Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Busted! N+1 discovered by wife...how to placate?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Busted! N+1 discovered by wife...how to placate?

Old 04-19-17, 07:55 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Yep, not cool what you did. Next step a mistress? So why not get her a chippingdale to make her happy? That way you both have something nice to ride!
Old 04-19-17, 07:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I guess this went away from being lighthearted in a hurry
Thank you for breathing some sanity back into this!
Old 04-19-17, 07:59 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Ask her if she's prefer you to be riding something new with 2 legs or 2 wheels (make sure all the rifles are in the safe prior to this tactic).

I'm, of course, not being serious (nor original). Jay Leno says something along these lines about his car collection, that his wife agrees to 4 wheels but nothing with 2 legs.

In all seriousness. I allow myself so much money to be tied up in hobbies. I always agree to sale something before buying something else, I've owned 50+ guns or 20+ motorcycles/ATV's at one time. How much I make is known as well as how much goes into the bank, what I can buy with what's agreed for me to keep is never an issue. I've always worked some on the side which provides all of my hobby funds plus other luxuries for the family.
Old 04-19-17, 08:09 PM
10speedBill

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Redline Disc R, 1982 Colnage Superissimo, Specialized M2 Stumpjumper, Trek Elance, 1984 Trek 610

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ferrari, the nicer than yours bike, and two weeks is Hawaii.

Basically you're toast.
Old 04-19-17, 08:10 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
When I'd get upset with my (now ex) husband for buying "expensive toys" (or whatever), it was, usually, only because he didn't talk with me about it first. He would just buy it - no conversation with me, no letting me know in advance, nothing. Had he just brought it up and spoken to me about it/what he wanted, I wouldn't of minded...of course as long as we could still take care of every thing else.

Being open & honest to, and communicating with, goes a long way. I wouldn't buy her something because she's upset you bought yourself something...But I think you know that already lol
Old 04-19-17, 08:12 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Thank you for breathing some sanity back into this!
My OP was meant to be slightly tongue-in-cheek, but it does raise a serious question (apart from the imperfections of my married life), on how we juggle our interest / passion for cycling and bikes with a non-cycling partner or family.

I envy those who ride with their partner or family, or who have families that will support both the expense and time commitment that cycling can entail. I constantly have to have to juggle my hobby time with other group activities (such as watching TV) that I enjoy less. Spending time with family, and pulling one's weight with housework and chores is important, but it would be great if I were given permission for more "me time" without it being given grudgingly.

My wife's best argument is: "if you want more exercise, why don't you weed the garden / clean the house / tidy the yard etc.". Exercise for "fun" is just wasted if there are physical tasks that need doing!

I'll work it out, hopefully, but I'd be really interested in understanding how other people manage this situation.
Old 04-19-17, 08:14 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
Yes, you are of course both right that deception (or at least a lack of openness) is not a good thing in a relationship, but I find my wife's lack of support for my passions to be a bit of a downer, frankly. I am happy to support to her interests, be they travel, gardening (which I am not very interested in) and have no issue at all with the amount of fashion items she buys.

The risk of being completely open with all purchases is if your partner is just dead against it for no other reason than they don't see it as necessary - then one will just resent the veto, and will regret having asked for permission. I should add that we both work, have good salaries, and I buy my stuff with my own earnings, not some joint savings account or remortgaging the house.

My attitude is "is you want it, and we're not breaking the bank", then go for it. Life is short, and unnecessarily denying yourself pleasures doesn't win you any prizes when your race is run.

But on the other hand maybe just being completely open would avoid the bad feeling that hiding new toys seems to cause when they are inevitably discovered. If I'd said "I want to buy another bike for exercise, and keep the other for commuting", then at least I could put forward my arguments in advance, as opposed to having to defend my decisions after the fact.

So I guess I'll just have to say sorry and make some act of contrition.

Who would have thought that bikeforums.net also has a relationship-guidance forum too :-)

John
Your points are very valid, and great stuff to discuss with your wife. She does not need to understand, and she should be supportive. But, those are achieved via open discussions and making sure you are on the same page regarding the finances. It took my wife and I about 10 years to work through these same issues, but we did. 😀
Old 04-19-17, 08:24 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Bmach
Next step a mistress?
That's a great idea.

Then he can tell the wife he is with the mistress, and tell the mistress he is with the wife, so he can go for a bike ride.
Old 04-19-17, 08:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I just can't resist meddling; I think what your relationship really needs right now is a tandem.
Old 04-19-17, 08:33 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Although my wife has a PhD (immunology/virology) from one of the best institutions in the UK, for some reason she doesn't fully grasp the distinction between tires (tyres) and wheels.

I ruthlessly exploited this to get a second wheelset.
good thing you didn't have to teach her English . . . .
Old 04-19-17, 08:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Sounds like you have some good relationship issues to work on. you should be able to buy n plus 1 (assuming family funds allow) but not behind your wife's back. you guys should hash this out.

