Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Need for Basic Bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Need for Basic Bikes

Old 03-27-21, 11:12 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
You're obligate cyclists are a small enough percentage of the population to be served entirely by the used market.

Unfortunately, most don't want that option.

Bowing out. Happy riding.
This!
Old 03-27-21, 03:38 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
A big fundamental problem here is people don't truly understand poverty. I collect and restore vintage bmx bikes and over the years I get modern ones that I like to donate to kids in need. When I see the kids a month or two later a) The bike is stripped of all the good parts b) The bike was "Stolen" aka sold. I made up my mind to not let this bother me and if the cash helps the kid it's all good.

You can make the best quality bike in the world but if is too cheap then it won't be cared for properly. It will be stolen, sold or what ever. It's the attitude of the people that makes the bike "Unreliable". When people have to work hard and the bike is not easily replaceable people start taking better care of it. Locking it up etc.

$200 Walmart bikes get trashed quickly from misuse and not always from wear and tear.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 03-27-21, 03:52 PM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Uhh, no. Actually no one here cares what you want to do with your time. But the whole point is to enable people to obtain decent, well-assembled bikes at Walmart-like prices. This would actually compete with Walmart. How would that enable Walmart to sell more?

I've owned a couple of Walmart bikes over the past couple decades. My observation is the ones I had were so poorly manufactured as to be maintenance proof.
A distinction without a difference. So some other for profit company is going to be selling these bikes for profit and I am expected to provide the free labor necessary to make the company profitable.
Old 03-27-21, 04:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
A big fundamental problem here is people don't truly understand poverty economics.
fify.
Old 03-27-21, 04:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
A distinction without a difference. So some other for profit company is going to be selling these bikes for profit and I am expected to provide the free labor necessary to make the company profitable.

Literally no one expects you to do a damn thing.
Old 03-27-21, 11:27 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
No, you're not. Nor is anyone else.

This is the hole you dig for yourself when you pretend someone said something other than what they actually said.
Old 03-27-21, 11:31 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by cbrstar
I collect and restore vintage bmx bikes and over the years I get modern ones that I like to donate to kids in need. When I see the kids a month or two later a) The bike is stripped of all the good parts b) The bike was "Stolen" aka sold. I made up my mind to not let this bother me and if the cash helps the kid it's all good.
Your target audience doesn't actually need a bike (if they did, you'd be handing out something more practical than a BMX...)

You can make the best quality bike in the world but if is too cheap then it won't be cared for properly. It will be stolen, sold or what ever.
Those who need their bikes for transport don't sell them. As for stolen, if the employer doesn't offer a secure place to lock it up, that is indeed a risk - its all but impossible to sufficiently secure one.

Theft is enough of an issue that a basic transport bike had better not be worth all that much, if it were it would be too valuable to use for no-indoor-parking commuting and utility.

$200 Walmart bikes get trashed quickly from misuse and not always from wear and tear.
Um... they come pre-trashed - that's the problem I'm focusing on.
Old 03-27-21, 11:58 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I remember my Free Spirit as pretty basic, but not very nice bike. Steel rims for exanple and heavy. I got married in 75 and we bought two nice Euro 10 speeds for about $200 each, One was a Raleigh and the other a french make I cannot recall the name, The Sears bike was given away.
Old 03-28-21, 01:59 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
... what you want is an AK 47 shaped like a bicycle
I get bikes here in Cambodia that came from Japan in a container, they are anywhere from $40 to $60 and probably would be one of the best bikes that LBS should provide.
Here is one of them.

1x7 speed and it just works. Cheap build but it works

Here is one like above I stripped and made into a coaster brake only bike.
Besides most people do not understand the idea of the front shifter therefore the 80s mt bike is not optimum, make it a 1x and get rid of the triple chainring would be simpler and easier to work on.

Last edited by bwilli88; 03-28-21 at 02:03 AM.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 03-28-21, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I remember my Free Spirit as pretty basic, but not very nice bike. Steel rims for exanple and heavy. I got married in 75 and we bought two nice Euro 10 speeds for about $200 each, One was a Raleigh and the other a french make I cannot recall the name, The Sears bike was given away.

Just for perspective, realize that $200 in 1975 is about $978 in 2021 money.
Old 03-28-21, 04:53 PM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I read the post a little differently. It seems to me that the underlying issue is how you build a bike transport culture as opposed to a bike enthusiast culture. That would require cheap but sturdy standardized bikes with interchangeable parts and maybe a 3-5 speed rear derailleur. The problem is that biking in a lot of major cities is dangerous given the roads, speeds and the lack of designated bike lanes. To build a bike transport would require rebuilding the urban infrastructure to make biking safer.
Old 03-28-21, 06:38 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Ramshackle
I read the post a little differently. It seems to me that the underlying issue is how you build a bike transport culture as opposed to a bike enthusiast culture. That would require cheap but sturdy standardized bikes with interchangeable parts and maybe a 3-5 speed rear derailleur.
Yes

The problem is that biking in a lot of major cities is dangerous given the roads, speeds and the lack of designated bike lanes. To build a bike transport would require rebuilding the urban infrastructure to make biking safer.
That is indeed a problem - but despite it, there are already people using bikes for transport
  • Because they enjoy it
  • Because they believe strongly in minimizing the use of motor vehicles
  • Because their financial situation gives them no alternative
Making bike-based transport safer and more popular is indeed important. But the linked article and this thread is focused specifically on the needs of that last group - the people who already see a bike as their only choice, but need to find one suitable without sinking a lot of time into chasing the variations of the used market.

