Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic flush?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hydraulic flush?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 04:01 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hydraulic flush?

Just had all brand new hydro brake levers, hoses, etc. installed. I didn't initially get new pads but have since; the brake levers now go full squish almost to the bars. I've bled my brakes before (I have the Shimano kit) but am not sure if the reservoirs simply need more fluid now (to get them to be stiffer/brake with less lever action). Do I just need to re-bleed them?
Old 03-19-19, 09:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Probably .. Do you you have the Service manual? it can be downloaded from the internet as a PDF ..
Old 03-19-19, 10:11 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Gladius
Just had all brand new hydro brake levers, hoses, etc. installed. I didn't initially get new pads but have since; the brake levers now go full squish almost to the bars. I've bled my brakes before (I have the Shimano kit) but am not sure if the reservoirs simply need more fluid now (to get them to be stiffer/brake with less lever action). Do I just need to re-bleed them?
The mechanic probably pushed the pistons all the way back in order to have enough room to install the new pads. Assuming there is enough fluid in the reservoir (there should be, unless they took some out or spilled some during this process), pumping the lever a few times should eventually push the pistons out far enough to make solid contact again, and firm up the lever.