Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes that bad?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 03:48 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

So I've ordered a fat bike that has Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes fitted to it. The bike hasn't arrived yet and I got quite a good deal on it. Researching all of the bike's components online, I found almost completely negative reviews and feedback on Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes.

They seem to be the bottom of the range when it comes to mechanical disc brakes. Are they really that bad?

I really want the bike anyway and I'm sure that the brakes can be upgraded. I was, however, surprised by how unliked they are!

Last edited by taz777; 11-11-17 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 04:40 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Not unliked from where I sit!

I have a 2011 Trek 3900 thusly equipped and have had no trouble over six years of riding. Initially, it took some time to dial in the adjustments (bike was bought used/abused) and straighten the rotors, but since then they've served me well and stop reliably and quickly. I have a second wheelset for the same bike and deliberately sought original Tektro rotors for it. I have a replacement set of O.E. pads on the bench, too, but haven't needed them yet.

I'm really a big fan of the K.I.S.S. theory, and Novellas are certainly simple! I have no plans on upgrading, as these have worked really well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bogey upgrade 2.JPG (399.7 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by North Coast Joe; 11-11-17 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 05:04 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 119 Posts
I wore out a pair in around 16 months/7,000 miles.

The adjustment screws are fairly coarse and over time they stop holding their position so the pads move in or out randomly. The arms are also fairly flexy so overall braking power is much less than other more well designed calipers. When I had limited experience with other calipers they seemed like they worked ok and I rarely had issues once everything was bedded in. I rode them for gravel and mtb racing, quite a bit of mud and grit. Once I started riding Spyres on my daily bike and hydros on my mtb the deficiencies in the Novelas became really obvious but it was their inability to hold adjustment that finally caused me to ditch them and upgrade to much better calipers.

Even the lowly Sora calipers are a massive improvment over the Novelas.
Old 11-11-17, 05:39 AM
taz777

Okay so mixed reviews so far. I presume if I didn't like them then I could get some better direct replacements? I'm used to hydraulic brakes and this will be my first experience of mechanical disc brakes. It'll be a Winter bike that will be abused somewhat.

PS: @North Coast Joe: that is a beautiful bike you have!
Old 11-11-17, 07:01 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Use them until they break; buy BB7's.
Old 11-11-17, 07:04 AM
North Coast Joe

I can certainly appreciate the poor reviews with the rigors of gravel/mud/downhill/racing usage.

As you can see, the bike I have them mounted on is a foul weather commuter intended for road usage. As well, the bike is constantly maintained and pampered, though after the initial adjustments, the brakes have required little attention. It does see salt in the Winter, but no extreme off road conditions. Many components have been upgraded, and the Tektros will probably go that way should they fail in the future. for the foreseeable future they're fine.

Beating one through the brush may require a heavier component.

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 11-11-17, 08:00 AM
buffalo4life

Bikes: 86 Trek 330 fixie, 2011 Trek 1.1, POS mb

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My Tektro feel significantly worse than my BB5s, which feel much worse than my hydraulic TRPs. Tektro will stop your bike though.
Old 11-11-17, 11:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 1,859 Posts
North Coast Joe wins the award for most excellent cycling luggage.
Old 11-11-17, 12:35 PM
taz777

Are brakes like BB5 / BB7 a simple drop-in replacement for the Novela brakes? I have the opportunity to do a low-level upgrade before I start riding the bike over Winter.

The cables on the fat bike are internally routed so I don't really want to go through a lot of hassle replacing cables and levers.
Old 11-11-17, 12:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
The bike hasn't arrived yet and I got quite a good deal on it.
Pre Worry... It was part of making the bike selling price what you were willing to pay.

the after market replacement pad set often is an improvement over the stock pads the manufacturer uses.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-12-17 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 01:34 PM
davidallenxyz

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe

I have a 2011 Trek 3900 thusly equipped and have had no trouble over six years of riding. Initially, it took some time to dial in the adjustments (bike was bought used/abused) and straighten the rotors, but since then they've served me well and stop reliably and quickly. I have a second wheelset for the same bike and deliberately sought original Tektro rotors for it. I have a replacement set of O.E. pads on the bench, too, but haven't needed them yet.

