Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Gnutti Cycle Components

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Gnutti Cycle Components

Old 09-10-19, 10:00 AM
PeterLYoung 

Location: Southport, North Carolina, USA & Pevensey, East Sussex, UK

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)2012 Trek Fuel EX7. 4)1974 Colnago Super, 5)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 6)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 7)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 8)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 9)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 10)1948 Humber Clubman.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gnutti Cycle Components

Not much seems to be written about Gnutti Cycle Components, here is an extract from 'Classic Lightweights' written by Steve Warn:-

Gnutti Components

Author:- Steve Warne

Not much appears to be written about Gnutti Italian components but since many British lightweight cycle makers used their products extensively I feel that they are worthy of some study.

Carlo Gnutti established his business in 1920 manufacturing parts for agricultural machines from a factory (presumably in the same location that Gnutti are established today) in Maclodio near Brescia, Italy. During WW2 they were concerned with armament production. The manufacture of bicycle components commenced at some point after the war and continued until the early 1960’s. Today, Gnutti Carlo S P A are an engineering multinational company with manufacturing facilities in Italy, USA, India and even here in the UK.
The range of bicycle components comprised chain sets, hubs (and q/r skewers), bottom brackets and head sets. The earliest advertisement that I have seen for Gnutti components is from October 1949.
A number of lightweight cycle makers quickly adopted Gnutti components, including Claud Butler and Holdsworth. It would seem that these parts tended to be used on higher end machines, presumably due to cost. In the 1951 Claud Butler catalogue the most expensive machine (Massed Start Model) had a Gnutti Decagon head set, a Gnutti hollow bottom bracket and a Gnutti chain set. F H Grubb used Gnutti chain sets on his top of the range ‘Perfection’ model in 1949.

Go to:- Gnutti Warne Components to read more.

Old 09-10-19, 10:07 AM
PeterLYoung 

Location: Southport, North Carolina, USA & Pevensey, East Sussex, UK

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)2012 Trek Fuel EX7. 4)1974 Colnago Super, 5)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 6)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 7)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 8)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 9)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 10)1948 Humber Clubman.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gnutti High Flange Hubs

Acquired a set of NOS Gnutti hubs. Think they are 1960’s as they stopped making them around that time and they have the last design on the QR Levers.
I would say not as good as Campy but interesting all the same. These have never been laced. I have dismantled checked, cleaned and repacked and adjusted bearings. Cups and cones showed no signs of use, ie: no tracks. Now to decide what wheels to build.