Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genesis Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Genesis Folding Bike

Old 06-23-14, 09:34 AM
badrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atombikes

+1! You will have to post your world touring pix of your Genesis soon!
Old 06-23-14, 06:20 PM
PhotoBiker1968
Please Insert Title Here

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For padding, go back to WalMart and buy some cheap throw covers (the foam like kind) and/or some cheap bath towels.

Pipe insulation could work too, but I'm not sure if Wallyworld sells that.

Edit: if your Walmart has a sewing section, look for the foam sheets, they come in 1", 1.5", 2", etc thicknesses (my daughter is well versed in sewing), you can cut them down to size and would be perfect.

Last edited by PhotoBiker1968; 06-23-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 01:00 AM
marxmini

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike friday has a comprehensive video on packing their bikes in a suitcase. Pocket Bike Packing Instructions - YouTube
Old 06-25-14, 07:03 PM
EarlVanDorn

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would really like to see you pack this bike in a larger suitcase, to see if it could be done without as much disassembly. Say a 30x21x11 or 30x20x12 polycarbinate, which would put you right at 62 linear inches.

The thing these folding bike manufacturers don't seem to understand is that many of us are not avid bikers, but we still want a low-cost folding bike that we can fold and put in a standard suitcase that we can buy on sale for $50, not some fancy $450 bike case. Don't care whether the wheels are 14, 16, 18, or 20 inches as long as I can get it in a suitcase easily.
Old 06-25-14, 09:29 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn
I would really like to see you pack this bike in a larger suitcase, to see if it could be done without as much disassembly. Say a 30x21x11 or 30x20x12 polycarbinate, which would put you right at 62 linear inches.

The thing these folding bike manufacturers don't seem to understand is that many of us are not avid bikers, but we still want a low-cost folding bike that we can fold and put in a standard suitcase that we can buy on sale for $50, not some fancy $450 bike case. Don't care whether the wheels are 14, 16, 18, or 20 inches as long as I can get it in a suitcase easily.
One thing I found while looking for an older, cheap suitcase on craigslist is that the majority of the available suitcases hover around 26", not 29" or 30". Seems like when those very large suitcases are for sale, the sellers really want top dollar for them. My logic behind buying an older, used suitcase is the old "they don't build them like they used to" mentality. Not sure if it really translates to suitcases, but it does seem to me that this older Samsonite case is fairly rugged. I don't think I could get this Genesis into a 30" case without removing the wheels, because the distance from the main frame hinge back to the tip of the rear tire is 32". Might be able to angle it in but I doubt it.

I think 20" wheels means removing the wheels.
Old 07-07-14, 08:35 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got some tasty new/used parts which I will be adding within the next week.

20" Racktime Foldit rack. Just ordered so don't even have this item yet, but I'm excited for it's arrival:

I'm fairly certain the Dahon and Tern rear racks would also fit this frame, but I decided on the Foldit rack instead. I read it's manufactured by Tubus. Seems this rack will be easier to remove from the bike and fold flat to pack into a suitcase (if that's even necessary).

Gyes ST15 leather seat and a set of 20 X 1.35 Primo Comet tires.

Vintage Suntour friction thumb shifters

Shimano Alivio rear derailleur

Wellgo platform pedals

Koolstop Mountain Pads

Now onto the question:

The "derailleur tube" on this bike is approx. 41mm (I measure roughly 1.615" using calipers), so would a clamp-on front derailleur hanger for the Dahon MU (like the Litepro that ThorUSA sells) work on this bike? I think it will. If it will work, I will probably add a compact double to this bike.

Last edited by atombikes; 07-07-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 09:27 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

all in except wheels

Impressive! Very impressive.
Old 07-07-14, 09:30 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the Racktime Foldit rack on a Dahon Mu

Old 07-08-14, 07:50 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got the Primo Comets and brake pads installed this evening. Pictures to follow once I get everything swapped out.

Also, I found this imitation of a LitePro P-series front derailleur adapter on ebay. I contacted the seller and they claim it is 41mm ID, which is the diameter of the "derailleur tube" on my folding bike (same tube size as Dahon Mu, I believe). I just ordered one. ThorUSA lists their LitePro adapter as out of stock. But I like the fact that this generic one is not hinged, but rather has two mount bolts. I think this will allow a little more wiggle room for mounting (and filing if required)....

Aluminium Alloy Braze on Front Derailleur Clamp Adapter for Folding Bike | eBay

Hopefully it will work out; this will enable me to upgrade to 12 speed! :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by atombikes; 07-08-14 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 06:09 AM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Parts are slowly making their way onto the bike:

These Suntour Power Ratchet shifters work beautifully. I placed the left side shifter in anticipation of adding a front derailleur.