I don't have a problem with N plus 1 but I ride vintage bikes mainly and more or less break even on them (less lately)
Old 04-19-17, 08:40 PM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
New vacuum cleaner for her.
I did that. Worked well. Its one of them Dyson V6 Animal battery powered vacuums. Thing is she has a cleaning fetish and appreciated my understanding that an expensive vacuum trumps the generic brands. I applied that same logic to some new PC components that were of equal value and it didn't sink in. That's when I looked at the vacuum and said "it's charged hun, you should try it out" and proceeded to leave the house for a beer.
Old 04-19-17, 08:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I'll work it out, hopefully, but I'd be really interested in understanding how other people manage this situation.
What I did was suffer for a long time, while my wife and I figured out how to get along. I never lied, and I rarely pulled out the "We disagree---and I am doing what I want anyway" card because you can only play that card so many times before it hurts more than it helps.

People who talk about marriage taking work are right. And frankly, all that matters is that the two people are alright with however it works.

Some people cheat and lie and steal from their partners, and get the same in return ... that's just how they do it. I think it is sick, but if it works for them ...

I decided I wasn't going to settle for a crap marriage which was two people competing while cohabiting. I decided to build a team and share everything. That way I would have a friend and partner to have my back when things went really wrong, instead of needing to watch my back when the rest of the world was in my face.

It took a lot of work, and I had to change a lot, and so did my wife ... but we changed by being better people and better partners, not by pandering to each other superficially.

It took time, and it took energy, and it hurt a lot. The results were absolutely worth it. Once things start getting good they just keep getting better.

As for specifics ... tell her that you need to get out on the bike to retain your sanity, to get re-centered, to clear the crap out of your head ... because if the stress builds up, there is a chance it will poison the relationship with your wife and kids---not in a threatening way, but being stressed and being a good husband and parent are at odds because both those things are themselves potential stress generators.

And at least with my wife, I also had to explain to her that I had limited time and less care about some stuff--yardwork and gardening in particular--and to some degree it was her thing ... like cycling is my thing--and she couldn't dragoon me into doing it any more than I could demand that she go riding with me.

I have to do basic yardwork because we co-own the home and it is my yard too. I will put Some time into making the yard "pretty" but not much. If she thinks its matters, she is welcome to do it, and I will help a little just to be nice---but I don't expect her to do my things and she cannot expect me to do her things.

I planted flowers and shrubs, she wouldn't care for them, they died ... I won't plant any more. I explained to her that I didn't marry a maid or a cook, and she didn't marry a gardener. We can work out the household chores we each do with less distress ... and naturally I do the heavy lifting--but anything over and above household maintenance is personal desire.

She can't say "I am planting flowers for the house, therefore it is for you too and you have to do it." She is planting flowers for the house like I am buying a new bike for her.

Lots of stress over all that. But ... the better we learned to communicate, the easier it was to work out our issues.

Not saying you should do it any certain way ... and I am sure your relationship is a lot deeper and broader than the comic scenario you limned.

But yeah ... If I am going to be serious, I say, truth is Absolutely key ... never lie. Compassion and tolerance are essential also. From Both sides.

And when nothing else works ... i go for a long bike ride.

Last edited by Maelochs; 04-19-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 08:55 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Trying to get him killed?
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe throw in a frying pan as well.
Old 04-19-17, 09:09 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
My OP was meant to be slightly tongue-in-cheek, but it does raise a serious question (apart from the imperfections of my married life), on how we juggle our interest / passion for cycling and bikes with a non-cycling partner or family.
I knew a guy - cameras were his thing, always wanted the latest greatest. And his wife liked antiques. So whenever he'd get a new camera or lens she'd get a comparable antiquing adventure. Worked out nicely. Of course they could afford it.
Old 04-19-17, 09:11 PM
GSJon

Bikes: Specialized Crux Expert Evo, Felt DA, Surly Crosscheck, Divvy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's your kitchen? could it be redone somewhat? What about the baths? New linen in the bedroom?

What I have mentioned are "communal" items but she may just like to have new cabinets in the kitchen or softer sheets for the bed (btw 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets are expensive and soft enough to melt into).

Sound like your wife likes gardening. Does she have a potting shed or area dedicated for her?

-Jon
Old 04-19-17, 09:23 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Don't hide, but don't ask permission either. Just flatly say you're thinking about getting one for bla purpose, but you don't know yet.

One tactic... Ask if she likes the blue one or the red one. then when it shows up, its like "hey, you picked it out".

Oh, and I find one intensive hobby is about all I can keep up with the care and feeding for at one time. So I'm spending on bikes and training and racing... but not photography gear, motorcycle racing, cars, etc.

