Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I don't want an adventure bike. Options?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

I don't want an adventure bike. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 08:18 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Really more of a touring bike. OP might want to look at its sibling, the Sequoia, which is more of a classic all-rounder bike.
I was simply adding another of Specialized's gravel worthy bikes to the comparison. This thread includes many types of bikes. The Sequoia is definitely more of an all arounder as it was developed as a more sporting variation on the AWOL theme, but the AWOL continues to be a very versatile and capable bike. Mine sees many miles of paved and unpaved roads every week.

P1020735 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 02-09-17, 08:24 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm well aware of the bikes discussed on this thread and I simply pointed out that they're a different beast from a traditional road bike.

By all means, choose and ride a bike you'll be happy with and whatever you choose, I'm sure it will serve you well for many years to come.
Old 02-09-17, 08:28 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
[/LIST]
Not good on gravel. My CX bike gave out from under me and nearly shattered my tibia. I would never ride a CX bike on gravel again.
To be fair that can happen with any bike.
Old 02-09-17, 08:30 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I was simply adding another of Specialized's gravel worthy bikes to the comparison. This thread includes many types of bikes. The Sequoia is definitely more of an all arounder as it was developed as a more sporting variation on the AWOL theme, but the AWOL continues to be a very versatile and capable bike. Mine sees many miles of paved and unpaved roads every week.

P1020735 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Specialized has a nice line of adventure bikes with one for every need and budget. The AWOL can be used for touring, bike-packing expeditions, off-trail rides, road rides and commuting. I can't think of a bike that does everything it does - sort of the Swiss Army knife of bikes. Glad to see the enjoyment your AWOL brings you every day.
Old 02-09-17, 10:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Specialized has a nice line of adventure bikes with one for every need and budget. The AWOL can be used for touring, bike-packing expeditions, off-trail rides, road rides and commuting. I can't think of a bike that does everything it does - sort of the Swiss Army knife of bikes. Glad to see the enjoyment your AWOL brings you every day.
At $1200 for a Sora spec to $2100 for a 1x Sram hydraulic spec to $2500 for a Tiagra hydraulic spec($2500 for Tiagra?!?!) I am confident I could find a bunch of options which could be used for touring, bike packing, off trail, road, and commuting just as competently as the AWOL.

$2500 for Tiagra mated to soe HYRD brakes? Goodness what happened to the value of money?

Its a very nice bike for sure, but hardly in a class of its own.
Old 02-09-17, 10:57 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Keeping my opinions about Specialized to myself, that's the smoothest dirt road I've ever seen in my life. I ride every day on maintained, public roads that look far worse than that. I rode on an unmaintained formerly-public road yesterday where I had to bunnyhop over expanded cracks every 10 seconds, then down a railway service road covered in 1" rocks. With my lowly CX bike on 700x28s.

Okay, just one opinion: I know a guy with a Roubaix-- it is wildly unimpressive. It's full carbon and two frame sizes smaller than my 6061-framed steel fork bike, but somehow weighs the same. I bet it's hella "vertically compliant," though.
Old 02-09-17, 12:19 PM
Soundtallica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
OP, I'd looked long and far for the same kind of bike you're looking for 2 years ago: basically a lightweight carbon gravel bike that can fit big tires but also has geometry as close as possible to that of a road bike. So far, the 3T Exploro and the Open Cycles U.P. are the closest I've found to that description (42c tires with 415mm chainstays? Hell yeah!) but as has been said before in this thread both are sooooo expensive ($3000 for the frame!).

I settled on a 2015 Redline Conquest Team carbon. I chose it because of the geometry: at 72 degrees the head angle isn't too slack, its 70mm BB drop is road bike low, and it has relatively short 425mm chainstays. It's been a GREAT fast gravel bike: it's stiff and feels as fast as my road bike on pavement with road tires, yet is stable enough for confidence off-road on some gnarly trails. It's also one of the most vertically compliant and comfortable bikes I've ridden too. My only gripes are stupid internal cable routing that basically requires you to punch out the PF30 BB to change a derailleur cable, and subpar tire clearance that only allows about a 36c-37c tire in the back.

