Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help building a gravel with 60mm/2.35" tires

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Help building a gravel with 60mm/2.35" tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 05:46 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Adding a few more off-the-shelf options:
Raleigh Stuntman
Soma Wolverine
Rawland Xsogn

I've ridden with the Schwalbe Big One 27.5 x 2.35" (predecessor to G-One Speed) on the road. It's definitely a fast-rolling tire. The ride quality with tires that large seems more sensitive to tire pressure than with narrower tires.
Thanks! I'm really looking into those tires. How long did they last on asphalt for you? I'll probably keep a pair of heavier tires for real gravel stuff or long touring anyway.

Unfortunately those 3 sugestions won't fit big tires!
Old 03-17-18, 05:49 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! Their frames look great! I'll finish my CAD and get a quote. I'm a steel fan, but it may be worth to try something different... The only pro of steel is that if I decide to go on a long tour and the frame fails, Anyone can weld and repair it. And probably would be cheaper...
Old 03-17-18, 06:06 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That was a lot of info and qurstions, so ill just stick to #13 of your post.
Consider https://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/ for 3x11 shifting. I have them set up on a 2x11 gravel bike and love the setup. Flicking the shifters back and forth is easy and the Microshift bar ends are well made.
I've seen them, they look interesting. Are the shifters Microshift?
I just think at this price I could get Athena 3x11 ergos. I already have that groupset on my road bike, it would even make it easy to canibalize one of the bikes if I crash one of them and need it more than the other.
Or I could just use Tektro levers and bar ends to save some money... The only thing that would make me buy them is if they were crazy light, as I'm a weight wheenie! But they offer no weight info for the combo...

Don't you think I can just drill a common Tektro and bolt Microshift's on them to do basically the same?
Old 03-17-18, 06:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Ericoschmitt
I've seen them, they look interesting. Are the shifters Microshift?
I just think at this price I could get Athena 3x11 ergos. I already have that groupset on my road bike, it would even make it easy to canibalize one of the bikes if I crash one of them and need it more than the other.
Or I could just use Tektro levers and bar ends to save some money... The only thing that would make me buy them is if they were crazy light, as I'm a weight wheenie! But they offer no weight info for the combo...

Don't you think I can just drill a common Tektro and bolt Microshift's on them to do basically the same?
After the novel you wrote, the last thing i figured would be a motivator was saving $50 to $80 on shifters(compared to bar end plus tektro). My Gevenalle were $160 from UniversaCycles, not sure whats available internationally.
They are microshift bar ends, yes.

Is 3x11 Campy even available new?

You are looking for an incredibly specific bike, mentioned multiple custom bikes, mentioned this bike may be custom, but saving a bit on shifters is the priority?

Just surprised.
Old 03-17-18, 06:35 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
What is your budget? Both frame/fork, and for components?

This shopping list of wants puts you in custom territory, simply on the geometry front alone. I can only think of one CF front fork that can fit 60mm tires, and it is 480 axle-crown length, so you're probably going to need a steel fork.

Fitting 60mm tires is also a problem on the chainline and gearing front.

Triples are dead WRT 11 speed indexed mechanical. Only if you use Di2 XT or XTR can you use triples with 11s. If that is beyond your budget, then you'll need to shop NOS 10s.
My budget is undefined, but the more I spend, the longer I'll have to wait to actually finish it.
But I was thinking 2000 up to 3000 full bike.
My road bike costed about $3000 with Columbus Spirit custom frame and Futura fork, Athena 3x11 groupset, 2 wheelsets (training and light climber), two cassettes, 4 chains, 3 pair of tires... 6.8kg race ready and 7.3kg training. I did research each and every part in dozes of websites and bought everything with clearance prices... Including tubes, and then I gave them to the builder with the CAD already made. But that took me 1 and a half year from the day I started researching and buying parts....
The price above should include a second pair of stronger tires probably, but only one wheelset this time.

There are 26" forks that would fit a 29x60mm, quite a lot of options, I just don't know about their qualities...

3x11 is possible in a few ways besides Athena 3x11 road groupset. Any 10 and even 9 speed cranksets will work with 11 chain, and I could even get custom rings and a Lightness carbon crank. Bar end shifters can be fit to drop bars, or I can use friction bar end for the front and a Sram x1 right shifter. Any long cage rear der should work with a matching shifter, and there are plenty front der options, including mtb and 10s road (or athena triple front, but that's made specifically for a 52/39/30 ring combo). Yet I could use Jtek shiftmate for some extra options.

I still might go the cheapest route at the sacrifice of some extra 2kg on the bike, that would save me hundreds of dollars...
Old 03-17-18, 06:38 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
After the novel you wrote, the last thing i figured would be a motivator was saving $50 to $80 on shifters(compared to bar end plus tektro). My Gevenalle were $160 from UniversaCycles, not sure whats available internationally.
They are microshift bar ends, yes.

Is 3x11 Campy even available new?

You are looking for an incredibly specific bike, mentioned multiple custom bikes, mentioned this bike may be custom, but saving a bit on shifters is the priority?

Just surprised.
Hahahaha true! It's just that I can get basically the same bike - but heavier - if I save everywhere. So I have to decide if I can overcome my weightweenism problem for this bike or not.