I used the bike's rear reflector mount (with correct 43.9mm diameter) to mount the Planet Bike Superflash mount. Worked perfectly. The zip tie around the flasher is a trick I use to prevent the cover from popping off the flasher (as they are prone to do).

Last edited by atombikes; 07-10-14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 06:18 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
5 mile shakedown today at the local trail. Front brakes a little grabby, even though I thought I had them adjusted fairly well. Shifter does just as it should, but I noticed that the shifting was a little off, like the rear derailleur was searching between adjacent cogs. My fault, I didn't replace the derailleur because even though my travel tools has a chain breaker, I don't have a removable link for the KMC chain. So will have to buy one of those, and while I'm at it, I'm gonna get a couple cable sheath stops so I can shorten both brake cables. They're wayyyy too long.

The 100psi Primo Comets roll forever it seems.

I haven't added everything up yet, but I think I currently have around $340 into this bike. Of course, I did add some stuff from my parts bin that didn't cost anything, like the shifters. They came off a bike I pulled from the trash.

Oh, and that Gyes saddle tore my butt up! Going to have to get used to that for awhile, I guess.

Last edited by atombikes; 07-10-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-11-14, 02:03 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent work, bike looks great. Before you shorten the cables make sure you are happy that the bike will still fold. Cables on some folding bikes have to be longer to give some slack when folding the bike.
Have you considered some quick release pedals such as Wellgo QRD or MKS EZY? That would make packing into the case a bit quicker.
Old 07-11-14, 06:36 AM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpg
Excellent work, bike looks great. Before you shorten the cables make sure you are happy that the bike will still fold. Cables on some folding bikes have to be longer to give some slack when folding the bike.
Have you considered some quick release pedals such as Wellgo QRD or MKS EZY? That would make packing into the case a bit quicker.
Thanks for the pointers to those pedals. I will look into it. The bike came with unbranded plastic folding pedals, but they're not currently mounted since I won't be doing a suitcase fold for another two months or so. The bike folds fine with the derailleur cable length so I ASSUMED it would be Ok To shorten the other cables to that length; but thanks for making me re - think that before I cut cables.
Old 07-11-14, 01:53 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Excellent work. I bet it flies now,...
Old 07-15-14, 10:28 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
atombike,
Is the Racktime Foldit one size fits all?
Old 07-15-14, 06:22 PM
Robin Hood

Bikes: 6 (3 electric, 3 folders)+ 1 3hub-geared hybrid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is quite a handsome bike; I really like the curve of the frame. Wonder if it'll come to the UK? Our big supermarket chain Asda is a wholly owned division of Walmart. I'll keep a look out to see if it ever appears, but it would really need mudguards for it to sell over here.

Last edited by Robin Hood; 07-15-14 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 06:37 PM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
how much does that bike weigh now? seems like you lightened up quite a bit of parts.
Old 07-15-14, 06:47 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeKraft
atombike,
Is the Racktime Foldit one size fits all?
You have to be careful with the Racktime Foldit Rack. There are different sizes, and different versions of each size. For instance, the "Racktime Foldit Fix 20" should be a fixed 20" version (non-folding) while the version without "fix" in the name would mean the folding, bolt-together version. I ordered the fix version. This rack is specifically meant for a 20" bike. It's rock solid, installation was super easy, and it's a really well made assy. Features a built-in pump holder and rear light bracket. Also features the "Snapit" method of bag attachments. A little hard to find in the states, but worth the search.

This is the version that I bought, and I got it from this company. They quickly shipped fedex. You have to select the 20" option. I did not have to order any of the seatstay adapters; the ones that shipped with the rack are solid aluminum, and I had to remove approx. 4-5" from the length. They provide rubber caps to fit over the cut end, and all hardware required to mount.

https://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-...ck-p-1611.html

Here are a couple pics.

Last edited by atombikes; 07-15-14 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-15-14, 06:54 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
This is quite a handsome bike; I really like the curve of the frame. Wonder if it'll come to the UK? Our big supermarket chain Asda is a wholly owned division of Walmart. I'll keep a look out to see if it ever appears, but it would really need mudguards for it to sell over here.
I hope Genesis sells some of these; as I posted earlier Walmart actually dropped the price by $20 US since I had purchased mine, but I still feel I got a really good deal. Hope they do introduce them in Europe. I thought early in this thread a guy from (maybe?) France said that this bike resembles a bike currently sold in Europe (complete with rack and mudguards).

I favor SKS mudguards and will probably add them later.

