Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

160mm rotor to 180mm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

160mm rotor to 180mm

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 08:07 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
160mm rotor to 180mm

If I wanted to change my front rotor from a 160mm to a 180mm would I need to shim the caliper to accept it? I have looked at Youtube videos and only saw MTB applications where they used a "bracket" against the fork to move the caliper out. I have not been able to find a comparable bracket for a road/grave,application on a shimano equipped Topstone 105.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Frank.
Old 02-10-20, 08:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
From what I understand, flat mount calipers are designed to be used with either 140mm or 160mm rotors, and nothing else. There are no 180mm adapters available for flat mount. The only way to fit a 180mm would be to change the caliper to a post mount, and use a flat-to-post adapter, and then hope that a 180mm will clear the fork, and that Cannondale will even recommend that large a rotor.
Old 02-11-20, 07:44 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
From what I understand, flat mount calipers are designed to be used with either 140mm or 160mm rotors, and nothing else. There are no 180mm adapters available for flat mount. The only way to fit a 180mm would be to change the caliper to a post mount, and use a flat-to-post adapter, and then hope that a 180mm will clear the fork, and that Cannondale will even recommend that large a rotor.
Thank you for the information. I think I will leave it alone and just learn to modulate my brakes better this summer.
Frank.