Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Racing with knee replacement

Old 01-18-20, 07:54 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Racing with knee replacement

After a number of injuries and surgeries I'm now faced with the recommendation to have a knee replacement surgery. I had my meniscus fixed a few months ago but it didn't help that much and the orthopedic surgeon says my ACL and PCL are too far gone to rebuild

anything standing start or a serious out of the saddle effort has been impossible for a couple of years

I realize there are probably other areas on the forum to get a broader response, but this group has a better grasp on a track training program that entails both on the bike training combined with a lot of work in the gym

so, - does anybody in here have any knowledge of anybody who's been able to successfully complete after having such a procedure?

The doc states that a bike is a valuable rehab tool and i should be able to recover and resume "biking" as he calls it. But im obviously not talking about rolling up the right pants leg a bit and swinging a leg over a cruiser to go get an ice cream cone with my sweetie, (Although thats a nice thought too) Im talking an actual return to racing and im not sure my doctor gets that

sheesh- im only 48
Old 01-19-20, 07:14 PM
DMC707

I might throw this inquiry up on the road racing side of the forum to cast a wider net. I've been talking more and more to some of my buddies in my club and they all think it's a death sentence 😒😒
Old 01-19-20, 08:30 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
DMC: in no way intended to deter, but thought this interesting since there may be a hip in my future.

A Cyclists Survival Guide to a Total Knee Replacement - Part 1 - Cycling Videos OnlineCycling Videos Online
Old 01-23-20, 03:04 PM
wagge

Bikes: Sworks 2012, Sworks 2016 2000 Corima Cougar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had both done two years ago, back on the track in 4 months and still racing.
Old 01-24-20, 08:08 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
DMC: in no way intended to deter, but thought this interesting since there may be a hip in my future.

A Cyclists Survival Guide to a Total Knee Replacement - Part 1 - Cycling Videos OnlineCycling Videos Online
Thank you for this
Old 01-24-20, 08:08 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by wagge
Had both done two years ago, back on the track in 4 months and still racing.

Awesome ! How long did it take to get walking again after the procedure? I'm still am hamstrung by the need to have to go to work everyday and am trying to figure out how much time I will be off before I can do office work
Old 01-25-20, 03:07 PM
wagge

Bikes: Sworks 2012, Sworks 2016 2000 Corima Cougar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was on a scissor lift the next week, I had a job that had to be done so I tufted it out. Yes, I had lots of pain meds when I got home, would not do that again. I would say for a desk-type job next week you should be good. If you are on your feet maybe two-three weeks. I did my second 8 weeks after the first but took it easy for a couple of weeks, PT is the key and yes it hurts but the goal is flexibility fore and aft. I am not sure but I think insurance gave me 12 sessions per knee. April 15th was my second one and was back on my lifecycle within a few weeks and on the bike in about 6 weeks. Four months later I climbed to the south rim in the Chisos Mountains in Big Bend, it was about 5 hours up 2000 ft and 3 hours down, had no problems with knee wish I could say the same about the rest of the body. Nothing a couple of Margaritas and hot tub couldn't fix.
Likes For wagge: