Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Trek Owners Beware! The Wahoo Kickr May Not Be for You!

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Trek Owners Beware! The Wahoo Kickr May Not Be for You!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 08:42 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Exclamation Trek Owners Beware! The Wahoo Kickr May Not Be for You!

I just sold my Wahoo Kickr v1 and intended to buy the latest v5 model to get the latest electronics and hopefully a better thru-axle fit for my 2020 Trek Domane SL7. I'm glad I did some research before hand...

Checking Bike Compatibility (yonyx.com)
Looks like I'm being forced to become a Saris convert. I guess that's OK as Saris is a Wisconsin brand and their H3 trainers are apparently made in Wisconsin (and so was I!)

I figured I'd post this as the "incompatible bike list" wasn't exactly easy to find. I'm glad I found the info before buying the trainer and possibly damaging my bike. My understanding is that Wahoo's thru axle adaptors can potentially damage the bike's drop-outs.
Old 11-23-20, 09:23 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Interesting and surprised. Mine is a 2019. I wonder what changed.
Old 11-23-20, 09:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
Possibly nothing.

I don't think the list excludes bikes not mentioned, and the accompanying text (and presumably video I did not look at) say you need to check.

It looks more like a liability transfer than a PSA.
Old 11-23-20, 09:35 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
Hmm... not sure what might've changed between the 2019 and 2020 Domanes... or maybe it's just that no one with a 2019 has complained to Wahoo yet.

A more detailed thread regarding an Trek/Wahoo issue, although with the Kickr Core. I think the issue in the following post is that the adaptor is "too fat" to slide into the channel in the frame that is used to guide the hub into place.
Wahoo Kickr Core incompatible with Trek Emonda 2021 - Equipment - TrainerRoad
Old 11-23-20, 11:11 AM
Fendertele

Thanks for the thread link. The pics illustrate the issue. I’ll check out my bike.
Old 11-23-20, 10:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
there does not appear to be any reason for Wahoo to have that shoulder so close to the dropout side. If I wasn't working on my lathe right now I could modify it in a few minutes.
Old 11-23-20, 10:54 PM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Any idea why they're supposedly incompatible? I have two 2021 Domanes (58cm and 54cm) at my house attached to KICKR v5 trainers, and everything works great.

EDIT: Never mind - I just saw the link upthread with the pictures. I just went back and checked our bikes, and while there's only a sliver of daylight between the KICKR's axle adapter and the carbon surrounding the axle hole with the axle torqued down, there *is* some daylight, and there's no marking or scuffing on the bikes' paint like you would expect if the axle adapter were digging into the frame.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 11-23-20 at 11:21 PM.
Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 11-24-20, 11:44 AM
Fendertele

Wahoo Support has responded to my request. No known issues with my 2019 Domane SL5.
Old 12-06-21, 08:32 AM
Biker ETH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2022 Trek Domane SL5 and Wahoo KickR V5

I just bought a new Trek Domane SL 5 and a new Wahoo KickR V5 and this is NOT comptabile.
This was confirmed by the Trek Store and by the Wahoo representative.
Currently in the Wahoo KickR V5 box is the 142/148 adapter. But then still it does not work.
For the new frames you need an additional plug (otherwise the bike is not stable on the KickR and is going to damage your frame).
The new plug is going to be in the box off factory only from summer 2022.
So I will get this additional plug soon, I was told last week.
Until then the advise is not to use the KickR
Likes For Biker ETH:
Old 12-06-21, 11:41 AM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker ETH
I just bought a new Trek Domane SL 5 and a new Wahoo KickR V5 and this is NOT comptabile.

This was confirmed by the Trek Store and by the Wahoo representative.

Currently in the Wahoo KickR V5 box is the 142/148 adapter. But then still it does not work.

For the new frames you need an additional plug (otherwise the bike is not stable on the KickR and is going to damage your frame).

The new plug is going to be in the box off factory only from summer 2022.

So I will get this additional plug soon, I was told last week.

Until then the advise is not to use the KickR

Yep, the issue is that the wider center section of the 142/148 adapter can hit the bodywork surrounding the axle hole before the end of the adapter can seat firmly against the hole. We have two Domane SL5s and two Kickr v5 trainers, and one bike had adequate clearance (but just a sliver), while the other bike's adapter did hit the bodywork a little bit. If you don't want to wait for the new part from Wahoo, you can take your 142/148 adapter to any machine shop and ask them to cut back the center section 2-3 mm to make more clearance between the center section and the bodywork. For reference, I asked our shop to cut the center section back to the horizontal crossbar in the "4" in "142", and that gives more than enough clearance on both our bikes. The shop charged me $25 to modify both adapters, and that's only because that was the minimum labor charge; it's probably only a three-minute job.

Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 12-07-21, 05:44 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
The only problem I know about with the Kickr (an older one) is that it only closes narrow enough to fit a 130 mm OLD frame. My 1984 Trek 610 has 126 mm OLD, and the lever clamp will not close enough to hold that frame. My Woodrup frame has been cold-set, and I may do that to my 1982 Trek 720, but we'll see. I also have an older Kurt which will clamp the 126's.
Old 12-07-21, 06:46 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
DCRainmaker had a post about this months back, and Wahoo had told him they were prepping new spacers for the affected Treks. I sent them a trouble ticket asking for a set back shortly after. Was told they clearly said the 2021 Domane was not a compatible bike. But they apparently kept my ticket alive. A couple months back, they sent me an email message asking for the shipping address to send the required adapters to. I did, and they sent them. I haven't tried them out, as I've had my old 1420 in the KICKR Core. But it appears they have solved this problem.

--Richard
Old 12-08-21, 10:40 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I've had somewhat of a similar issue with the Saris H3 and my Lynskey ti bike with thru axles. Saris includes the axle adapters, however they do not seat perfectly (though the width is fine). Not a problem unless I'm rocking out of the saddle pushing 300+ watts.. and then there's some axle play that I can't seem to get rid of regardless of how much I tighten down the thru axle.