Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting/Recreational Gearing Question.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 09:23 AM
BassistBiker
Wide Load

Bikes: Salsa Journeyman, Trek Fuel EX 8, State Bicycles Delfin Core-Line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

OK, so this post could be commuting, or gravel riding (recreational) or maybe something else entirely…

I’ve got a gearing question.

My bike is a Salsa Journeyman 700c, currently setup with a 42T chainring and a Sunrace 11-46 11 speed cassette.

After about a year I’ve grown weary of the Sunrace cassette quality (whole different thread)…So I ordered a new SRAM PG-1130 cassette…This cassette is only 11-42…so a bit smaller than the Sunrace.

Now, I know the chain needs to be shorter, so I’m just replacing it, but is there any reason to swap the chainring? Is a 42T going to work OK with a 11-42 cassette, or should I swap to something smaller like a 40T or 38T?

I’m not super worried about top speed, I’m not setting any records, this bike is mostly my “do it all” bike, it spends more time on bike paths and gravel than it does trying to set Strava times on the road (not my crowd).

So I guess to summarize, is a 42T combined with a 11-42 Cassette going to cover “most things”? Or should I switch to the 40 or 38T for just a bit better “granny gear” for hills.
Old 03-25-21, 09:36 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I'd say if you ride a lot of hills and and you regularly used the biggest 46T cog on the Sunrace cassette, it would be worth getting a new smaller chainring to compensate for the smaller cassette range. Worst case is you find yourself spinning out, then you can switch back to the bigger chainring.
Old 03-25-21, 10:02 AM
BassistBiker
Wide Load

Originally Posted by bOsscO
I'd say if you ride a lot of hills and and you regularly used the biggest 46T cog on the Sunrace cassette, it would be worth getting a new smaller chainring to compensate for the smaller cassette range. Worst case is you find yourself spinning out, then you can switch back to the bigger chainring.
Thanks!

This was kinda my thought too, and I think between the 38 or 40T I'd go with the 40...I'm not young, but I'm not dead either LOL so I "think" I can manage with the 40.

As far as I can see, the Apex 1 version of this bike comes factory with the 40T and that exact SRAM 11-42 cassette, so that's probably the best combo to cover the most ground I would think.
Old 03-25-21, 10:07 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I find it hard to believe you can't climb trees with 1:1 gearing. But if you find yourself in that low gear a lot, by all means swap out to smaller chain ring. You ride it, not us.
Old 03-25-21, 10:23 AM
BassistBiker
Wide Load

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I find it hard to believe you can't climb trees with 1:1 gearing.
Didn't say I couldn't.

Just was curious if there would be a noticeable difference going from 11-46 to a 11-42 cassette using the existing chainring....I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that someone had ridden these combos before, and could offer up any differences noticed.

And no, I don't spend much time on the 46...but for the occasional "tree" I guess it's handy.
Likes For BassistBiker:
Old 03-26-21, 09:35 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I would try it first with the smaller cassette. If it doesn't work well for you, you can change the ring later. Since the chainring you would go to is smaller, the only thing you might have to do is shorten the chain.
Likes For timdow:
Old 03-26-21, 02:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm interested to hear what was wrong with the prior cassette.

I doubt you need to change the chain, much less the chain ring, unless you are really picky about shifting or you've done a lot of miles. Don't forget to adjust the b screw in low gear. The difference in effort in low gear is about half a shift.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-26-21, 02:14 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd be very surprised if you rode with 42 ring and 42 cog, and felt like you needed more unless you've got some monster climb nearby.

I know it's hard to hold back when we start changing parts, but in this case there's little likelihood or urgency & I'd put it on the maybe-later-if-I-still-want-to list.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-27-21, 06:04 AM
BassistBiker
Wide Load

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm interested to hear what was wrong with the prior cassette...
A few things actually.

Let me say, I don't hate Sunrace, and have used many of their products over the last few years but...This CSMX8 cassette has been hot trash.

After the initial honeymoon phase wore off:

-Shift quality is garbage, (and I do actually know how to set up a derailleur).
-Build Quality is suspect, I have the silver one, it "looks" beautiful, but "feels" cheap to the touch.

But the killer for me was the nut that actually holds the cassette on (I'm sure there's a name for it), no matter what I did, it would never stay tight, I've had to re-torque this thing probably at least 6-8 times over this last year, and the most recent time, the nut backed off entirely while on a ride, I was some distance from home requiring a call to the wife for a ride (I don't carry cassette tools on a ride)...I have since coated the threads with blue Loctite, so far it's stayed tight...I have never had any issue with this hub, or any other cassettes, so I'm placing the blame squarely at Sunrace's feet.
Old 05-12-21, 01:18 PM
pisuicas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
make yourself a favor and buy new chain,
new cassette new chain (if you want to know why let me know) , make it better buy same brand as your cassette, this is like a golden rule for me
I drive 40t for commute and live on hilly place with 42 cassette on the back is ok but depends a lot of your weight, your bike weight and your power.