Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain snapped on Shimano 105

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 04:00 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Recently took my cross bike in to the LBS to have some work done and asked the mechanic to give the bike a full service. I reckoned the groupset still had about 6 months life in it before it needed a full replacement. The mechanic spoke to my wife about the work that needed doing and said exactly the same thing, he said it had 6 months life left in it and he knows I do a fair bit of cycling. When I got the bike back after about 40km I noticed the chain was being thrown on the inside of the chainrings when I moved into granny gears on a hill, (It's a double chainset).. No biggy I thought I'd adjust the the front Derailleur when I got home about 5kms away. Then on the hill the chain snapped.

Should I be aggrieved that after riding it for 40km after a full service the chain snaps? I'm obviously going to have to replace everything. Should I be pissed at the bike shop?
Old 06-08-18, 04:03 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Cross bike...how much are you used to shifting under load? I've done it and in retaliation I've snapped a chain or two myself.

Dropping a chain...bit hinky....but at the end of it--a chain is $20USD. Unless it was damaging the frame in the process-not something to squawk much about-for me.
Old 06-08-18, 04:55 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonahhobbes
. . . Should I be aggrieved that after riding it for 40km after a full service the chain snaps? I'm obviously going to have to replace everything. Should I be pissed at the bike shop?
Why did it snap?
Old 06-08-18, 05:03 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
And did the mechanic remove the chain for service. Did it snap where he reconnected it or elsewhere? If where he did something to it, it doesn't involve the mechanic.

I've never heard of wearing out a groupset.
Old 06-08-18, 05:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The vast majority of broken chains I see are from rough shifting at some prior time. The challenge is that a chain can have a compromised pin in side plate fit and still work well enough to not notice that one of the over 200 fits is questionable until that one give out.

So as asked, how did the chain break? Did the side plate pull off the pin (the usual) or did the side plate crack (also happens but rather uncommon). Did it break when shifting or when JRA? Andy
Old 06-08-18, 05:38 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I'm obviously going to have to replace everything.
False.
Old 06-08-18, 11:31 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Side plate on a link is bent where it snapped. The bike is a Salsa La Cruz and is my main commute, it has panniers but nothing to much and I was on the hill near home so it snapped under pressure. The hill is pretty steep and bends.

So do you guys think he took the chain off and then reconnected it badly?

I can't talk to him until after the weekend. I'm not a bike mechanic, (hence the reason I'm here),

I just don't want to part with $40 - $50 NZ Dollars for a chain if the whole thing is going to need replacing anyhow and I'ts winter here already. The weather is bad and I can't be doing get stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to get to work for a night shift. I need a reliable bike.

Last edited by Jonahhobbes; 06-09-18 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 12:44 AM
Kontact 

Side plate on a link is bent where it snapped. The bike is a Salsa La Cruz and is my main commute, it has panniers but nothing to much and I was on the hill near home so it snapped under pressure. The hill is pretty steep and bends.

So do you guys think he took the chain off and then reconnected it badly?

I can't talk to him until after the weekend. I'm not a bike mechanic, (hence the reason I'm here),

I just don't want to part with $40 - $50 NZ Dollars for a chain if the whole thing is going to need replacing anyhow and I'ts winter here already. The weather is bad and I can't be doing get stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to get to work for a night shift. I need a reliable bike.
The relevant information would be the brand and speed of the chain, whether it has a quicklink anywhere or whether the link pin that failed looks different than the other link pins, indicating a special Shimano replacement pin. Being able to find either of those would tell you if it is likely that your mechanic took the chain off and goofed up putting it back on.

If you'd like to keep using this chain, and SRAM or KMC quicklink could replace the broken one.
Old 06-09-18, 12:54 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Cross bike...how much are you used to shifting under load? I've done it and in retaliation I've snapped a chain or two myself.

Dropping a chain...bit hinky....but at the end of it--a chain is $20USD. Unless it was damaging the frame in the process-not something to squawk much about-for me.
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Why did it snap?
Originally Posted by Kontact
And did the mechanic remove the chain for service. Did it snap where he reconnected it or elsewhere? If where he did something to it, it doesn't involve the mechanic.

I've never heard of wearing out a groupset.
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The vast majority of broken chains I see are from rough shifting at some prior time. The challenge is that a chain can have a compromised pin in side plate fit and still work well enough to not notice that one of the over 200 fits is questionable until that one give out.

So as asked, how did the chain break? Did the side plate pull off the pin (the usual) or did the side plate crack (also happens but rather uncommon). Did it break when shifting or when JRA? Andy
The relevant information would be the brand and speed of the chain, whether it has a quicklink anywhere or whether the link pin that failed looks different than the other link pins, indicating a special Shimano replacement pin. Being able to find either of those would tell you if it is likely that your mechanic took the chain off and goofed up putting it back on.

