Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikesdirect - Do the math

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bikesdirect - Do the math

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 06:40 AM
Totoro
King of the Forest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some time ago, I was in the market for a new bike. Bikesdirect had a full ultegra bike listed on their site for $995. However, when I checked out, the price was $1100. I never completed the transaction and I ended up buying from LBS (looking back, it was a wise decision). Lately I saw some postings on this board about "Look at this great deal I got from bikesdirect." So I decided to see for myself. Here's one listing on their site.
Motobecane Mirage Sport $395.99 - Take advantage of our exclusive pricing, these are shipping NOW and going fast.(MSRP $795 - Save $700)
So here's the math $795-700=$95 NOT $395. Like usual, they are $200 off.

Are these guys careless or are they deliberately trying to confuse customers?
Old 06-29-05, 06:47 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Both

― Bruce Lee
Old 06-29-05, 06:51 AM
Chef23

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there are good values to be had at Bikesdirect if you know what you are looking for and are handy with a wrench. I do agree that at times they try to confuse people a little. However if you are selective you can get some good deals. The Motobecane thread that was posted recently had componenets and wheels that made the frame close to a throw away.
Old 06-29-05, 06:54 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Actually it's $300 off, but in any case the math on that site is very screwy. I looked there once, then dismissed them completely in very short order. If I ever choose to puchase a brand new bike, it'll be from a LBS. I've come to understand the value of a good local shop over internet sales after reading through these forums over the last several weeks.

- of course this coming from the guy who's road bike is a $10 ebay purchase still being restored.
Old 06-29-05, 07:49 AM
blanqui
porkchop in every pint

Bikes: Airborne Thunderbolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience is different. I had a few local shops asking $2000 for ultegra/105 bikes (taiwan frames). The internet stores, in contrast, offer a few FULL ultegra bikes (including shimano wheels) for $1300. Anyone you slice it, the internet is going to offer you more bang for your buck.
Old 06-29-05, 08:01 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Untill you need work done on that internet sold bike. Over time any shop that offers free maintance on a bike is going to help you recover the initial cost of the bike. Agreed, $700 is a lot of maintance though. Guess it depends on how sure you are of the fit of the bike and how handy you are with your own maintance.
Old 06-29-05, 08:09 AM
blanqui
porkchop in every pint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Untill you need work done on that internet sold bike. Over time any shop that offers free maintance on a bike is going to help you recover the initial cost of the bike. Agreed, $700 is a lot of maintance though. Guess it depends on how sure you are of the fit of the bike and how handy you are with your own maintance.
Exactly. I do my own work and fitting is not a problem. These are, it seems, the only reasons to go to the LBS. Contrary to the OP and others I've read, many of the internet bikes have good components. Sure you have to be careful. The one I'm looking at now has shimano wheels and ultegra brakes. Local shops cut corners with components too, of course. A shop near me wants $2000 for an ultegra bike with 105 brakes. $2000 for a bike with 105 brakes?? That is just offensive.
Old 06-29-05, 08:10 AM
Totoro
King of the Forest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blanqui
My experience is different. I had a few local shops asking $2000 for ultegra/105 bikes (taiwan frames). The internet stores, in contrast, offer a few FULL ultegra bikes (including shimano wheels) for $1300. Anyone you slice it, the internet is going to offer you more bang for your buck.
That's not the issue.
Old 06-29-05, 08:11 AM
jhota
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the only real issue i have with BikesDirect is their use of "MSRP." as far as i know, they are the only people to carry Motobecane - so if they are the only ones selling a bike, how can one "compare" at a different (substantially higher) price? it's rather misleading.

but if you are aware of the misleading copy and handy with a wrench, i think they do have some good deals.
Old 06-29-05, 08:22 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just had a really awesome experience at Bikesdirect. I just ordered this bike last Wednsday for $1095 w/free shipping. It arrived Friday morning. Its a Fuji Team SL that's re-badged as a Motobecane. Basically a $2300 bike. Rides like a dream, and is wicked light. With the AC wheels it came in UNDER 16 pounds....

I'm incredibly happy with my purchase so far.

