Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 08:50 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Polished silver rims + same for frame lettering = sah-weeeet!
Old 03-05-17, 09:26 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Today I took y'allz advice and cut 2cm off my stem

Old 03-06-17, 08:38 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Today I took y'allz advice and cut 2cm off my stem

See? It wasn't too difficult, right? And the cut looks excellent.
Old 03-06-17, 08:41 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
See? It wasn't too difficult, right? And the cut looks excellent.
yeah but my arm got really tired
Old 03-06-17, 12:01 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Today I am stressing about getting married in a few weeks. Planning stuff literally has sucked the life out of me
Old 03-06-17, 12:31 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
Today I am stressing about getting married in a few weeks. Planning stuff literally has sucked the life out of me
and then it's over in a few hours and you won't remember half of it and you probably won't get to eat hardly any of the food you spent thousands of dollars on and carefully curated for the menu because you're too busy mingling and thanking people you've never met before and then you go back to your hotel room and are like 'yeah wedding night sex' but really you both collapse in bed dead.

then you wake up the next morning and and roll over and if you still smile, then it was worth it.

until you have kids

also getting married screws you on taxes

congrats!!
Old 03-06-17, 12:37 PM
Unkle Rico

I find it funny in a weird way that almost everyone has laid out how the night will unfold just like you said.. Greeeeat!

Yea, the tax thing is going to suck for sure

and then it's over in a few hours and you won't remember half of it and you probably won't get to eat hardly any of the food you spent thousands of dollars on and carefully curated for the menu because you're too busy mingling and thanking people you've never met before and then you go back to your hotel room and are like 'yeah wedding night sex' but really you both collapse in bed dead.

then you wake up the next morning and and roll over and if you still smile, then it was worth it.

until you have kids

congrats!!
Old 03-06-17, 12:52 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I find it funny in a weird way that almost everyone has laid out how the night will unfold just like you said.. Greeeeat!

Yeah you'll soon realize the wedding is for everyone else, not for you. the only thing that matters to you is the lil piece of paper you sign that says you're legally married.

we did our wedding kind of unconventionally - which is pretty much just like us.
ceremony + reception at a small private lodge by a lake, on the really nice stone-laid patio, <100 guests, 10 minute customized non-denominational ceremony with Shinto undertones, no wedding parties, only best man/matron. Sigur Ros played in the background. No first dance alone together, we wanted everyone to dance with us (hate being on display). did mother/son, father/daughter dance at same time - again, with guests dancing. no best man/matron speeches, no garter/bouquet toss nonsense, we did cut a cake a small special cake, but served homemade cupcakes, we had horseshoes and croquet outside, along with pics with a flock of plastic pink flamingos. we didn't hire an expensive photographer, just had some cousins/friends take pics which was all we needed.
food was Dinosaur BBQ, and some specialty vegetarian sandwiches.
we had a blast.
we made our own invitations, and made a deal with the BBQ place to bring our own beer since our good friend worked for a beer distributor. part of the deal was they got to keep all the left over beer for themselves.

all told we spent <$6000 on everything.

and i wouldn't have changed a thing.
Old 03-06-17, 12:59 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I'm kinda regretting bidding on some black cranks in an auction that I'll probably win. Should've waited for silver.
Old 03-06-17, 01:43 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

What is this tax disadvantage you guys are talking about? "Married filing jointly" and "Married Head of Household" both reduce your federal tax rate.
Old 03-06-17, 02:08 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
What is this tax disadvantage you guys are talking about? "Married filing jointly" and "Married Head of Household" both reduce your federal tax rate.
Maybe so, but not as much as when you're single, and not enough that it has helped us. This was the first time in 3 years we didn't have to pay, and it was only because of the interest on our mortgage.

we make just enough to be bumped into a higher bracket, but not enough to make up for the increase tax rate. even both claiming 0 and with addition money withheld we still owed ~3k in federal before putting in the mortgage interest.

on topic....Today the bars I ordered from Scrod are out for delivery so I am hoping they are waiting on the doorstep when I get home from work! Guess I should get some tape, too....
Old 03-06-17, 03:06 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Don't worry, Donald Trump is going to cut your taxes.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-06-17, 03:25 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Bigly.
Old 03-06-17, 03:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
it was worth it.

until you have kids
I'm sorry you feel this way.

The first time I really felt like a man was when my first child called me "daddy." It was one of the greatest moments of my life.

My children are the greatest source of joy in my life, even when they don't do what I hoped or expected. Sure, they are lots of work and worry but so was I.

-Tim-
Old 03-06-17, 04:34 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

i was mostly being facetious. mostly.
Old 03-06-17, 05:18 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah you'll soon realize the wedding is for everyone else, not for you.
Oh, for sure. Which is kind of strange, since aside from like your parents, no one else really cares anyway. Your friends would probably rather hang out with you casually, and everyone else is totally just there out of obligation.

we did our wedding kind of unconventionally - which is pretty much just like us.
ceremony + reception at a small private lodge by a lake, on the really nice stone-laid patio, <100 guests, 10 minute customized non-denominational ceremony with Shinto undertones, no wedding parties, only best man/matron. Sigur Ros played in the background. No first dance alone together, we wanted everyone to dance with us (hate being on display). did mother/son, father/daughter dance at same time - again, with guests dancing. no best man/matron speeches, no garter/bouquet toss nonsense, we did cut a cake a small special cake, but served homemade cupcakes, we had horseshoes and croquet outside, along with pics with a flock of plastic pink flamingos. we didn't hire an expensive photographer, just had some cousins/friends take pics which was all we needed.
food was Dinosaur BBQ, and some specialty vegetarian sandwiches.
we had a blast.
we made our own invitations, and made a deal with the BBQ place to bring our own beer since our good friend worked for a beer distributor. part of the deal was they got to keep all the left over beer for themselves.

all told we spent <$6000 on everything.

and i wouldn't have changed a thing.
Sounds great! Fun and responsible.

I don't often say this, but folks should consider borrowing a page out of the Korean book on this one. Everyone brings cash instead of gifts, and after the meal you use that cash to pay the venue. (In theory any leftover money is yours to keep, but in practice most of it goes to your in-laws because reasons.) I'll never understand the practice of spending money you can't afford to throw a party no one wants. The gap between what people expect when they're planning the wedding versus what they actually get for all that stress and expense would make the Grand Canyon blush.
Old 03-06-17, 05:38 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Mexican weddings have a similar bent

After the ceremony the bride goes around thanking everyone carrying her shoe and guests fill it with money

The groom dances with his homies in a special white shirt, and his best man carries around pins, his homies pin money to his shirt

The money is generally to pay for the mariachi, most everything else wouldve been brought from the families, food, booze etc

-

First time i saw this was a week after i was at a traditional Roman Catholic wedding for some young ginzos like ive always seen, and no one (including bride and groom) gave a **** about anything but getting drunk and free food.

The Mexican wedding was full of awesome vibes, food was 1000000% better, and everyone enjoyed being in an awesome celebration about two people, it went on all night

Quite a polar difference. Its pretty interesting to see what different cultures put value on
Old 03-06-17, 07:52 PM
Unkle Rico

I am thankful to say that this is by no means a ****** wedding, so the cost isn't what is stressing me -- its just all the other crap that goes along with having a wedding i suppose.

I love my lady and we're a good mix of weird and whacky
Old 03-06-17, 07:58 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scoho
I don't often say this, but folks should consider borrowing a page out of the Korean book on this one. Everyone brings cash instead of gifts, and after the meal you use that cash to pay the venue. (In theory any leftover money is yours to keep, but in practice most of it goes to your in-laws because reasons.) I'll never understand the practice of spending money you can't afford to throw a party no one wants. The gap between what people expect when they're planning the wedding versus what they actually get for all that stress and expense would make the Grand Canyon blush.
Except at Korean weddings the amount or cash given is meticulously recorded and the assumption is you will pay back the same amount at a later date. It's kind of like a loan. Also at a traditional Korean wedding the sop is to invite anyone and everyone you know to rake in the dough. btw this is in no way intended to be a dis to Korean culture and of course not all Koreans abide by these traditions, but if you've been to a Korean wedding, which it sounds like you have, you know what I mean.

Anyway I agree that spending money beyond your means for a wedding is going overboard. Keep it simple, friends and family who actually want to be there. It should be a special and fun event, maybe a little stress, but hopefully worth it in the end.

and congrats Unkle Rico
Old 03-06-17, 08:06 PM
SevenOneEight

Bikes: 2014 Soma Rush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people spend a lot of money on weddings and some people spend a lot of money on bikes.
Old 03-06-17, 08:09 PM
scoho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hardboiled718
Except at Korean weddings the amount or cash given is meticulously recorded and the assumption is you will pay back the same amount at a later date. It's kind of like a loan. Also at a traditional Korean wedding the sop is to invite anyone and everyone you know to rake in the dough. btw this is in no way intended to be a dis to Korean culture and of course not all Koreans abide by these traditions, but if you've been to a Korean wedding, which it sounds like you have, you know what I mean.
You're right, but I think the de facto loan system makes a lot of sense: much better to, in essence, pay for your wedding (via attending acquaintances' weddings with cash) little by little over the course of your adult life than to pay for it (or, god forbid, go into debt for it) all at once right as you're embarking on your married life. I much prefer it to the American tradition of buying a bunch of shiz that the couple doesn't really need or want anyway, which still leaves the couple on the hook for the wedding bill (as the giver will be when it comes time for his/her own wedding).

Last edited by scoho; 03-06-17 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 08:17 PM
scoho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
Mexican weddings have a similar bent

After the ceremony the bride goes around thanking everyone carrying her shoe and guests fill it with money

The groom dances with his homies in a special white shirt, and his best man carries around pins, his homies pin money to his shirt

The money is generally to pay for the mariachi, most everything else wouldve been brought from the families, food, booze etc

-

First time i saw this was a week after i was at a traditional Roman Catholic wedding for some young ginzos like ive always seen, and no one (including bride and groom) gave a **** about anything but getting drunk and free food.

The Mexican wedding was full of awesome vibes, food was 1000000% better, and everyone enjoyed being in an awesome celebration about two people, it went on all night

Quite a polar difference. Its pretty interesting to see what different cultures put value on
That sounds like a blast!

Korean weddings aren't actually fun. They're just more financially responsible. (Unless you're trying to show off your [real or supposed] wealth, in which case they can give the most lavish American weddings a run for their money. But most normal folk can and do avoid this.)
Old 03-06-17, 10:03 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

We used a website where people could donate money to our honeymoon as our requested gift/registry. We'd lived together for 3 years already and didn't have a house so the usual registry stuff was pointless.

Today I finally watched Dr Strange. I also decided that my goal is to be a manager or director level in 5 years.
Or win he lotto. Whichever comes first.
Old 03-07-17, 02:11 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
i went to a wedding in austin this past weekend....most ceremonies i've been to are so lame. also, fairly religious. reading a bible verse to your future wife to prove your love to her seems stupid to me. it always just solidifies my anti-religion point of view.
Old 03-07-17, 02:13 PM
Unkle Rico

Yea, im not a fan of the bible stuff either -- sooooo we aren't doing anything like that at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.