For you, it depends on how big of a tire you want to run while still retaining racy geometry. If you're fine with a 35c tire, the Specialized Diverge is your best bet since it also has 415mm chainstays but can't run anything bigger. Otherwise, most CX bikes are the same way, as they have less tire clearance but racier geometry. If you want a bigger tire and care less about chainstay length, there are a lot of options out there that have been discussed in this thread. If you want short chainstays and big tires though, unfortunately the Open Cycles and 3T are your only options.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-09-17, 12:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Soundtallica
OP, I'd looked long and far for the same kind of bike you're looking for 2 years ago: basically a lightweight carbon gravel bike that can fit big tires but also has geometry as close as possible to that of a road bike. So far, the 3T Exploro and the Open Cycles U.P. are the closest I've found to that description (42c tires with 415mm chainstays? Hell yeah!) but as has been said before in this thread both are sooooo expensive ($3000 for the frame!).

I settled on a 2015 Redline Conquest Team carbon. I chose it because of the geometry: at 72 degrees the head angle isn't too slack, its 70mm BB drop is road bike low, and it has relatively short 425mm chainstays. It's been a GREAT fast gravel bike: it's stiff and feels as fast as my road bike on pavement with road tires, yet is stable enough for confidence off-road on some gnarly trails. It's also one of the most vertically compliant and comfortable bikes I've ridden too. My only gripes are stupid internal cable routing that basically requires you to punch out the PF30 BB to change a derailleur cable, and subpar tire clearance that only allows about a 36c-37c tire in the back.

For you, it depends on how big of a tire you want to run while still retaining racy geometry. If you're fine with a 35c tire, the Specialized Diverge is your best bet since it also has 415mm chainstays but can't run anything bigger. Otherwise, most CX bikes are the same way, as they have less tire clearance but racier geometry. If you want a bigger tire and care less about chainstay length, there are a lot of options out there that have been discussed in this thread. If you want short chainstays and big tires though, unfortunately the Open Cycles and 3T are your only options.

Hope this helps!
This is a really great post. You get it. Thank you.

The Redline looks nice but I don't see a 2015, only a 2014 and it has canti brakes.

After reading through this thread I think I might like some wider tires, maybe 38 or 40 but that's about it. It seems as if the more racier geometries accomodate 35mm tires max and so I'm still looking at the Ridley X Trail, seems to be the next best thing and trying to find one to test ride.

But seriously good post. Really appreciate the suggestions.

-Tim-
Old 02-09-17, 01:03 PM
Soundtallica

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is a really great post. You get it. Thank you.

The Redline looks nice but I don't see a 2015, only a 2014 and it has canti brakes.

After reading through this thread I think I might like some wider tires, maybe 38 or 40 but that's about it. It seems as if the more racier geometries accomodate 35mm tires max and so I'm still looking at the Ridley X Trail, seems to be the next best thing and trying to find one to test ride.

But seriously good post. Really appreciate the suggestions.

-Tim-
No problem! Glad to help. Yeah, I mixed up my model years, so my frame is a 2014. It actually is compatible with both cantis and discs and has interchangeable dropout chips that allow you to run 130mm spacing for cantis or 135mm spacing for discs, which is really cool. 2015 and later models eschew "Team" from the name and are disc only. I'll include a picture of my bike, with 32c slick tires, below.

Actually, scratch the tire clearance issue. You can get around it by using smaller 650b wheels with fatter tires like the Cannondale Slate. I read somewhere that a bike that maxes out with a 700x28c tire can fit a 650x38c tire. This would be a cool route to go, as you'd not only gain tire volume but reduce weight by using the smaller rim.