Originally Posted by Azreal911
how much does that bike weigh now? seems like you lightened up quite a bit of parts.
You know, I'm not sure since I'm basically a hotel dweller for the extended future due to my work (no scale). I did remove a little weight, but I suppose I also added some back (the rack).

Next up is the crankset....swapping the stock Lasco for a Shimano FC 2350 50/34 compact double.
Old 07-15-14, 07:10 PM
Robin Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the bike weighs 28lbs (per walmart website)
I clicked 'Full Spec' on the website but it didn't even show the weight. I'm talking about these specs...
  • Compact foldable frame designed with elegant clean lines offers amazing mobility in a quick space saving package. Folded Dimensions are 29" x 26" x 15"
  • Built of Lightweight Aluminum, it's one of the lightest in its class
  • Adjustable seat & handlebars for a comfortable fit
  • Shimano Rear Derailleur operated by 6 Speed Shimano Revo Shifters enables you to easily adapt to every terrain
  • Front and rear alloy V-Brakes for powerful and reliable braking
  • Alloy rims and hubs for additional weight savings
  • 20" x 1.75 all-purpose tires offer a smooth ride and improved steering response
  • Perfect for college students and apartment living!

Excellent pics BTW.
Old 07-15-14, 07:20 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I clicked 'Full Spec' on the website but it didn't even show the weight.

Excellent pics BTW.
Go to this main link and in the "Item Description" it says the following (link below but copying here anyway):

20" Genesis City Cruiser Unisex Folding Bike, Green:

The 20" Kids Bike has a compact foldable frame designed with elegant clean lines offers amazing mobility in a quick space-saving package
20" Kids Bike folded dimensions are 29"L x 26"W x 15"H
Cruiser bike
Frame size: 11"
Frame material: lightweight aluminum
6 speeds
Shimano rear derailleur
Front and rear alloy V-brakes for powerful and reliable braking
Tires: 20" x 1.75" all-purpose tires with white stripe
Alloy rims and hubs
Adjustable handlebars and seat
Padded comfort seat with rear bumper guard
Pedals: plastic
Weight: 28 lbs
Maximum weight capacity: 250 lbs
Some assembly required
kids green bike dimensions: 58"L x 26"W x 15"H

20" Genesis, City Cruiser, Folding Bike, Green - Walmart.com
Old 07-15-14, 11:07 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
This bike has turned out to be a fantastic work in progress. I luv it. I'm even considering getting the rack you purchased for my Xootr Swift. I like a solid, heavy duty rack more than a carry bag behind my butt. I tend to carry greater than a 25lb payload.
Old 07-16-14, 10:05 AM
Robin Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Kids Bike'
Is the seat post really that short?
I'm surprised it weighs 2 stone. That's only 2lbs lighter than my own folder which has a steel frame, rack and mudguards (which aren't plastic or aluminium). I wouldn't have thought that my 16" wheels and single gearing would have offset the heavier spec that much. Still, I'm very much a beginner in the ins and outs of bicycle design and I'm keen to learn.
Old 07-16-14, 10:14 AM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the seat post really that short?
I'm surprised it weighs 2 stone. That's only 2lbs lighter than my own folder which has a steel frame, rack and mudguards (which aren't plastic or aluminium). I wouldn't have thought that my 16" wheels and single gearing would have offset the heavier spec that much. Still, I'm very much a beginner in the ins and outs of bicycle design and I'm keen to learn.
Walmart doesn't appear to be interested in getting specs exactly correct, so I don't place a high confidence on their weight and folded dimensions listed. Regarding weight, I look at the listed value as a "max" or "does not exceed" value, but I wouldn't be surprised if the stock bike doesn't weigh less.

I think when comparing bike weights we should look to a comparably sized bike as a benchmark. For instance, for this Genesis folder, I look to the Dahon Mu (which this design is copied from). The Mu P8 is listed as 27.1 lbs on their website. So the Genesis bike is comparable. Not sure if the Dahon weight includes fenders and rack, though?

https://dahon.com/mainnav/folding-bik...e/mu_p8-1.html

Last edited by atombikes; 07-16-14 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 11:11 AM
Robin Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart doesn't appear to be interested in getting specs exactly correct, so I don't place a high confidence on their weight and folded dimensions listed.
I'm not sure since I'm basically a hotel dweller for the extended future due to my work (no scale).
Don't any of your hotels have bathroom scales?

Originally Posted by cpg
Before you shorten the cables make sure you are happy that the bike will still fold. Cables on some folding bikes have to be longer to give some slack when folding the bike.
I'm sure atombikes will be grateful for that epiphany, cpg

Last edited by Robin Hood; 07-16-14 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Whoops, just realized that 'bathroom scale' probably means something pretty disgusting to an American :)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.