Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tales of Woe From a Big Foot Cyclist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tales of Woe From a Big Foot Cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 08:35 AM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Yesterday, I sent an email to Altra suggesting to them to make a SPD shoe based on the Escalante. That is the shoe I think a lot of us would want. Naturally, they can make different cleat models. I suggest, if you want this also, you tell them so.
Old 09-06-20, 09:12 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I wear a 13 US or 47. I just use platform pedals (plastic version of Odyssey Grandstand) and wear Nike knit running shoes, or whatever else I want to.

Otto
Old 11-14-20, 12:22 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Bump

I wear a US 14. Size 14 Adidas running shoes fit me perfectly. In Keen shoes (not the bike sandals) I wear a 15. I need a little extra width in the toe box, particularly on my left foot. I just received a pair of the Giro Rumble VR size 50 and the initial test fit feels pretty good wearing thin cycling socks. I'll report back after I get some cleats on them but I am pretty excited.

Last edited by reverborama; 11-14-20 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For reverborama:
Old 11-14-20, 01:12 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
I just received a pair of the Giro Rumble VR size 50 and the initial test fit feels pretty good wearing thin cycling socks. I'll report back after I get some cleats on them but I am pretty excited.
Very interesting shoe... I'll be interested to hear your feedback. Do you know how wide your fit are? (I.e., D, E, EE, etc.?) On the Competitive Cyclist web site, there is a note that says the Giro Rumble VR "Fits slightly small". I also noticed on Giro's web site that the Rumble VR is a "unisex shoe". That could be a problem for those of us with wide feet as men's feet and women's feet are not the same and men's feet are often wider. Several of the comments on Giro's site mention the Rumble VR as running small as well.

Sizing aside, I'd really like an SPD-compatible shoe that wasn't as aggressive or heavy as my Lake CX shoes. The Giro Rumble VR looks like something I'd be interested in if it came in a wide width.

Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 11-14-20, 04:44 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I have worn Sidi since my Motocross days in the early 1970's. I wear a Dominator 49 Mega (the wide version) and use SPD pedals on my road bikes and the tandem, My feet have narrow heels and are wide across the toes, and the Sidi are a good fit.

The Sidi seem to last several years of almost daily rides from May through October. I did buy one pair of Bont shoes, and they were quite nice, but the carbon fiber sole bed cracked on one of them, so into the bin with them. The Nylon Sidi sole beds seem to last forever. The only thing that has worn out are the buckles, and they are replaceable at under $20 for a set.

On winter days where the temperature is above 20F, I wear my old Thorogood wildland fire boots in 14.5 Wide. They are maybe 15 years old, the first 5 years being worn while fighting wildland fires. They were big bucks, like listing for over $400, but someone else paid for mine. Not sure that Thorogood makes them any more. Since they are a Goodyear welt, the soles can be replaced, so they may well last me all my life.
Old 11-15-20, 10:39 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Put some cleats on the Giro Rumble VR this morning and took them out for a quick spin around the neighborhood. I like them. I wore a heavier winter sock and the fit was adequate. These do not have as much toe room as the Keen Austin cycling shoe they no longer make. It's hard to imagine anything as comfortable as those but it comes at a weight price. Even with the heavy socks I could feel the 32 degree wind through them. They are really well ventilated. This is a good thing as my plan for them is for spring/summer/fall -- I have a couple of shoes that work fine for winter riding.

For data purposes I weighed a some shoes for comparison:
Rumble VR, size 15 with laces and ATAC cleats: 521 grams
Keen Austin, size 15 with laces and ATAC cleats: 691 grams
Five-Ten Hellcat, size 15 with laces and ATAC cleats: 655 grams

The Five-Ten is an Adidas brand but they don't have anything to do with their sneaker line. I wear a 14 in their running/hiking shoes and I love the way they fit. I need a 15 in the Five-Ten and it doesn't fit as well. It's adequate but I am not running out to get an extra pair in case they stop making them. If they took the Terrix Agravic shoe and made a MTB shoe based on it I would buy them every time. And it wouldn't be hard to do as that shoe already has a very stiff sole.

Last edited by reverborama; 11-16-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 12:11 PM
PoorInRichfield

If I had an infinite budget to keep trying new shoes (which I don't), I'd like to try the Fizik Tempo Overcurve R4 Wide shoes. While Fizik has the worst product names in the world, my experience is that they produce quality products.

(Thought to self: I wonder how I could get a job as a "wide shoe tester" and get free products sent to me for review? )

Old 12-03-22, 12:07 PM
PoorInRichfield

The saga continues... but perhaps is over? Tales of Woe From a Big Foot Cyclist - Part 2