I won't ask what you make and save, but for myself... I find that my saving and investing goals, while "met", are never really met so long as I still have to work to pay the bills. So frivolous crap, like bicycles and racing, has to fit in some box in terms of spending.

Even now there's an investment I want to buy but I'm like x% short on cash. So now the money I spent building up my race bike, team kit, kickr and bla bla bla... I kinda wish I had it liquid because where I was flush with cash in Feb, I suddenly find I'll be pinching pennies for a while if I make this investment.

But to your point, if you have separate budgets, just tell her that you bought it because you could without sweating it, and you didn't tell her because you love her too much to fight about little stuff that doesn't really matter.

Last edited by nycphotography; 04-19-17 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 09:25 PM
Humpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Go get yourself a nice mountain bike.
Old 04-19-17, 09:47 PM
Larry77

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Focus Izalco, Focus Mares CX, BMC GF02, Giant VT3 MTB (upgraded), Felt Brougham SS

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, some of you guys really raked him over the coals. I laughed at his post because I've been in similar situations. I even showed my wife and she laughed at his post. My wife and I both have purchased items that the other didn't know about and then said stuff like, "What, this old thing?" We are fully committed to each other and give each other enough room to hang ourselves once in awhile. I have never purchased something that would break the bank and she hasn't either but we do indulge in a undiscussed purchase now and again. We've been married very happily for more than 17 years and she likes that I enjoy cycling so much and that I have a very healthy pastime. Her biggest worry is that I get hit by a car again and get more seriously hurt than last time, rather than how much I spend on my now 6 bike deep passion of cycling.

For advice, I would just try to help your wife understand why you really wanted it and that you are very sorry for doing it behind her back and agree to talk to her about it next time. We give my cycling a budget and set aside money each month (just like her yoga). At times I go over my budget and have to explain but she knows that I am not trying to hurt her or break our family by spending money. You guys acted like he spent his mortgage on a bike, hid it from his wife, and caused them to be thrown out on the streets. Lighten up!
Old 04-19-17, 09:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by king_boru
I did that. Worked well. Its one of them Dyson V6 Animal battery powered vacuums. Thing is she has a cleaning fetish and appreciated my understanding that an expensive vacuum trumps the generic brands. I applied that same logic to some new PC components that were of equal value and it didn't sink in. That's when I looked at the vacuum and said "it's charged hun, you should try it out" and proceeded to leave the house for a beer.
We killed three of those in a row. I had a Dyson graveyard in the garage. Dyson is to vacuums what Bose is to audio.
Old 04-19-17, 09:59 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just can't resist meddling; I think what your relationship really needs right now is a tandem.
If the rear seat comes with a cocktail bar and no need to pedal, I think she'd be all over it...or a rickshaw? I bet those guys in Asia have killer leg muscles and cardio fitness :-)
Old 04-19-17, 10:06 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
But to your point, if you have separate budgets, just tell her that you bought it because you could without sweating it, and you didn't tell her because you love her too much to fight about little stuff that doesn't really matter.
I like this advice. Pretty much spot on for my situation.
Old 04-19-17, 10:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
I've learned a decent amount over decades of marriage. One of the best bits is not to get involved in other people's marriages.

So, no specific advice except to remind you that "happy wife = happy life".

Straighten this out sooner rather than later. In the future, decide how important your wife is to you, before gratifying any other whims.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-19-17, 10:32 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
So talk to her. Maybe you make a budget that includes weekly allowances for each of you. You save up - you get a bike. She saves up - she gets a new ensemble. But your posts did make it seem a little lopsided in your direction(bikes, telescopes, computers, your family) - was that what you were intending?
Old 04-19-17, 10:41 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
While true FBINNY, I hesitate to enable a bully, and using scorn or disapproval as a means to get one's way is bullying, and is not a recipe for long term relationship success.

Option a (above), is telling her she's being a jackass about it (assuming the separate budget scenario is being accurately presented?) without telling her she's being a jackass about it.

Option b might be to simply ask her "What part of our separate budget understanding isn't working for you? because I thought we had this understood, yet clearly something here is bothering you? Is there something here we need to work out?" Give her a chance to explain why she's bothered by something that shouldn't be bothering her. The conversation will not only clear the air about the bike, but also clarify understandings about the budget arrangements.

Some people do better with direct to the real point option b. Others get the hint from option a.

Option c is that some people simply can't be reasoned with, so you find various manipulative ways to deal with them. I prefer not to deal with people like that at all, but if you're already married, and it's not so bad you have to pull the plug, then you do what you have to do to make it work. And while "never lie" is easy to say, some people just force you to lie to them if you want to have any peace at all in life. Men too.

Nobody here knows his wife. But he can pick and choose ideas and then work things out within whatever weird culture exists in his own wonderfully weird relationship. Because lets face it, all relationship turn into weird little cultures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.