If you'd like to keep using this chain, and SRAM or KMC quicklink could replace the broken one.
I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
Old 06-09-18, 01:20 AM
AnkleWork

Should I be aggrieved that after riding it for 40km after a full service the chain snaps? . . . Should I be pissed at the bike shop?
. . . So do you guys think he took the chain off and then reconnected it badly? . . .
I don't think so but how could I possibly know? If you would relieve the vacuum of information, you might get better guesses for your questions.
Old 06-09-18, 01:41 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think so but how could I possibly know? If you would relieve the vacuum of information, you might get better guesses for your questions.
Sorry I forgot my electron microscope which I normally carry on my commute to identify my bike chain stress fractures.

I'm not asking for a fix I just asking for opinions on what to say to the bike mechanic.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 06-09-18 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 01:50 AM
AnkleWork

Sorry I forgot my electron microscope which I normally carry on my commute to identify my bike chain stress fractures.

I'm not asking for a fix I just asking for opinions on what to say to the bike mechanic.
Not enough information to either answer your questions or offer a (possible) fix. So far there's no basis for you to say anything to the mechanic but "please fix this." Considering your posts, one wonders whether you are capable of saying that.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 06-09-18 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 02:04 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not enough information to either answer your questions or offer a (possible) fix. So far there's no basis for you to say anything to the mechanic but "please fix this." Considering your posts, one wonders whether you are capable of saying that.

So what information are you looking for?

I said I'm not a bike mechanic. I came here for advice.

This used to be a much more friendly place.
Old 06-09-18, 02:25 AM
Kontact 

Anklework is usually unpleasant, but it doesn't take an electron microscope to say how many speeds you have and whether you have a quicklink.
Old 06-09-18, 02:35 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anklework is usually unpleasant, but it doesn't take an electron microscope to say how many speeds you have and whether you have a quicklink.

thank you - will get back I'm cooking at the mo. I'm not mech so I'll have to have a look at it. Chilli comes first though.
Old 06-09-18, 05:43 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

Bicycle mechanics seem daunting at first, or they did to me at least, but when it comes down to it bikes are relatively simple machines.

Fix the chain with a quick link, or replace it. There's no risk if you replace it. If it turns out something else needs replaced too like the cassette or a chainring, you still have a brand new, usable chain. If shifting is clunky then you'll probably need to look at the cassette.

Groupsets themselves -shifters and derailleurs-don't really wear out... At least, they should be good for years. My educated guess is that your group is fine.
Old 06-09-18, 08:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
As we spin off tangent...

Groups do wear out. They are made up of parts (ders, calipers, hubs...) that all can and do wear out.

But the different parts that make up a group usually don't wear at the same rate and what that wear means to function also isn't directly comparable between the various parts in a group. Case in point is the Terry TI road bike of about 23 years old in my basement. It's likely seen over 40,000 miles and some of the Campy group is what I would call past worn out. The BB, rings, hubs, ders all are past sloppy. The calipers are fine if battle scared, and the Ergo levers are rebuildable (and have been done before). The rider has wanted lower gearing then Campy supports on this old spec (8-speed/pointy hoods) so is considering switching to Shimano. Andy
Old 06-10-18, 11:16 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
This rudeness wasn't necessary...
Please leave this thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-11-18, 12:30 AM
AnkleWork

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
This rudeness wasn't necessary...
Please leave this thread.
You must not have read the OP's post and quote before the moderator edited them.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 06-11-18 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-11-18, 01:49 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Side plate on a link is bent where it snapped.
That's still not clear - has a pin pulled out of the side plate, or has the plate opposite the bent one broken in half?

If the former, and if you examine the pin, you may be able to see it looks different from the other pins. If it's identical to the other pins, it was a relatively freakish failure (like a broken side plate) that isn't really anyone's fault except maybe the rider's, for giving the chain too much of a hard time while shifting. If it's the special joining pin that has let go, that suggests the chain probably wasn't joined very well, either in the first instance or upon refitting (if the chain has been refitted, there should be more than one special pin - you shouldn't use the original spot, IIRC).
Old 06-11-18, 10:11 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pin came out of the side plate. The Mechanic is going to replace the link and it's free of charge. He didn't recommend putting a new chain on. Thanks all.
Old 06-12-18, 09:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I suggest that you take it back to the shop, tell the mechanic what happened, and see what she or he says. If the answer is, "That's weird, I didn't touch the chain," then leave it at that. Sometimes stuff just breaks.

I'm curious about why the groupset would be worn out. Sure, you might need a new cassette, and obviously a new chain. But if shifters or derailleurs were broken, you would know it now. How can you predict that something will fail in six months?