Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wabi vs Kilo TT vs ??? for intro to SS/FG

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 07:44 AM
littlebigbot

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, this is technically my first post (in more than 5 years, when I got my first 'real' bike) but I'm looking for some advice:

I was commuting regularly (in Austin, if that's important) on my old Surly LHT that I got for touring. It was the only bike I had at the time since space was limited. Then earlier this year, a car turned through the bike lane and into me and my trusty LHT. Initially the shop the frame was very slightly bent, but rideable (front wheel and brake lines were totaled, though). Anyways, went back to the shop since insurance reimbursed me and they found cracks in the frame, so repairing would cost $950, which doesn't seem worth it since I got my LHT for $1150 5 years ago.

To make this long story short: I wanna get a SS bike, preferably with a flip flop hub to try out. I had planned on getting one even before my LHT bit the dust, it's a beast and not great for commuting, and I had noticed I never changed gears all that much.

So I'm looking at the Wabi Classic, Kilo TT Stripper/Pro. If price were no object, I'd go for the Wabi Lightning SE, but I'm hoping to spend only $500-$750, I know I'd have to replace a bunch of things on the Kilo TT (especially Stripper) which would bring up the price. Is the reduced weight of the Wabi really worth it over the Kilo TTs? And how much do the Kilo TTs even weigh? And I'm considering the Stripper purely out of aesthetic reasons since I can be filthy hipster scum.

If there are any other places I should check out besides Bikesdirect or Wabi, I'd love to know. I'm really new at FG/SS bikes.

Thanks y'all. I've been lurking mostly for 5 years now and y'all have been perpetually helpful
Old 08-03-16, 07:56 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'd go Wabi personally
Old 08-03-16, 08:04 AM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've had 3 BD fixed gear bikes (Windsor The Hour, Kilo TT, Kilo TT Pro) and I do recommend them, as long as you understand that you're going to have to do some wrenching (so you'll need tools and stuff) or you're going to have to take it to a bike shop.

As far as the Kilo TTs are concerned, take a look at the Kilo TT Pro; it's got a much better parts set than the regular Kilo TT (including the Stripper). The only thing I felt I *had* to replace when I got my Pro was the lockring, and that was probably only out of paranoia. You'll probably *want* to replace the saddle and pedals quickly. Everything else on the Pro is fine; cranks are Sugino RD2s, wheels are Alex G6000s (with sealed hubs)... it's a fine bike.

I can't speak to the Wabis, I know very little about them.
Old 08-03-16, 08:06 AM
cDiff Notorious

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlebigbot
Hi guys, this is technically my first post (in more than 5 years, when I got my first 'real' bike) but I'm looking for some advice:

I was commuting regularly (in Austin, if that's important) on my old Surly LHT that I got for touring. It was the only bike I had at the time since space was limited. Then earlier this year, a car turned through the bike lane and into me and my trusty LHT. Initially the shop the frame was very slightly bent, but rideable (front wheel and brake lines were totaled, though). Anyways, went back to the shop since insurance reimbursed me and they found cracks in the frame, so repairing would cost $950, which doesn't seem worth it since I got my LHT for $1150 5 years ago.

To make this long story short: I wanna get a SS bike, preferably with a flip flop hub to try out. I had planned on getting one even before my LHT bit the dust, it's a beast and not great for commuting, and I had noticed I never changed gears all that much.

So I'm looking at the Wabi Classic, Kilo TT Stripper/Pro. If price were no object, I'd go for the Wabi Lightning SE, but I'm hoping to spend only $500-$750, I know I'd have to replace a bunch of things on the Kilo TT (especially Stripper) which would bring up the price. Is the reduced weight of the Wabi really worth it over the Kilo TTs? And how much do the Kilo TTs even weigh? And I'm considering the Stripper purely out of aesthetic reasons since I can be filthy hipster scum.

If there are any other places I should check out besides Bikesdirect or Wabi, I'd love to know. I'm really new at FG/SS bikes.

Thanks y'all. I've been lurking mostly for 5 years now and y'all have been perpetually helpful
Wabi over kilo tt especially for distance riding because the kilo tt has track geometry. Ive read statements here that kilo tt is flexy. If I were you I would save up for the lightning SE (which is what i shouldve done). Some track cranks are not compatible with the classic which isnt a problem for lightning SE. The lightning SE does not take size 32 tires if you are into that. From their site, "the Lightning SE will accept up to 26mm width tires."

The Surly Steamroller has great reviews. Id get one if I didnt already have a Wabi.
Old 08-03-16, 08:22 AM
littlebigbot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, y'all.

One more question: are stock tires fine on the Kilo TT Pro and Wabi? I'm super paranoid about flats, I'd been real unlucky the last few months of riding.
Old 08-03-16, 09:07 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Thanks for the advice, y'all.

One more question: are stock tires fine on the Kilo TT Pro and Wabi? I'm super paranoid about flats, I'd been real unlucky the last few months of riding.
No, stock tires are never very good, so you will definitely want to to replace them with something that has better puncture resistance. I'm personally partial to the Panaracer RiBMo as a nice riding tire with great puncture resistance.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-03-16 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 10:36 AM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
are stock tires fine on the Kilo TT Pro
They're not the greatest. I haven't gotten a flat yet in three weeks of riding them almost daily. 'Course I haven't skidded yet, either. I'm going to replace them soon.
Old 08-03-16, 11:21 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have a Wabi Special I bought back last March. It's by far and away the most comfortable riding bike I've ever owned. I used to commute on it to until we relocated. It's a great commuter bike as well as trainer. I'm seriously considering a Wabi Lightning for my next geared bike. They ride that well. It's a lot of bike for the money. I run Challenge Strada Bianca open tubular 700c/30c tires on my Wabi and it flies (like on 25's) and is silky smooth.

