Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Racing on aero road bike? Making a real difference?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racing on aero road bike? Making a real difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 11:55 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
spirit of the rules?
Old 02-25-16, 01:52 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
spirit of the rules?
Spirit of rules that don't apply to your race?
I don't get that.
Old 02-25-16, 02:24 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
If I can meet UCI guidelines without incurring cost just to do so then so be it. If, say, I want to change saddles, I'd consider those that help me meet UCI regs that also work for me in terms of comfort.

On the other hand I'm perfectly fine working within USAC rules that violate UCI rules, like using Cane Creek Speed Bars. If I get lighter and faster again I'll put them on if I think I'll use them.

I guess it's illogical human logic.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-25-16, 04:20 PM
Doge

For some riders the UCI saddle position is farther back than they like esp the slammed stem crowd (two teammates).
On TT bikes the bar extensions can be uncomfortably short. Shorter than both my kid and his coach like.
It was no part of the handlebar can be lower than the top of the tire. I think that changed. I have to study up again soon.
Old 02-25-16, 06:22 PM
Doge

spirit of the rules?
What is your opinion on the spirit of a rule that is regularly broken/ignored/not enforced - say 95%+ of the time.
Old 02-25-16, 06:29 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
What is your opinion on the spirit of a rule that is regularly broken/ignored/not enforced - say 95%+ of the time.
what rule is broken 95% of the time? theoretically I wouldn't care if no one is bothered by it, but I'd want to know what I was talking about before committing to anything.
Old 02-25-16, 06:44 PM
Doge

what rule is broken 95% of the time? theoretically I wouldn't care if no one is bothered by it, but I'd want to know what I was talking about before committing to anything.
Scope is UCI races, mostly stuff I saw / was aware of.
Some road stuff like sticky bottles, drafting cars - recovering from a mishap. A rider coming back to the pack will always draft.

Taking support from spectators. It is a tradition in Paris-Roubaix for spectators to line the course with spare wheels. Maybe there is a UCI exception for this, but I have not found it. Tyler got a spare bike from a spectator in Auz this year.

Then equipment stuff. Rarely are ROAD bikes weighed in Europe (or not once we know of) and about everyone I saw would be 15# real wet. Tape is normally used to hold things. Wheels are not checked for UCI list, or unlabeled. Fork tabs removed for quick change (not 95%). Blocking out mfg labels. Modification of equipment.

Last edited by Doge; 02-25-16 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 06:56 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scope is UCI races, mostly stuff I saw / was aware of.
Some road stuff like sticky bottles, drafting cars - recovering from a mishap. A rider coming back to the pack will always draft.

Taking support from spectators. It is a tradition in Paris-Roubaix for spectators to line the course with spare wheels. Maybe there is a UCI exception for this, but I have not found it. Tyler got a spare bike from a spectator in Auz this year.

Then equipment stuff. Rarely are ROAD bikes weighed in Europe (or not once we know of) and about everyone I saw would be 15# real wet. Tape is normally used to hold things. Wheels are not checked for UCI list, or unlabeled. Fork tabs removed for quick change (not 95%). Blocking out mfg labels. Modification of equipment.
I saw a bike check done on most of a dozen bikes at the TDU and most were half a kilo over the limit, if not more. Granted, this was by a member of the media, but still.

Also, I've watched Paris-Roubaix >10 times now, and every dude I've seen holding wheels in his hands was a team rep of some kind. Unless they just randomly handed a set or two of wheels, and a team jersey, to a random fan along the course.
Old 02-25-16, 07:00 PM
Doge

TDU? Utah? In the USA they tend to weigh the top 10 in UCI races. Had not seen them do it once in about 15 in Europe - too few to say 95%, but the Euro kids say they don't. They do fully check TT bikes.
Old 02-25-16, 07:06 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour Down Under.
Old 02-26-16, 04:44 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Oh for crying out loud. If you think testing aero shoe covers without a rider "to alleviate human error" is a better testing protocol than putting them on a human being, you are really are frickin clueless. Well okay - clueless is harsh. How about "grasping at straws"?

And your implication, in general, is wrong.