-Mike
Old 06-29-05, 08:27 AM
blanqui
porkchop in every pint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the issue? Supporting a local business vs. a global conglomerate? Well, the $2000 bike at the LBS is also made by the same global conglomerates. I've looked at several bikes online and at the LBS. In general, the LBS is $500-$700 more expensive for what I'm looking for: an ultegra equipped aluminum frame with carbon seat stays. Where does that $700 go? The owner of my LBS has a nice house,a boat, and goes to France to watch the Tour de France, but he doesn't offer health insurance or a 401k to his employees. In fact, as a small business owner, he enjoys a number of subsidies and breaks from the local, state, and federal governments.
Old 06-29-05, 08:42 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my honest opinion you usually go to the LBS for things an online store usually cannot offer and you are unable or uninclined to do so, e.g. fitting, customizing, repair/maintenance.
Old 06-29-05, 08:49 AM
martin_j001
Allez!!! Allez!!!

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie w/Dura Ace, Benotto w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know several people who have bought from bikesdirect and are very happy with their purchases. I am personally not aware of shops in my area that give a lifetime of free tuneups or anything like that on bikes they sell. Having bought two bikes from LBS in the past 3-4 years I find its more out of convenience for me to get them there than anything else--you get deals on accessories and whatever else you want when you buy. That being said, I don't always visit only one shop either, and I do my own maintenance for the most part. As long as you know what you're doing, internet shopping for bikes can save you a lot of money vs. going through your LBS--this doesn't mean you don't lose something by not going with your LBS, but you can certainly save money up front
Old 06-29-05, 08:54 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lol - looks like Ben and I posted almost at the same time and said almost the same thing.
Old 06-29-05, 09:24 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me, the hott setup would be to get the above Ultegra-equipped Motobecane for $1099... then pick up a nice Cannondale or other highly regarded frame on Ebay for $300-400... then switch over the components and sell the Motobecane frame on the same internet marketplace... nice bike and no sneers from the OCP crowd...
Old 06-29-05, 09:42 AM
Totoro
King of the Forest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A shop near me wants $2000 for an ultegra bike with 105 brakes. $2000 for a bike with 105 brakes?? That is just offensive.
Patience always pays off. If you live near a city, there should be lots of bike shops. My experience is that you can find deals that are just as good as the Internet if you shop around. And many shops have web sites, so you can check prices without leaving home.
Old 06-29-05, 09:43 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah - the thing is though the Motobecane is actually a really nice frame. Probably lighter than most 'dales and others..... If it ain't broke......

I actually thought about masking over the Motobecane and painting "Huffy" on the side......
Old 06-29-05, 09:50 AM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW (and this topic may have run its useful life), I vote for the LBS, in my case Performance Bike. They gave me a good deal on my Giant TCR Comp3, plus the Team Performance discount, plus pay whatever you want financing, plus lifetime maintenance, and the Giant has a lifetime warranty on the frame.
Old 06-29-05, 09:58 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
It's just fuzzy math.......I've been operating my business for many years based on fuzzy math.....
Old 06-29-05, 10:25 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Only thing wrong with Moto is Cycle Spectrum and Bikesdirect. The bikes themselves are very nice. Trust me, I wouldn't be dropping a grand plus in parts into my Vent Noir if it wasn't a damn nice bike.
Old 06-29-05, 10:31 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm trying to get over the irony of the mathematical error made by the originator of this thread, which he titled "Bikesdirect - Do the math".
Old 06-29-05, 11:07 AM
Totoro
King of the Forest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
I'm trying to get over the irony of the mathematical error made by the originator of this thread, which he titled "Bikesdirect - Do the math".
Great! Someone actually did the math. Now the correct answer is...$300. C'mon guys
Old 06-29-05, 08:00 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
was 795 is 395.... 7-3 is?

c'mon guys, yall can do better than that!!!!
Old 08-09-05, 12:01 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
What is the issue? Supporting a local business vs. a global conglomerate? Well, the $2000 bike at the LBS is also made by the same global conglomerates. I've looked at several bikes online and at the LBS. In general, the LBS is $500-$700 more expensive for what I'm looking for: an ultegra equipped aluminum frame with carbon seat stays. Where does that $700 go? The owner of my LBS has a nice house,a boat, and goes to France to watch the Tour de France, but he doesn't offer health insurance or a 401k to his employees. In fact, as a small business owner, he enjoys a number of subsidies and breaks from the local, state, and federal governments.
Communist!
Old 08-09-05, 12:24 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Yeah - the thing is though the Motobecane is actually a really nice frame. Probably lighter than most 'dales and others..... If it ain't broke.....
yeah, i thought it kind of funny that fmw is buying 'our' moto for the parts to put on a carbon frame... i guess there's more to the carbon than the weight loss that he likes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.