How true.
There's always SOMETHING to discuss ad naseum...
For instance, what about steel? I got a Torelli Zona Cross a couple of months ago and it feels pretty good to me. Is it possible to fabricate the Helix with standard triple butted tubes in the main (only) "triangle"? Does steel make the fabrication easier and cheaper? If you use overly thick titanium in the main tubes does that wreck the legendary feel of a titanium frame? Is there actually any such thing as a legendary feel using titanium if you aren't building a diamond frame anyway? How much weight does fine triple butted steel add to the build vs. over-sized plumbing pipe titanium?
Old 03-20-19, 03:55 AM
Jipe

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
First, the legendary feel of titanium is... partly legendary several titanium frames do not provide this legendary feel (some are too stiff and uncomfortable, some are too soft and lack rigidity...).

Second, it depends of the type of titanium used and indeed of the diameter and thickness of the tubes.

Third, it depends of the shape of the frame and indeed, helix frame is different from a diamond frame what should change the feeling. For instance, the titanium fork and rear triangle of the Brompton do not provide any improvement on comfort, they just weight less than their steel equivalent. When I see the Seattle Cycle Burke, I have many doubts about its comfort.

About steel, yes, part of the costs will be reduced if the frame is made of steel instead of titanium but the complex CNC parts of Helix (and related costs) will remain.

The price of steel and weight of a steel frame depends a lot of the type of steel used. If you use the new stainless steel type like Columbus XCR or Reynolds 953, I am pretty sure you can make a frame that weight less than the current frame but the cost will probably not be much lower and again, there are all these CNC machined parts and complex design that impact both weight and cost.
Old 03-23-19, 06:09 PM
ImplodingVoice

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The price of steel and weight of a steel frame depends a lot of the type of steel used.
Great point. I know you're also referring to the quality of steel used. From what I know, the highest-quality steel endures time and wears better than the low-grade steel. I'm interested in the quality of the source materials more than the weight of those materials.
Old 03-24-19, 07:23 PM
lurker222

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike noob here. What niche does this fill that the Change bike does not?
Old 03-24-19, 07:45 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lurker222
Bike noob here. What niche does this fill that the Change bike does not?
Much smaller fold.
And it's titanium.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 03-24-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 09:45 PM
chesky

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
Much smaller fold.
And it's titanium.
How about real performance? I don't care about the size as long as it's folded, so Change Bike is better?
Old 03-24-19, 11:01 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chesky
How about real performance? I don't care about the size as long as it's folded, so Change Bike is better?
This is a bike from a kickstarter project... and the number currently out in the wild is tiny. We're talking barely pushing a second digit. This means that no one here knows anything about the performance yet. All we know are the facts of the bike. It folds relatively small for its size. It is made of titanium. It has a single sided fork. I weighs over 20 pounds.

If you like the Change Bike... then get one. No harm, no foul.
Old 03-25-19, 05:33 AM
GrantFlower

Bikes: CharlesraP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTizzy
Hey Helix backers: what was the April 8th update?
I believe this will be a quality product. They will start selling preorders in March. I have investigated Ti frames and it is not easy. The atmosphere affects the weld, hence it is more complicated than steel or aluminum. Realistically I would either do it in the USA or Ukraine. I have connections in Ukraine, and they have an abundant supply of legally obtained titanium I learned that there is a large grey market for Titanium that is not legal. Honestly last year sales doubled, and so far this year we are experiencing another doubling.....so a four fold increase in a short timespan. I have no idea what is going on but we are not setup for much more of an increase.
Old 03-25-19, 07:08 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
We'll post that when we start receiving our bikes.
I've no doubt that Changebike is better for some people & applications.
But the fold is too large for me, & the Helix is cooler, so I'll stick with it.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 03-25-19 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 07:38 AM
Raxel

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
It is up to how you define performance.

If you ignore the folded size (I do, as long as they fit in car trunk) Change BIke is better in every possible ways (Cheaper, lighter, objectively stronger, comes in multiple sizes, can use suspension fork and knobbies, etc)
If you value the folded size a lot, Helix is better. But then there are folders with smaller wheels.. (Brompton, EEZZ, etc)
Old 03-25-19, 09:25 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Isn't the Change bike either 26" or 700c? That makes comparison like apples and oranges, regardless of fold.
Old 03-25-19, 09:38 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Isn't the Change bike either 26" or 700c? That makes comparison like apples and oranges, regardless of fold.
Sort of. I *think* the premise of the Helix is that at 24", it offers a near "full size" ride compared to most folders that have only 16" or 20" wheels. At the same time, unlike ChangeBike or other full size bikes that can be folded or disassembled, the Helix offers to fold down to near Brompton-sized folded dimensions without having to disengage any parts but still offer the compact form factor that a smaller wheeled bike offers when transporting folded. So, the Helix might represent that "sweet spot" between functionality, rideability, and foldability. We're all just waiting for actual use reviews from the new owners!
Old 03-25-19, 10:45 AM
Joe Remi

Change Bike is full size and folds in half like Montague and some old (I think they still exist in Japan) Bridgestones. The comparison to Helix is uhhhh ridiculous.
Old 03-25-19, 05:29 PM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, 5 bikes shipped in February. 5 bikes shipped in March. Any sign of that rate improving?
Old 03-25-19, 08:27 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Change Bike is full size and folds in half like Montague and some old (I think they still exist in Japan) Bridgestones. The comparison to Helix is uhhhh ridiculous.
I agree. Comparing the Helix to the Change Bike is like comparing an SUV to a hatchback,... Totally rediculous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.