Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Question for the "Century club"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Question for the "Century club"

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 01:04 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I don't suppose the girl comes with the jersey too? lol

To me, a century is riding 100 miles in one swell foop, whether that takes 5 hours or 25. I've ridden countless centuries. some of them are highly organized affairs where there is an entrance fee, sag support, numerous food stops and the like. Others are only organized in the sense that a bunch of friends agree to meet and do a ride together, stopping for food and water along the way when they damn well feel like it.

I typically stop a LOT. I'm in no damn hurry to finish anyway, and I love the company and the food.

I measure success not by how fast I complete the century, but by how many pictures I've taken, how many new people I meet, and just general awesomeness.
This is You?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1osg3liOAlg

Old 02-02-15, 01:49 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Nah ... definitely not. What is that? It looks like a "Tour de Cure" held at the Indanapolis Motor Speedway?

Old 02-02-15, 02:27 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would not say that a ride must be non stop to be a century or double century, the answer is no, not non stop. As has been said short stops are fine. You are not racing. To qualify for some awards it is necessary to complete a century or a double century. Many of the doubles have a time limit to be official. Also for randonneuring there are time limits. I would say for a century, especially your first, plan for 8 hours of riding time (or less, depending on your training) and 9-10 hours overall.
Old 02-02-15, 03:19 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I posted earlier, I have accepted the 16 hour maximum time frame. I am not nearly ready for my first century, but building towards it is proving to be a lot of fun.
I am a goal oriented person. I need a goal to maintain interest in pretty much anything. I'm in no hurry to get there, but steady improvement will keep the juices flowing.
And that's really what it's all about right?
Old 02-02-15, 03:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
As I posted earlier, I have accepted the 16 hour maximum time frame. ....
I am a goal oriented person. I need a goal to maintain interest in pretty much anything......
And that's really what it's all about right?
Yes, a Century Ride, isn't like a military medal, or college degree, where there are rigid standards and you're a liar or fraud if you claim one you didn't earn. A Century implies a 100 mile ride, it might imply more in some circles, but this is your goal, and unless you claim you've done it faster as a qualification for some other ride, it's nobody's business but your own.

That said, try for a reasonable pace as far as the ride itself goes. There's only a small difference in the level of effort between riding 10 or 12 miles per hour, so a slightly faster riding pace will allow you more rest interval time. Finish it on your schedule, then you might work on finishing a similar ride faster down the road.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-02-15, 09:18 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finish it on your schedule, then you might work on finishing a similar ride faster down the road.
Excellent suggestion!
Old 02-02-15, 09:45 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If you decide to ride in an organized century, it's generally broken up into 4 or 5 segments. The one I rode in Davis (Foxy's Fall) had a rest stop before lunch (about 27 miles in), lunch (at about 52 miles) and one at around 78 miles. This broke it up into 4 "do-able" rides of about 25 miles each.
You probably don't want to break for more than 10 minutes at the rest stop, and less than 20 minutes for "lunch." Any longer and your muscles cool off (and may be prone to cramping).

It seems the norm for most centuries is to get you started by 7 AM and to start clearing the course around 5 PM; that gives you ten hours. Some allow more time if it's a difficult century (or one of those that take the term "century" loosely and are actually 112 miles).

Everyone will tell you (so I will as well), drink before you feel thirsty and eat before you feel hungry... nibble and sip as you ride. My personal take is that it's more the climbing than the distance (e.g., a metric century with 5600' of climb was a lot more tiring than the Davis century with 3300' of climb); YMMV.

I've never used the SAG support on a organized ride, but I've always been glad it was there.

Many people just hit the road and ride their century. I need to suck off the energy of the group (and an occasional back wheel).
Old 02-02-15, 10:36 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
To me a century is a single ride of 100 miles or more. Stops for food, hydration and rest are definitely part of it. However long it takes doesn't matter. If I rode 50 miles, napped for a few hours and then rode another 50 miles, I would consider them different rides and wouldn't call it a century but two half centuries. Same for transporting myself and the bike a considerable distance between riding. That wouldn't be my idea of a single ride.
Old 02-03-15, 05:53 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do note that if you do an organized century, there is often a cutoff time for support. If you're out there after that time, you're on your own.
Old 02-03-15, 06:19 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Why not just ride 100 for the hell of it? Then there are not rules!
Old 02-03-15, 06:55 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are several schools of thought. Hardcores might ride a century without ever putting a foot down, but most people make brief stops at various intervals. The organized centuries I ride usually have rest stops every 20 miles or so. My personal solo centuries work out about the same as I have small towns every 15-25 miles where I can refill water bottles and use the restroom. I try to keep stops under 5 minutes. At around the halfway point, I sometimes stop for more of a meal, grab a sandwich and sit under a tree for 10-15 minutes, but only if I'm really hot and/or hungry. I consider it a century as long as I don't participate in any activities other than riding and refueling.
Old 02-03-15, 08:28 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I measure success not by how fast I complete the century, but by how many pictures I've taken, how many new people I meet, and just general awesomeness.
If you hadn't written this, I would have added it on your behalf. Keep stopping, I love the photos!