Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking into economical 700x28 tires for hybrid.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 09:37 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

Im getting close to installing the last of my current stash of 700x28 tires on my flat bar road bike So, before the bastages get even more expensive, I figured I'd pick up a few more tires, and have been sifting through the internet.
im wondering if anyone here can recommend any lowrer cost options out there that i havent run across. Not too concerned these days with speedy and light, my prime concerns are simply cost and durability, with flat resistance being a bonus.
I've been happily running the lower end,wire bead Michelin Pro Teks, and they may be still my best option, at $25-30, plus tax/shipping, but figured it couldn't hurt to consult the Matrix.
Thanks....

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-06-24 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-06-24, 10:26 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,325 Posts
I don’t have a long history with what you are looking for, but I’ve been happy with Kenda Kwick Tendril in a 28mm.

I originally bought them to use on an indoor trainer, but have used them on the road and they are fine.

However, even though they are called Kwick, they are not quick.

Some places are selling them at discounted prices.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-06-24, 11:20 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 446 Posts
Continental Contact Urban.
Likes For Yan:
Old 04-06-24, 11:39 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro G2 if you can find them on sale even better. Excel Sports has them, 30mm, for $25 per. Free shipping over $99. IMO, the Zaffiro Pro V are ok and cheaper, the G2 are much better.
Tire prices have gone up considerably. Shopping around on the web , including eBay, can sometimes locate a lower price.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-06-24, 05:43 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just popped on 4 more Michelin ProTeks, from Performance, @ $24.95 ea. These tires have been great for me the last year or two (as in ZERO flats) and I figured there's no upside in taking a chance on something unknown just to save a very few bucks.
Shipping for just a couple tires was kinda high at nearly $20, so I bumped it up 4 to get the free shiping, plus it turned out I had a $5 credit from a couple years ago, (bonus!), so with tax, I got 4 pretty decent tires for $102 delivered, which try as I might, I couldn't beat anywhere else.

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-06-24 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-06-24, 05:55 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked 3,589 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro G2 if you can find them on sale even better. Excel Sports has them, 30mm, for $25 per. Free shipping over $99. IMO, the Zaffiro Pro V are ok and cheaper, the G2 are much better.
Tire prices have gone up considerably. Shopping around on the web , including eBay, can sometimes locate a lower price.
Agree about the Zaffiro Pro G2. It's a decent tire that doesn't cost a fortune. We used them on our rental bikes, and they help up very well.

Decent price on Amazon: Zaffiro Pro G2.0 Road Bike Tire (New - Latest Model) for Performance Training in All Conditions

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-06-24, 07:09 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Yeah, I'd have been very tempted by the above deal, if i hadnt just ordered the Michelins ( plus the fact they're shipping from Japan, with a 1-2 month delivery estimate). Still, probably the best deal yet.
Old 04-06-24, 09:56 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t have a long history with what you are looking for, but I’ve been happy with Kenda Kwick Tendril in a 28mm.

I originally bought them to use on an indoor trainer, but have used them on the road and they are fine.

However, even though they are called Kwick, they are not quick.

Some places are selling them at discounted prices.

John
I have Kwiks in a 25 on my single speed, and yes; not quick, but durable, good puncture resistance, and they were a good price.
Likes For Leinster: