Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Help: Sizing Issues?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 02:24 PM
Sotanghon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am 5'7" and I have a 29.75" in seam, 175 lbs and have not had exercise for quite a while. It is also my first time using drop bars. I feel that i need to mention all of this to give you a clearer picture on my current situation.

So I rode the Comax yesterday and earlier this morning. I noticed that I am getting some pain on my bottom then I realized that I am moving forward to reach the handle bars. So then when I ensured the I am comfortable on the saddle, I started feeling some back pains, not sure if this is because I am too stretched out when using the drops.

So I adjusted saddle a little bit, move it towards the handle bars a little bit but then I felt that I got too much weight on my palms to i adjusted it back.

So now my question is, did i get the right size? I saw in the sizing chart for Anyroad Comax in the Giant site that 5'7 is the ceiling for a small and also the floor for the medium.

But then I also saw in another Giant link that 5"7 should be a small.

Now I am confused. Not sure if it is just my body starting to adjust or I actually have sizing issues. What do you think will be best in the long run?

1) Do I swap this with a small?
2) Do I keep the medium then maybe get a 90mm or 80mm stem?

I am attaching a picture of me on my bike with my most relaxed position on the drop bars. Can you comment on my posture and maybe from there determine if the bike is too large or just right for me.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Comax Posture.jpg (51.8 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by Sotanghon; 02-26-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 11:53 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike is well sized for you.

However, you have it adjusted wrong. Saddle is too high and too far fore, your torso is too upright, your back is bent oddly, mostly because you seem to be trying to sit onto the saddle as though it was a stool.
Your entire posture on the bike is so far off that I am not sure you could be helped by instructions and opinions from the forum mates.
Old 02-27-17, 11:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Agree...

^ with the above post. There are several accepted touch stones for the beginning position from which to fit you to this bike. One is that, generally, the forward knee is over the pedal spindle when the forward foot is at 3:00 (right) or 9:00 (left). You can research the particulars for "KOPS". This isn't absolute gospel, but it's a reasonable start. It's difficult to assess with your cranks set as shown, but I'm guessing that your saddle can go backward and lower. The back may be ~2 cm or so and the downward must be adjusted accordingly. It might be 2-3 cm lower, but you'll know by using the ball of the foot on the pedal at 6:00 and the knee slightly bent.

Your weight should be balanced between the downward force on the pedals and the portion carried by the saddle. You should be able to lift your hands to allow them to float or gently rise from the bars while riding. More like the way a jockey rides, if this makes sense.
Old 02-27-17, 12:33 PM
Sotanghon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your responses. These are very helpful. I was about to ask my LBS if i can swap ny bike to a small until I read this.

I have scheduled a bike fitting session with them this week so let's see how it goes.
Old 02-27-17, 10:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
A heck of a lot of it is just riding more. You'll get stronger. Core exercises help a lot. Planks are good. And you need someone to coach you on position. You might be able to get your LBS to put your bike on a trainer and have someone help you with that.
Old 03-03-17, 04:15 PM
Sotanghon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i did the bike fit yesterday and decided to swap what i had with a small. Hopefully i get the new unit tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-03-17, 04:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stem changes can easily be made, Threadless stems with open face bar clamps are good for that.
Old 01-26-20, 12:13 AM
gildelrosan

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am 5'7" with 30 inseam.
Ive had a Giant Anyroad 2 Small size, and aftr a long while, iI sold it to buy my new Anyroad 1 Medium size. Your photo shown has put me in the same position .
I bought a shorter stem 80mm with 8 deg rise (same as the original rise) and lowered the bars taking it down 2 small rings. I also gave the bars a tilt upwards . It rieds like a dream now. However, I will buy a longer 90mm 8 deg stem this week, it may be more comfortable. Keep the saddle adjustment in the center for good pedaling and balance.
The 90mm stem is for explroring more comfort.
Old 01-26-20, 02:09 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by gildelrosan
I The 90mm stem is for explroring more comfort.
That's a good plan as the position you would find the most comfortable is not the same position that is comfortable in the early days of your cycling. The best position is a moving target.
Likes For berner:
Old 01-26-20, 07:37 PM
gildelrosan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
That's a good plan as the position you would find the most comfortable is not the same position that is comfortable in the early days of your cycling. The best position is a moving target.
I believe so. It musnt be pure comfort, or the struggle will get lost.
Old 01-28-20, 10:00 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotanghon
Thank you for your responses. These are very helpful. I was about to ask my LBS if i can swap ny bike to a small until I read this.

I have scheduled a bike fitting session with them this week so let's see how it goes.
If you bought the bike there, they should have it fitted to your body for free

Size looks good - it obviously needs some adjustments though. Also keep in mind that your body needs time to adapt to the new position that's a lot more ''aggressive'' than a mountain bike or a comfort bike. This said, your comfort zone will most likely change over time, and you'll want to adjust your position accordingly.
Old 04-28-20, 04:45 AM
gildelrosan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotanghon
Hi all,

I am 5'7" and I have a 29.75" in seam, 175 lbs and have not had exercise for quite a while. It is also my first time using drop bars. I feel that i need to mention all of this to give you a clearer picture on my current situation.

So I rode the Comax yesterday and earlier this morning. I noticed that I am getting some pain on my bottom then I realized that I am moving forward to reach the handle bars. So then when I ensured the I am comfortable on the saddle, I started feeling some back pains, not sure if this is because I am too stretched out when using the drops.

So I adjusted saddle a little bit, move it towards the handle bars a little bit but then I felt that I got too much weight on my palms to i adjusted it back.

So now my question is, did i get the right size? I saw in the sizing chart for Anyroad Comax in the Giant site that 5'7 is the ceiling for a small and also the floor for the medium.

But then I also saw in another Giant link that 5"7 should be a small.

Now I am confused. Not sure if it is just my body starting to adjust or I actually have sizing issues. What do you think will be best in the long run?

1) Do I swap this with a small?
2) Do I keep the medium then maybe get a 90mm or 80mm stem?

I am attaching a picture of me on my bike with my most relaxed position on the drop bars. Can you comment on my posture and maybe from there determine if the bike is too large or just right for me.

Thanks!
So, whats your fitting set up with the Anyroad Medium now?
im using a 90mm stem now with mine as its more stabled than an 80mm stem.
thanks
Old 04-28-20, 06:57 AM
kasncart

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is helpful.
Old 05-25-20, 12:27 AM
tinkledeath

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
based on my experience, lowering seatpost 2cm, lowering spacer 1.5 - 2cm and get stem 90-100 would be good.

ride more, core strength.

saddle width, and cleat position also very important

cheers
Old 05-28-20, 11:32 PM
Norc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about the same size as you 5'6, same inseam length, 170lb. I'd generally go for the size S.

1. It looks like your arms are fully locked out reaching the hoods. Your shoulders are raised close to your ears to compensate which may cause neck fatigue over a longer period of time.
2. Pain in your bottom could be from A) not being used to riding B) not having a saddle that fits you properly
3. It's generally more comfortable being on a smaller bike frame with a longer stem than being on a larger frame with a shorter stem. The shorter stem will make the bike handle more twitchy, you really start to feel it 80mm and lower.
4. The Giant size chart puts you on the larger side of S but not quite on the smaller side of M
Old 05-29-20, 02:06 PM
Norc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol just realized the post is from 2017. OP how did the fit work out in the end?