Not that what works there couldn't also be appealing to those who could afford (and may in fact own) a better bike for enjoyment rides, but would prefer to only risk a budget bike where having to lock up outside, winter road salt, etc aspects of commute/utility cycling are concerned.
Old 03-29-21, 04:06 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Yes

That is indeed a problem - but despite it, there are already people using bikes for transport
  • Because they enjoy it
  • Because they believe strongly in minimizing the use of motor vehicles
  • Because their financial situation gives them no alternative
Making bike-based transport safer and more popular is indeed important. But the linked article and this thread is focused specifically on the needs of that last group - the people who already see a bike as their only choice, but need to find one suitable without sinking a lot of time into chasing the variations of the used market.

Not that what works there couldn't also be appealing to those who could afford (and may in fact own) a better bike for enjoyment rides, but would prefer to only risk a budget bike where having to lock up outside, winter road salt, etc aspects of commute/utility cycling are concerned.
The linked article is contradictive and rambling, and in the end it is nothing more than a co-op advertisement written by a co-op founder, with links to their donation page.
Old 03-29-21, 04:33 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Sladda Fate; Priority?

https://medium.com/@helikes.it/updat...-0-42d413ff925

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-sladda-bikes

I have zero experience with either one, but they are real attempts to scratch this itch.

Last edited by flangehead; 03-29-21 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Fix links.
Old 03-29-21, 08:57 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Solution: It's called the old bicycle. There are millions of them out there and they fit the bill of cheap, reliable, easily maintained transportation. They can often be had for less that $100 (plenty of personal experience there) and are often a few consumable parts away from being just as good or better than new. Most nine-year-olds can be taught to replace a tire or a chain. Here is a good example. This type of bicycle is the most produced vehicle of any kind ever, and it does exactly what it was designed to do.

Other excellent options include the tons and tons of English three speeds sitting unused across the country, Chicago Schwinns, Free Spirits, etc.
We don't need new bikes. We need to use the ones we already made.
Except nobody wants to ride something that ugly looking.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-29-21, 09:33 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by prj71
Eye of the beholder - that's a nice looking bike for a few miles around town.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 03-29-21, 09:47 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Yeah at least color match the frame pump. jeez lol
Old 03-29-21, 09:48 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by flangehead
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-sladda-bikes

I have zero experience with either one, but they are real attempts to scratch this itch.
Somewhat... Ikea trying something sounds like the right kind of idea. However, at a reported $499 and very basic capability, it's not really a viable price for an economic need, as opposed to a desire.

And then there's what actually killed it, which was doing something quirky. Belt drives are not of course unknown, and seem viable in concept and other's execution, but whatever they went with broke too many times and lead to a recalling all the bikes and abandoning the idea.

One of the lessons there is probably "be boringly ordinary" - any contemplated "innovation" needs to have a fallback alternative of long proven, widely understood technology. Also, pilot before going large. And then beware of component substitutions, since part of going large is finding the cheapest suitable volume source for each part, rather than the off-the-shelf ones likely used in a pilot.

(Ikea also tends to locate their huge stores in areas that are very time consuming to get to without a car...)

Last edited by UniChris; 03-29-21 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 10:01 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Funny, i was thinking "work of art."
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-29-21, 11:15 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
the rise of the utilitarians has been foreshadowed.................................1 rear cog, coaster brake?, heavy tire, 100 years to rust thru
Old 03-29-21, 11:50 AM
CoachPerry19

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike Inequality?

If you take some time to read the article you get with the inevitable dribble like - "it's time for the activists to up their game and end this horrible oppression" - like somebody got up this morning and planned to place somebody else at a disadvantage? I live in the Connecticut RIver Valley as it runs between NH and VT and within a 30 minute drive I can go to five agencies and co-ops that will give anybody a refurbished bike for free. So the question of a gap that just HAS to be closed is rubbish. The author runs a bike-coop and guess what he wants funding for...? Decent bikes are available to most who want one. As a retired mechanic I spend all winter working on a new batch of used bikes and sell them all for the price of the parts come Spring.

Could always try to get a bike the old fashioned way? Save your money and buy one.
Likes For CoachPerry19:
Old 03-29-21, 11:52 AM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
How much did a bike cost in 1920? Probably a worker's monthly wages or more and that was a heavy single speed bike. For a monthly wage, even at minimum wage, you can buy a decent commuter bike nowadays.