Deal with it.
Ouch. I sense bitterness. This one has spice. My rationale in going with the partial model is because in order to amplify the small differences between bare shoe and booties, you have to try to keep control variables to a minimum. That means it's probably best to take the rider out of the equation and testing the shoe at different angles. But I'm no scientist. There are pros and cons to each tunnel test methods. Thats what id do. But I guess you are much more well versed with this field of study than I am. I am sorry I insulted your unparalleled expertise.
Old 02-26-16, 07:00 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
In fact I don't have any expertise in aerodynamic testing methods and don't pretend to. This isn't about the pros and cons of different methods for you, it's about being unable to say "oh, I didn't know that, that's surprising" and move on with a better understanding of what's faster and what's not.
Old 02-26-16, 07:33 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
In fact I don't have any expertise in aerodynamic testing methods and don't pretend to. This isn't about the pros and cons of different methods for you, it's about being unable to say "oh, I didn't know that, that's surprising" and move on with a better understanding of what's faster and what's not.
I don't have a problem with saying i don't know. I have a problem with unfounded derogratory remarks .
Old 02-26-16, 07:57 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Well then I apologize.
Old 02-26-16, 08:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Old 02-26-16, 09:12 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by spectastic
Ouch. I sense bitterness. This one has spice. My rationale in going with the partial model is because in order to amplify the small differences between bare shoe and booties, you have to try to keep control variables to a minimum. That means it's probably best to take the rider out of the equation and testing the shoe at different angles. ....
Just that in many cases the gaps like tire to fork and helmet to shoulder are what you are testing. So it is these interplay of parts you need to get realistic numbers. I never liked the boots for weight and heat and some of these shoes are pretty smooth.
Old 02-26-16, 05:38 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just that in many cases the gaps like tire to fork and helmet to shoulder are what you are testing. So it is these interplay of parts you need to get realistic numbers. I never liked the boots for weight and heat and some of these shoes are pretty smooth.
Such is the case for helmets, because the rider's streamline consists of the helmet and the back, and rider position affects the helmet drag. However, the shoes are kind of out there away from the rest of the bike, and constantly changing positions such that no steady stream is ever really established. That's why I didn't think about that very much
Old 02-26-16, 05:54 PM
Doge

Yea, I'm not as emotional about it although that never stopped me beating a topic to death. The interaction with the crank and the open triangle / down tube introduce turbulence that a static model does not capture. I tend to lean light over aero. Still aero, but light and aero over more aero at all costs. So 50mm profile wheels over 650g heavier 60mm profile wheels and slick shoes over heavier booties. My son reluctantly goes with my selection because we have a deal and when he doesn't he can get DQ'd. We are making frame selection now for upcoming races and choosing less aero frames over more aero ones in some and not in others. Some things we no longer have choices for, others we do.
Old 02-29-16, 06:53 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
If you could only get one, which would it be: one of those very tight jerseys or an aero road helmet?
Ordered myself a kit, which arrived today. Since I am 5'7'' and 145lbs I ordered a small, supposed to be for people 5'4'' to 5'8'' and 120-145lbs. I think it is too large, bunches up on my belly and a bit on my chest. Will have to send it back to the UK and they don't have XSmalls so either I pay $40 more to get it elsewhere or just don't get anything. Shame because it was a nice one. At least the bibs fit well I guess.
Old 02-29-16, 07:08 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
Ordered myself a kit, which arrived today. Since I am 5'7'' and 145lbs I ordered a small, supposed to be for people 5'4'' to 5'8'' and 120-145lbs. I think it is too large, bunches up on my belly and a bit on my chest. Will have to send it back to the UK and they don't have XSmalls so either I pay $40 more to get it elsewhere or just don't get anything. Shame because it was a nice one. At least the bibs fit well I guess.
I'm 6'0" 172lbs and I wear a Women's Sm jersey (men's xs if there's no women-specific).

My advice is never buy kit unless you try it on (or a fit kit) first.
Old 02-29-16, 07:12 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Guess you're right. Darn internet!
Old 02-29-16, 07:20 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by canuckbelle
I'm 6'0" 172lbs and I wear a Women's Sm jersey (men's xs if there's no women-specific).

My advice is never buy kit unless you try it on (or a fit kit) first.
My wife and I have had this theory for a long time in soccer and cycling that the best are always 5'10-6'1 - closer to 5'11 - male or female. Then there are the exceptions.
Old 02-29-16, 07:22 PM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huh. I dunno. I don't think that applies to GC riders, because it's hard for us to climb due to the w/kg penalty. But if it's flat...I suspect we make better sprinters.
Old 02-29-16, 07:24 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point I think this post will be considered "off-topic" but oh well, I am a self proclaimed aero-weenie so I obviously need to include my few cents worth of experience.

Having ridden Aero road bikes for a few years now as my primary bike I think that it boils down to this: If my bike gets me even half a mile an hour extra speed at a constant power then it is worth it. Because at the end of the race if I managed even a quarter of a mile an hour faster in a break than the chase did for just 30 minutes I still win by an eighth of a mile.

Marginal differences mean quite a bit. I actually credit my Bear Mountain win last year to having decided to go all out on the aero gear. After 2 hours by myself I put a good gap into the field, it just added up over time.
Old 02-29-16, 07:27 PM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just put an order in for the Syncros aero bars for my Foil ^_^ Integrated bar/stem ftw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.