Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who's still doing serious trainer work during summer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 11:42 AM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

ANyone else beside me still doing serious trainer work during the summer season? I'm currently doing 3 weekday bikes per week, of roughly 25, 40, and 30 miles distance (on average, it increases later in the season by a bit) all on the trainer in the early morning before it's even light out since that's the only time I can get it in. Seems to be helping - felt super solid on the last few 60-70 mile outdoor weekend rides, which were honestly easier for me than the midweek 40 miler on the trainer.

I've also discovered that Amazon Prime carries almost all the same TV show series that Netflix does -so you can ditch netflix if you've already got prime since so many shows overlap. Handy for some of those long trainer rides (that 40 miler is rough in the AM - I have to start at 4AM!)
Old 06-25-12, 11:48 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My wife is hitting the trainer 2-3 times a week. Not because she doesn't have time to ride outside, but because her interval workouts are best done on the trainer.
Old 06-25-12, 11:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I hiked to Colchuck Lake and back with a 60 pound pack yesterday. Does that count? I have guadzillas of steel, and crush boulders with my massive wattage.
Old 06-25-12, 11:57 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My wife is hitting the trainer 2-3 times a week. Not because she doesn't have time to ride outside, but because her interval workouts are best done on the trainer.
I too do all my intervals on the trainer, but weirdly, I'm doing no intervals for the next 6 weeks since I'm ramping up the weekly mileage first. There are some isolated hard pickups in there like 2 x 10 @ LT or a few pickups to simulate hills, but really nothing like 15 x 1on/off or other hard hammer intervals. No Sufferfest for me until later this season. (Then I'm going to hit those like no other; will probably do 2 in a row or something like that to get the mileage in.)
Old 06-25-12, 12:02 PM
aztimm

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know many people who switch to a trainer for the summer. Unless you get up early and ride, it is way too warm to get in a decent ride, especially if you do hills or interval training. Most triathletes I know have/use a trainer, especially in summer (they may run outside, then ride inside).

When I registered for el Tour de Tucson, they had a promo going... Register between certain dates, and you'd be entered into a contest to win a trainer. Since I was going to register anyway, this prodded me to do it.

Oh, and keep in mind that I live in the Phoenix area, where weather is a bit different than elsewhere in the country.
Old 06-25-12, 12:02 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It is now 100 here and will be more often than not for the next 2 months. I ride 8-12 miles in the morning before work and have cut back to 2 lunchtime rides during the work week. Too damn sweaty and gross to ride 4-5 days like I had been since we have no showers at work. I ride weekends.. if you start at 7, or at least 8, you can get done before it hits 100.

I would say I wouldn't be caught dead on a trainer, but I'm about to try out some aerobars that came off my sister in law's bike and I'll certainly need a trainer to get them setup.
Old 06-25-12, 12:03 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am.
Certanly not as fun as riding outside, but it's what my schedule permits.
I do what I can to go to our weekly hammer fest, that is usually harder than my interval routine (even the VO2 intervals feel sometimes easier than that ride), and unless I'm working during the weekends I do a longer ride; so at this point the trainer rides are either recovery rides, or endurance pace. Kind of works for me.

Last edited by Gluteus; 06-25-12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 12:10 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am in So Cal but am planning to move to Austin because the ecomomy sucks here and the cost of living is high. The one thing that I will miss is the weather. In the 70s in the winter and 80s during the summer. It is almost never too hot or too cold for a ride. There are occassionally 100 degree days but rare. Last summer we didn't have any.

But, before I can move I need to find a job in Austin. It is suppose to be 103 there today. After I move, I too will be on the trainer.
Old 06-25-12, 12:23 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
+1.
Old 06-25-12, 12:27 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am but only because I broke my clavicle, 4 ribs and punctured a lung on my moto a couple of weeks ago. I'm not quite ready to be back on the road yet...couple more weeks.
Pother than this set back, I never ride indoors in the summer. Too short not to be outside.
Old 06-25-12, 12:35 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
no, of course not.
Old 06-25-12, 12:58 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm doing weekday solo rides on the rollers. Mainly because if I get on the rollers, I can get a decent workout in over lunch.
Two group rides a week outdoors. The weather here in the summer is super windy and the corn is already 4ft high. Sucks for any consistent pace. (But great for intervals). Ride, stop/slow at intersection, sprint/ride, stop/slow at intersection, repeat.
Old 06-27-12, 12:08 AM
LeeRoySD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still doing a bit of trainer work. I broke my clavicle and had surgery 3-1/2 weeks ago and was on it exclusively for a couple of weeks. I am on the road 2-3 days a week for the majority of my mileage (usually 100-150 or so total). I really feel like a couple of days of hard intervals on the trainer in addition to the road miles/group rides really do seem to help my fitness. I see more gains faster with them than without them. I love being able to really go 100% all out on the trainer when doing vo2 max or threshold work without having to worry about traffic/lights/safety/having to ride home afterwards. Just give it all and collapse on the bars... use the little bucket if necessary.
Old 06-27-12, 08:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
ANyone else beside me still doing serious trainer work during the summer season? I'm currently doing 3 weekday bikes per week, of roughly 25, 40, and 30 miles distance (on average, it increases later in the season by a bit) all on the trainer in the early morning before it's even light out since that's the only time I can get it in.
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.c...;so=ASC;mh=25;

One of the dudes did 14 hours last week all on trainer - and lives within feet of the beach in Socal.

I'm confused.
Old 06-27-12, 09:09 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am - it's taken longer for my clavicle to fuse back together than I'd like. On the upside, I can thoroughly recommend trainerroad.com as the best way to make that drudgery interesting and of increased value.
Old 06-27-12, 09:09 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do 3-5 hrs on a trainer because it's too hot to ride when the sun is up, and I watch the kids at night (wife works evenings)... therefore, I ride the trainer and watch movies... no intervals here... Doc said no. (as if he knows anything anyway...)...but I'm too afraid to go against his advice.
Old 06-27-12, 09:18 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm confused.
+1
Old 06-27-12, 09:21 AM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the trainer... weekdays, the only time I can ride is after the baby goes to bed at 8pm.
Old 06-27-12, 09:29 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Me... it's too hot after work, I'm doing intervals, I can ride later at night, etc.
Old 06-27-12, 09:41 AM
ibikestickers

Bikes: 2010 Caad 9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'd rather do a shorter ride in the heat than a longer one on a trainer. There may not be an exact carryover in terms of fitness benefit, but there is a huge benefit to being outside. I hate the trainer.
Old 06-27-12, 09:56 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing my weekday intervals on the trainer, mostly at night. Just works out that way with my work/family schedule.