I'll also add that if you're looking at a CX bike, pay attention to its BB drop. 65mm is acceptable, but a bit on the high side. I'd go with something at least 70mm or lower for stability since you're not aggressively cornering off road like you would in a CX race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
conquest.jpg (95.3 KB, 277 views)
Old 02-09-17, 01:32 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Keeping my opinions about Specialized to myself, that's the smoothest dirt road I've ever seen in my life. I ride every day on maintained, public roads that look far worse than that...
Got to love that read Georgia clay!!!
Old 02-09-17, 04:23 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Soundtallica
I have his little brother the Conquest Expert (lower end components but the same frame) and I agree 110% with this description on the bike! Not sure if Redline is going to make these frames anymore but you might find a used one somewhere. Tire clearance as noted and not being able to add any racks are the only minor complaints I have. Other than that I always have the biggest grin on my face after a ride...
Old 02-09-17, 04:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Got to love that read Georgia clay!!!
That's right. @BluesDawg is in the red clay state.

How bout them Falcons? Rise up!!!

Oh... wait... nevermind.
Old 02-09-17, 11:02 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Keeping my opinions about Specialized to myself, that's the smoothest dirt road I've ever seen in my life. I ride every day on maintained, public roads that look far worse than that. I rode on an unmaintained formerly-public road yesterday where I had to bunnyhop over expanded cracks every 10 seconds, then down a railway service road covered in 1" rocks. With my lowly CX bike on 700x28s.

Okay, just one opinion: I know a guy with a Roubaix-- it is wildly unimpressive. It's full carbon and two frame sizes smaller than my 6061-framed steel fork bike, but somehow weighs the same. I bet it's hella "vertically compliant," though.
So do I. I hope you don't think the one photo I chose to show my bike represents the range of terrain I ride. Hell, you should see the muddy, rutted mess on the steep hill less than a quarter mile behind that shot. My size 58 2011 Roubaix Expert weighed 16.5 lbs. when I sold it after six years and 20,000+ miles of smiles.

Maybe you'll like this picture better, but maybe not.

FG by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 02-10-17, 04:32 AM
gattosilvestro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

this is my first post in this forum. I kindly need a suggestion from you.
I have a Specialized Diverge A1 (aluminium); i would like to use it in the country, but i'm worried to ruin the fork or other parts of the bike. Roads i could do out of city have several emerging rocks, three roots....i have cyclocross tyres (33 C)...what do you think?
Old 02-10-17, 05:57 AM
jedijon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't want an "Adventure bike". Nothing against them. Just not what I want.

I want a fast, aggressive road bike. The roads just happen to be mixed pavement and gravel.

Think Cervelo R3 or SuperSix EVO but for gravel, fast group rides on mixed surfaces.

I'm looking at the Salsa Warbird Carbon Ultegra. What other options are there?

What else is out there that isn't an "adventure" bike?

-Tim-
Your picture shows it packed and smooth. I've taken my 700x25c on that many times - and worse. Giant TCR carbon frame.
Old 02-10-17, 06:46 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by gattosilvestro
Hi all,

I have a Specialized Diverge A1 (aluminium); i would like to use it in the country, but i'm worried to ruin the fork or other parts of the bike. Roads i could do out of city have several emerging rocks, three roots....i have cyclocross tyres (33 C)...what do you think?
Welcome to Bikeforums!

I'd try it on rural roads and paths without concern. I use tires smaller than 33mm often. If the surface is firm, there is minimal risk of any real issue that you haven't already encountered on urban streets.

Keep the air pressure in the tires high enough to avoid pinch flats, especially if you are heavier than average. Bring an extra tube and know how to repair a flat tires. beyond that, it's unlikely you will have a structural or mechanical emergency.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-10-17 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 03:11 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by gattosilvestro
Hi all,

I have an A1 aluminum Specialized I beat the snot out of with 28mm tires (I can squeeze a 30mm on though). If you aren't flatting the tires, you aren't going to hurt the bike. You would have to take a pretty hard hit on a rock/hole to hurt a wheel though. The bike itself will be fine.