Purists will probably scoff at me but I upgraded the brake calipers to Ultegra's and oh man, what a difference! I also went with Shimano XT mountain bike pedals, also a great choice for me.

Last edited by drlogik; 08-03-16 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 12:20 PM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Wabi Lightning. I don't have any other fixed/ss for comparison. TT has lots of bikes to include a Lightning so his thoughts for comparison may be useful. I do long road rides on the Wabi and have done four centuries. The Wabi geo is more like a road bike with higher bottom bracket than a track bike geo. I would think most riders would find the Wabi more comfortable for long road rides on less than idea surfaces. I initially replaced the tires and brake pads immediately. Eventually I replaced everything but the calipers, headset and front wheel (still have and use the rear wheel but have an additional Open Pro fixed/fixed hub). I replaced the crank, chain, cogs and bottom bracket with high quality (read expensive) track quality 1/8 drive train not because I needed to but because I wanted to and there is some downside in doing so. I find the Wabi as comfortable to ride as two expensive geared road bikes I have.
Old 08-03-16, 12:37 PM
Davidpll

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went for a TT Pro as my first FG bike, been riding it since June and really enjoying it. I ride to work & back which is 7 miles each way, I've changed a few things but mainly because I wanted to rather than 'had' to. Can't give a precise weight on the bike but it's no issue when I have to carry it up & down stairs. Still using the stock tires on it, and haven't had any (touch wood) issues yet.
Old 08-03-16, 01:44 PM
rreahard

Bikes: Are awesome!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#KiloTT
Old 08-03-16, 01:46 PM
littlebigbot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rreahard
#KiloTT
I've seen this around and I don't quite get the joke, if it is a joke?
Old 08-03-16, 03:09 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've seen this around and I don't quite get the joke, if it is a joke?
Everyone usually posts a "what bike should I get" thread and the Kilo TT is normally always the response based off the persons budget and expectations.

You have a more detailed and realistic thread so the #kilott doesn't really apply here.
Old 08-03-16, 03:18 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Big Block Baby!
Old 08-03-16, 03:46 PM
littlebigbot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's good about the Big Block? And how much does a complete cost ordinarily? I found one on ebay for $675 in my size and preferred configuration (I call dibs!), is that a good deal?

Last edited by littlebigbot; 08-03-16 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,991 Times in 2,664 Posts
pound sign: WabiTT
Old 08-03-16, 08:20 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is kind of a bummer that hashtags don't work any more. You used to be able to go see every thread where a KiloTT was mentioned.
Old 08-04-16, 06:55 PM
Darrick

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kilo TT owner here. For road use its "track geometry" is fine for my commutes. Although that is more personal preference/ individual physiology. Definitely nice bang for your buck (especially since mine was a CL find).

Though if budget is your primary factor Fuji has a new offering that may fit the bill for less. https://www.citygrounds.com/products/fuji-track-fixed-gear-bike-2016
Old 08-09-16, 05:58 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Bikes: Pinarello, Wabi, Purefix, Trek

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Might be time to splurge

I own a Wabi Lightning SE and am delighted with the fit, finish, and ride. It's the best bike in my 6 bike fleet. 25 years ago I was in the process of buying my first "real road bike", trying to decide whether to stick with my $1,200 budget or splurge on the $1,800 bike. The young sales guys said 'you're going to ride this bike for 20 years, and are you sure you want to carry the extra 3 pounds for 50,000 miles?' He was absolutely correct, given that I actually put 80,000 miles on that bike.

My advice: buy the bike you'll love the most. It's not the price of a Porsche or a boat, and you're going to ride the bike every day of the year. It might be time to spend a few extra dollars.
Old 08-16-16, 02:16 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quick chime in (if it's still relevant). I moved all of the components off of my Soma Rush frame to a Wabi Special frame two months ago. Ridden 500+ km's on the Wabi, and I have no regrets (except maybe buying the Rush frame two years ago).

I've never had a bike ride like the Wabi does, and frankly if you're going to continue with the 'just 1 bike' plan for now, grab a Wabi Classic. You'll ride daily short rides, sure, but then when you go to ride 50+ miles you'll appreciate the road geometry and weight savings. Plus you'll have the option for up to 32mm tires w/ fenders (even a rack). Lastly, Reynolds 725 is a bit of a cut above the steel that your LHT had, and it's above both the TT+Big Block.

I'll soon post a long review of the track geo vs. road geo difference between the Rush and the Wabi.
Old 08-17-16, 02:11 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I started with a Kilo Stripper. Got my feet wet and I love that bike, but next year I am upgrading. I enjoy SS/FG riding enough that I am ready for something better, but the Kilo was a good place for me to start.
Old 08-17-16, 03:10 PM
thewilson 

Bikes: CAAD10/Wabi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Up your budget and buy my wabi. I know it doesn't have a flip flop hub but you'll like fixed enough to not care.