I'm really a big fan of the K.I.S.S. theory, and Novellas are certainly simple! I have no plans on upgrading, as these have worked really well!
Originally Posted by Maelochs
North Coast Joe wins the award for most excellent cycling luggage.
Absolutely - what bags are they?
Old 11-11-17, 02:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 4,084 Times in 2,722 Posts
TRP makes good mechanical disc brakes but Tektro missed the mark with the Novellas. I would rather have decent V-Brakes than cheap disc brakes and you can get decent V-brakes pretty cheap like the Deore T610. Maybe if you have great levers and better pads and rotors the Tektros might turn out better but most of the bikes equipped with those use cheaper parts.
Old 11-11-17, 02:43 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Are brakes like BB5 / BB7 a simple drop-in replacement for the Novela brakes? I have the opportunity to do a low-level upgrade before I start riding the bike over Winter.

The cables on the fat bike are internally routed so I don't really want to go through a lot of hassle replacing cables and levers.
Yes, BB7 calipers are drop in replacement, if the cable ends aren't frayed and you're careful you can use the original cables/housing.

I order BB7 take-offs from Asia in bags, just the calipers. Last set was ~$80 shipped, took ~10 days. The Tektro levels are perfectly functional and if you decide you want to upgrade it can be done separately.

Here's the essential BB7 set-up video:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...58&action=view
Old 11-11-17, 03:02 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Just try and see. You already ordered the bike, so why ask now?
And if you don't like them, get hydraulic brakes. Adding BB7 or other "better" mechanical brakes is a waste of money and time IMHO. No matter how much better those are, they never overcome the inherent disadvantages of cable brakes. You can get shimano Deore brakes for $50.

While you are at it, get a 180 mm rotor for the front and keep the rear 160mm. This give you much more stopping power and a good front bias.
Old 11-11-17, 03:11 PM
North Coast Joe

Originally Posted by davidallenxyz
Absolutely - what bags are they?
The back bags are Weaver saddle bags, and the front are custom horn bags, both from the equine industry. Both had to be modified by cutting and re-sewing the center section to fit the racks. Both are secure, but removable in seconds. Thanks for the compliments!
Old 11-12-17, 10:38 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
One would assume they are better than 2010 BB7's, the last mechanicals I used (until I saw the light on hydraulics). But I cannot make that statement myself.
Old 11-12-17, 09:39 PM
taz777

Obviously I’ll see how they are when I get eventually get the bike. However, I’m still planning an upgrade if they are not good. I’m used to powerful hydraulic brakes on nearly all of the bikes I’ve had.

If I do need to upgrade then I’ll probably got for a Shimano Deore hydraulics.

One issue I can foresee is that I’ll have internal cabling on the fat bike so that may make thinks more tricky for me to the point that I would need to get a bike shop to install them for me if I buy the parts.
Old 11-13-17, 05:57 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Obviously I’ll see how they are when I get eventually get the bike. However, I’m still planning an upgrade if they are not good. I’m used to powerful hydraulic brakes on nearly all of the bikes I’ve had.
If accustomed to hydros, then the Novellas will probably leave you wanting for more. Try them and see though. Because there's nothing to lose by giving them a chance, and you might find them satisfactory to get you through the first winter so that you can spend on some nice hydros in the spring.

BB7s would be my choices for a drop-in upgrade. Much larger pads on those. Avoid BB5s. You want the larger pads and better adjustability on the BB7s -- if you go that route.
Old 01-18-18, 04:18 PM
tablatom

Bikes: Boardman Team Hybrid, Boardman Team CX, Voodoo Bizango, Pinnacle Lithium 4

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe

Great looking bike,
i'm currently restoring a 2014 Pinnacle Lithium 3,
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle...-bike-EV192292
mines black with mudguards, 40c tyres with Tektro brakes, so looks quite similar.
The Tektro's are working very well.