Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Review: Axiom Seymour Oceanwave P7 handlebar bag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-21, 05:40 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

I haven't posted on this forum for a while, but I recently picked up a new handlebar bag and a friend suggested I write up a quick review. This forum seems like the best place for it.

The bag is an Axiom Seymour Oceanwave P7 handlebar bag. Universal Cycles (with which I have no affiliation) has a screaming deal on them right now, so if you're in the market for a mid-sized handlebar bag, this is worth considering.

The bag has no internal structure, so it's quite frumpy unless you fill it up.

Universal lists the capacity as "7 in3" but it's obviously more than that. Axiom lists it as 7 liters. I think that's pretty big for a rackless bag.

As a point of comparison, I had been using this bag from Intertia Designs:

That bag is holding a tube, tire levers, mini tool, pump, Otto lock, a mask, spare gloves, and a couple of energy bars. For my first ride with the Axiom Seymour, I just left all that stuff in the old bag and tossed it in the new bag.

That left room for a full sized rain jacket that I didn't even bother tightly folding, and a case for my glasses.

The Axiom Seymour P7 attaches via two straps at the handlebar and has another strap for stabilization in the back middle of the bag. For my first ride, I wrapped that strap around the head tube.

I probably wouldn't want to do that with paint, but this bike is powder coated so I wasn't worried. That held the bag very securely in place. I rode about 35 miles on paved roads and didn't notice it moving much. On one chipseal descent I was hearing some scraping from the front fender, which I think might have been caused by the bag bumping on the fender.

Looking at it closely when I got home I realized I could hold the bag up a little higher by wrapping the rear strap around the stem over the headset.

Old 03-21-21, 06:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
And you figured out how to get it off your fender!

I saw this bag on Andy's bike today. Great deal for a not that small bag.
Old 03-22-21, 09:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Thanks. I bought one.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-23-21, 08:27 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I bought one too thanks!
Old 03-23-21, 07:05 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts

I bought the rear bag and I'm happy with it.....probably will buy the handlebar bag also