Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Torn between CAADx and Scott Addict CX

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-07-19, 10:33 AM
sangwlee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I've been looking to purchase a cyclocross bike for sometime now, and I find myself looking at below two bikes.

- 2019 CAADx Ultegra
- 2018 Scott Addict CX 20 Disc Cyclocross

I know 2018 Scott Addict CX 20 is more expensive bike (MSRP of $3200), but I have the opportunity to buy either at ~$1,800 (new).
Given that CAADx has MSRP of $2200, seems like Scott Addict CX is the obvious choice when strictly comparing the prices.

I'm wondering what the community here recommends based on the experiences with the bike, brand, model.
I appreciate your help.
Old 08-07-19, 12:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have a CaadX and its great, no experience with the Scott so can't help you there.

my only take is the Scott has 105?? Not sure but I thought it was a 105 bike...so that alone makes me go Cannondale for that kind of money. I would see what bike "feels" better. Fit is super important.
Old 08-07-19, 03:46 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
There's a recall on some CAADx bikes.
Old 08-08-19, 10:00 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
There's a recall on some CAADx bikes.
Yep, 13-17ish model CaadX with carbon forks. Mine is in the shop now, Cannondale said 3 week turn around at the longest.
Old 08-08-19, 04:37 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I’ve had two CAADXs (which I really like), but given your choices, I’d likely go with the Scott - just because the additional $$ value generally will get you better wheels, components, and hardware. The shop I worked in for years sold both brands, and they are both solid.
Old 08-08-19, 05:01 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I’ve had two CAADXs (which I really like), but given your choices, I’d likely go with the Scott - just because the additional $$ value generally will get you better wheels, components, and hardware. The shop I worked in for years sold both brands, and they are both solid.
I gotta agree with this reasoning. I've also been really happy with the 3 or 4 C-dales that have passed through my stable, but I'd personally prefer the all-around better parts and wheels, over the frame with the classic brand reputation and recognition. The Scott also looks to be the significantly better deal, relative to MSRP.
That being said, one of my rules of thumb when buying toys, from guns to guitars to bikes, is, "all other things being (more or less) equal.....go with the better re-sale potential." ( which I'm thinking would probably be the Cannondale, depending on how much better the components actually are on the Scott).
So, tough call.

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-08-19 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-08-19, 05:07 PM
sangwlee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I gotta agree with this reasoning. I've also been really happy with the 3 or 4 C-dales that have passed through my stable, but I'd personally prefer the all-around better parts and wheels, over the frame with the classic brand reputation and recognition. The Scott also looks to be the significantly better deal, relative to MSRP.
That’s the thing.. just comparing the prices it sounds like Scott Addict CX 20 should have better parts. Maybe I’m too fixated on Ultegra but Scott CX 20 doesn’t seem to have “better” parts besides carbon frame.
Old 08-08-19, 05:32 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by sangwlee
That’s the thing.. just comparing the prices it sounds like Scott Addict CX 20 should have better parts. Maybe I’m too fixated on Ultegra but Scott CX 20 doesn’t seem to have “better” parts besides carbon frame.
Ah, ok. Maybe Scott inflated their MSRP, allowing room for a huge "discount" (so dopes like me would be dazzled by the "savings", LOL! )
If the Scott only has 105, plus it's carbon, then yeah, I'd go with the Cannondale aluminum w/ Ultegra, without a 2nd thought.
(well, unless maybe there was a big difference in the wheel quality.)
Old 08-08-19, 06:46 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
Bicyclebluebook.com estimates the "private party range" for a bike in excellent condition:

2019 Cannondale CAADX Ultegra: $1,240-$1,277
2018 Scott Addict CX 20 Disc: $1,939-$1,995

So the Addict definitely is the better bargain at $1,800.

I've been riding and Addict R1 since 2011, and it's the nicest riding bike I've owned. I assume the CX frame is similar.

Old 08-08-19, 07:48 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Get the Scott. The carbon frame will absorb a lot more of the trail noise than the aluminum CAAD even with the carbon fork (which I assume they’ll replace with one that doesn’t break). Plus, 105 is solid and aside for a few extra grams of weight is every bit as solid as Ultegra. The MSRP difference, and resale value, are indications of the desirability of the carbon frame
Old 08-08-19, 09:34 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
If the bike is going to be used as an all-around rider (road, commute, gravel, exercise, etc.), then I’d still go with the Scott. [In my earlier post, I had forgotten that it was a carbon framed bike - that jumps it up into a whole different category] The components will still be very good quality, and the ride will be faster and smoother. If you are going to race, well, that’s maybe where a lighter bike might really shine. I’m still tending toward the Scott.