People say they want a simple bike, then buy the colorful full suspension bike at Walmart. Walmart sells exactly what people actually buy. If people buy a decent rigid commuter bike for $500, Walmart would sell it. But people only talk about buying a decent bike, then end up with the cheap one.

The terrible truth is, to buy a decent bike people would have to give up smoking, drinking, drugs and Starbucks. And that actually tells us people's priorities.

It is not different with cars. Many years ago I worked at Starbucks. People came every day to buy a $5 coffee. But didn't have money to fix their driver side mirror that had fallen off. 1 month brewing coffee at home would have paid for a life saving safety feature. Priorities....
If you're smoking, drinking, buying Starbucks and drugs, you're middle class, at least.
Old 03-29-21, 11:55 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
NFPs and Locally Built

You can't send those without transportation to a big box store, because they don't have transportation.
Not for profits fulfill the roll of refurbishing bikes and teaching people about bikes in Detroit and other cities. They must give away the department store bikes after they teach young people. But of course the Hub hasn't been open since Covid struck except for a garage sale this weekend. I assume a few still get paychecks and insurance, but don't need to work. Additionally, I don't understand the prices for the refurb and sell model. I am baffled that they charge $300 and up for a 3 speed, and everything else is more, often more than 50% I charge for a well worn refurbished bike. Then there is the Madison WI NFP that asks $1000 for a steel TREK MTB on ebay. Go figure, cause I can't.

https://thehubofdetroit.org/back-alley-bikes/

I prefer this concept more and always find 5-6 bikes for them annually.
https://fb4kdetroit.org

As far as local manufacturing, see below.
Locally built - moderate pricing
https://detroitbikes.com

Locally built - not so moderate pricing
https://detroitbikes.com

GM just abandoned it's electric bike venture after only a year in this mobility space.
Old 03-29-21, 11:59 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by CoachPerry19
If you take some time to read the article you get with the inevitable dribble
Indeed, it wouldn't be streetsblog without a large helping of such - this article seemed to have relatively few leaps of illogic compared to their usual.

I live in the Connecticut RIver Valley as it runs between NH and VT and within a 30 minute drive I can go to five agencies and co-ops that will give anybody a refurbished bike for free.
Not that far south of you and the used market seems to be slim pickings, a fact that's comes up frequently in local forums. That said, the article was actually talking about NYC in particular.

So the question of a gap that just HAS to be closed is rubbish. The author runs a bike-coop and guess what he wants funding for...?
Bike co-ops are part of the solution - as you pointed out above yourself - but I don't see that being pushed as the only solution. A bit part of it was pointing out how the current offerings of the bike box stores are part of the problem, rather than a solution.

Could always try to get a bike the old fashioned way? Save your money and buy one.
Saving is indeed "old fashioned" in today's culture - and even in income tiers where it shouldn't be. I hesitate to be too critical of low wage (and in more than a few cases, under the table wage) people not managing to do what plenty of folks with salaried jobs, houses, and multiple cars aren't managing to do either.

There's a huge gap between having the funds available to do something but deciding you can't afford to, to not having the funds and having no way to do it, to not having the funds and going ahead and doing it with ready consumer credit - I suspect we're getting to the point where many individuals live their whole lives in one of those categories with little more than a dim awareness that the other categories even exist.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-29-21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 12:53 PM
bongobike

Bikes: 83 Centurion LeMans, 84 Trek 500, 84 Centurion Turbo, 86 Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Streetsblog surprised me today by having an article which highlights a real issue without bending it all out of shape: How the ‘Budget-Bike Trap’ Creates Inequality

To some extent, this is a rant against department store bike-shaped-objects, but it's also a recognition of the lack of affordable alternatives, and as such, it's food for thought.

There should exist a budget bike built for utility, not bogus marketing features. No shocks, perhaps not single speed but maybe only a rear derailleur. Probably rim brakes for simplicity and easy of maintenance. Standard size interchangeable components. It probably already even exists in the developing world, it's just not what is imagined to appeal to, and shipped for sale to, throwaway culture consumers.

And the big box stores should carry it. It might not look fancy on the floor, but word would get around that it was a good choice - maybe not for the child gift market, but at least for the adult utility one.

Assembly should be local - sure, import containers of components, but putting them together in an organized fashion locally would make sense, and from pallets of like parts, not individually boxed "kits" mis-assembled by someone isolated in the back room of the store for a few bucks per "bike" as these stores currently do. Think what the bike coops do, but feed them with sound components rather than be rescuing basket cases. Would make a good jobs program.

There should be a camp where you build your own - there's a huge market for both adult "experiences" and summer programs to fill kids time, and nothing creates self-reliant ownership like knowing how all the parts went together. And while the prebuild has machine assembled wheels, for the camp on day one you're handed the front rim, hub and spokes and walk through lacing it as group, day two you do the dished rear...
In my town, San Antonio, we have the Earn a Bike Project where people, mostly young, volunteer to help clean up the place and learn how to build bikes. A lot of bike owners me included, donate parts. In my case some vintage parts. Same thing goes in Austin, Texas with the yellow bike project
Likes For bongobike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.