Welcome!
Old 02-11-17, 04:13 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Ritchey Swiss Cross fits the bill. I've got a Ritchey Breakaway Cross, which has similar geometry but heavier with mounts for fenders and racks. It's a great riding bike on roads as well as gravel.
I have one of these (Swiss Cross), mostly race cyclocross with it, but I've done a few gravel races as well. It's a great bike, the only caveat I would add is high-speed descents aren't really its forté. Once you get used to it, you can go downhill plenty fast on it, it's just not quite as settled and secure as, well, a good road bike. I'm not sure whether it's the higher bars or higher BB.

[/LIST]
Not good on gravel. My CX bike gave out from under me and nearly shattered my tibia. I would never ride a CX bike on gravel again.
I'm truly sorry you broke your leg, but your conclusion that CX bikes are therefore totally unsuited for gravel riding is just absurd. I haven't done a lot of gravel rides, but around here the faster people are mostly also cyclocross racers, and they mostly ride their cross bikes when they enter events like Rasputitsa or VOGP. I've been shouting myself hoarse on this around here forever, but I'll say it again: "cyclocross geometry" is a hopelessly broad concepts, which includes bikes that are excellent on gravel as well as bikes that are mediocre on gravel. I definitely would prefer to race on my Ritchey Swiss Cross vs my Ridley Crossbow, because the high bottom bracket on the Ridley feels unpleasantly tippy in high speed turns. But if it's all I had, I would ride it and just go a little slower in the turns. A cyclocross bike doesn't actually place you in active danger when riding gravel. The overlap between these categories is huge.
Old 02-11-17, 05:03 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
All this fussing about high bottom brackets is a joke IMO.

I ride a Tarmac, and a Crux, & they have exactly the same BB drop. Other bikes- not much difference.

Bigger tires put the BB higher off the ground, so there's that.

And why would the CX bike with more slack HT angle and a longer WB be less stable descending, more squirrelly turning, and some kind of death trap on gravel?

Sheesh.
Old 02-11-17, 05:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
All this fussing about high bottom brackets is a joke IMO.
Agree 100%. Have any of these folks ever seen a track bike? Like 30mm of BB drop. I watched that BikeRadar video where they built a custom steel fixie to race in the Red Hook Crit series, and it had the shortest wheelbase and highest BB I've ever seen. The BB on my CX frame sits like 10mm higher than the BB on my wife's road bike, and my frame is 9cm bigger.

I do love when guys say they can "feel" the difference between 2 bikes with 4mm more/less BB drop. I rode one day with my rear tire slow-leaked down to 40psi (from a start of 80psi) and wondered why I felt slower... after I got home. I doubt I could tell the difference in +/-10mm of BB height, so long as my pedals didn't hit the ground.
Old 02-12-17, 04:08 AM
gattosilvestro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you think about the Diverge Elite version? Is it much different form the A1? I mean, does the different fork make much differences?
Old 02-12-17, 11:15 AM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
I had an AWOL, switched to this Motobecane fantom Ti. IT's light, fast, and comfortable. Takes 40 mm tires, fender and rack mounts. I highly recommend titanium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1200.jpg (99.6 KB, 224 views)
Old 02-12-17, 11:45 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
fast roadie but need it for mild dirt too? IMO anything that will take a 28C tire unless you need mud clearance, that will take you out of the road bike class.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-12-17, 02:43 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by mtn_cyclist
I had an AWOL, switched to this Motobecane fantom Ti. IT's light, fast, and comfortable. Takes 40 mm tires, fender and rack mounts. I highly recommend titanium.
How is the titanium different? Can you describe it? I would love to ride one, but it's not a material people stock.
Old 02-12-17, 05:15 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
How is the titanium different? Can you describe it? I would love to ride one, but it's not a material people stock.
Titanium gives a smooth ride and can be built up into a light weight frame. Go to a Litespeed dealer for a test ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.