Athena 3x11 parts can still be found if you look for it. I bought mine 1 year ago for $160

Last edited by Ericoschmitt; 03-17-18 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 07:47 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks! I'm really looking into those tires. How long did they last on asphalt for you?
I haven’t logged enough miles on those tires to report on wear. They look new after a couple hundred miles.
Old 03-17-18, 07:52 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
If I wanted 3x11 shifting, I’d use SRAM Rival/Force 1 shifters plus a friction bar end front shifter, a SRAM GX (or 10-speed X9/X0) rear derailleur, and an X9 triple or Shimano triple front derailleur.
Old 03-17-18, 08:08 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
If I wanted 3x11 shifting, I’d use SRAM Rival/Force 1 shifters plus a friction bar end front shifter, a SRAM GX (or 10-speed X9/X0) rear derailleur, and an X9 triple or Shimano triple front derailleur.
That sound equally good to Athena, can't really think what would be better! I think it will get down to price eventually, as both combinations must have very similar weight aswell. Cassettes are cross compatible, so as long as I build the wheel with a campy free hub, I could swap cassettes between bikes.

Btw, cool username! I just dont agree with that - one must have a cheap single speed to tie to a post while buying bread.
Old 03-18-18, 08:10 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Reading your original post I was thinking a Salsa Fargo frame might work for you. But then I saw the part about your preference for a radically vertical seatpost and I've got nothing in my experience or reading to relate to it.
Old 03-18-18, 08:47 AM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Reading your original post I was thinking a Salsa Fargo frame might work for you. But then I saw the part about your preference for a radically vertical seatpost and I've got nothing in my experience or reading to relate to it.
With a zero-setback seatpost and saddle moved forward on its rails I've turned a 71.5 degree seat tube into about the equivalent of 73.5 degree setup. A slack frame can be mitigated by these means to achieve an aggressive riding posture.
Old 03-18-18, 09:29 AM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
With a zero-setback seatpost and saddle moved forward on its rails I've turned a 71.5 degree seat tube into about the equivalent of 73.5 degree setup. A slack frame can be mitigated by these means to achieve an aggressive riding posture.
Thats my thought with the 77 angle. Zero setback and forward I'm good for TT, sliding it back I'm good for road, and if I want I can add a setback post. Saves me having extra bikes!
74 angle with zero setback and forward saddle probably gives me the same as 77 with the saddle back, so I should be fine. And I wont TT on such a bike anyway. Tuning handle bar pos by changing stems and spacers is always easy too.
Old 03-18-18, 10:23 AM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
This bike looks very desirable! But bars at the level of the saddle is not my thing right now!
Old 03-19-18, 08:19 PM
s0rce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elephant National Forest Explorer?
Old 03-20-18, 03:58 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Whh the large tires?
Seem s tad over kill. I just bought 1.75's as I want more road speed as my current 2.0 are just to large for the task at hand.
My MTB has 2.35 tires and it is a full Hard tail XC race bike.
Old 03-20-18, 07:26 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
This bike looks very desirable! But bars at the level of the saddle is not my thing right now!
Being designed as a drop bar MTB, the Fargo has a high head tube so the drop position of the bars can be set at the same level as the grip position of a flat bar.
Old 03-21-18, 11:14 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
You and the guy who wants to have drops and flat bars together on the same bike should get together with Canyon and see what the three of you can come up with.
I think the Wright Brothers could have something constructive to contribute in this endeavor as well:

Old 03-21-18, 04:43 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Canyon =pure genius
Old 03-23-18, 11:59 AM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Whh the large tires?
Seem s tad over kill. I just bought 1.75's as I want more road speed as my current 2.0 are just to large for the task at hand.
Did you try light slickish fat "road" tires like G-Ones? They ride nothing like 2.35 on your XC race bike
Old 03-25-18, 07:53 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Whh the large tires?
Those G-Ones have lower rolling resistance than most road bike tires!
Old 03-25-18, 08:11 PM
Ericoschmitt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sad old "news"

I found out today that drop bars were forbidden by UCI back in 2012 for mtb (and XCM) racing. This makes a bike with light parts and possibly custom light frame and carbon fork quite pointless.

I must now choose between a heavy tourer with not too low drops or a flat bar non-suspension bike for racing XCM. Can't have both in one.

There's really no point to make a bike that puts me in a better aero position if I cant race it. Even in Brazil races follow UCI rules! Low and narrow flat bars with extension could give me a low bullhorn-like bar, but then I wouldn't have tops to rest or climb. I have ridden a hybrid like that before, but only on asphalt. Gravel road racing isn't a thing around here eighter so this bike would be pointless!

I'm more prone for the tourer option now. Custom steel frame&fork and cheaper parts can give me what I want for that. And also save me lots of money. UCI just sucks.

Suddenly the FarGo looks nicer LoL
Old 03-28-18, 03:29 PM
thehammerdog

Nope I bought sadly a cheap heavy 1.75 x 26 and I am happy but they are BEASTLY in weight....600 plus gams per tire.
But I am sure never to get a flattire EVER....that being said 1.5 x 26 may be OK now that I see the size
Old 07-28-19, 08:57 PM
Sprtn1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearclaw bike company

Check out bearclaw bike companies "Beaux Jaxon"
Might be just what your looking for!
Old 07-29-19, 10:08 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprtn1
This thread is almost a year and a half old. Why revive it?

There is no gravel bike that fits the OPs bizarre and numerous requirements. Let it die.
Old 07-29-19, 01:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprtn1
Is it? 69.8deg HTA, 72.5STA, 448mm chainstay, 148mm BOOST spacing.
It fits a wide tire, yup. The rest isnt exactly what the OP asked for, but there really isnt anything around that Ive seen which matches what the OP wants.

Did you create a profile just to post about a bike that doesnt match what someone asked about 16 months ago?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.