Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should You Buy a New Helmet Every 3-4 Years?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should You Buy a New Helmet Every 3-4 Years?

Old 12-23-19, 04:55 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
CPSC says 5-10 which overlaps most manufactures 3-5. If you use your helmet a few times a year the CPSC 10 year estimate might be about right. If you use your helmet several times a week manufacturers are probably closer.

(Only one manufacturer suggests 2 btw, they are in Greater Boston.)

Two studies (coincidently by the same legal forensics company) say helmets have an infinite life span. Ask yourself why.

Then there is the quote the styrene data sheets crowd, who think that EPS and styrene are the same thing.

Hey, if YOU want to wear your Bell Tourlite or Bell Biker in 2020 (and beyond) “enjoy.”

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-23-19 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 05:17 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If you use your helmet .... <snipe>

-mr. bill
did that, I don't plan on using it again.

I might just stick to wearing it. Using it sucks badly! LOL
Old 12-23-19, 06:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You have an argument that proves way too much--if inspection is essentially useless, then I have no way of knowing whether the helmet was fatally compromised in shipment or just basic handling at the store. Obviously, the only rational way to do this is to acquire a helmet right at the end of the production line after, of course, minutely observing every facet of the helmet's production.
Basic handling and shipment isn’t going to compromise the helmet unless the helmet has been crushed during shipping. Bicycle helmets are packed rather well to prevent this from happening. In addition, just normal “handling” isn’t going to compromise the helmet. Even dropping it without any other weight than the helmet itself isn’t going to damage it...they aren’t that delicate.

In use, however, there isn’t anything to protect the helmet from exposure to chemicals or environment conditions that can compromise the helmet. You can’t see that kind of damage. And, again, neither can you test for that kind of damage.

]Sorry, but if the CPSC says up to 10 years is ok, I'm finding it pretty damn hard to believe that the manufacturers have some secret knowledge that the CPSC doesn't regarding degradation over time.
The manufacturers say 3 to 5 years. CPSC says 5 to 10. There’s overlap between the two recommendations. And, frankly, I would say that the manufacturers have more knowledge about their materials than the CPSC. The CPSC doesn’t do the testing on the materials. They depend on the manufacturers for their data.

Can we stop with the nonsense "conspiracy" condescension? These are all business concerns with marketing departments, I don't have to be some sort of paranoid to think that might affect their call on when replacement is needed.
Certainly we can stop the conspiracy nonsense. All it takes is the realization that no one is out to cheat you or me. Yes, there may be decisions made due to marketing but there are also decisions made to ensure that the manufacturer doesn’t have to deal with a bunch of lawsuits. If they say that the helmet is good for 10 or 15 or, in the case of the paper above, 27 years, and then the failure of old helmets results in injury, they are on the hook for the damages. And they are in the business of selling helmets. That’s why they are constantly improving and changing them...to make them better.

BTW, I don't think anyone here is suggesting that someone use 20 year old helmets,. The question in the OP was specifically about 3-5 years. There seem to be plenty of sources more knowledgeable than thee or me that indicate that that range is not based on anything.
There are people advocating for using helmets for 20 years in this thread. My recommendations are based on the properties of the material and how the material reacts to heat, ozone, chemicals around them in use and in storage, etc. What are your recommendations based on?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-23-19, 06:36 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
did that, I don't plan on using it again.

I might just stick to wearing it. Using it sucks badly! LOL
Yup. I’ve used several over the last 40 years. Somewhere between 15 and 20 or, roughly, every 2 to 3 years. It’s never fun to actually put one to the test.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-23-19, 06:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

There are people advocating for using helmets for 20 years in this thread. My recommendations are based on the properties of the material and how the material reacts to heat, ozone, chemicals around them in use and in storage,

Sure they are.
Old 12-24-19, 11:21 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Manufacturer recommendations have nothing to do with the shelf life of foam. Know how I know that? The helmets don't have sell-by dates. Somehow, your hypothetical degradation only starts magically on purchase.
To my memory, my helmets have had a year of manufacture marked on them. My current one certainly does.

I find the fact that I've repeated that 3-5 years has actually been too long for me and you keep accusing me of taking unreasonable risks rather funny.​​​​​​
Yet you also repeatedly claim that the material doesn't degrade which seems that you are advocating that others replace their helmet when? If you didn't bang up your helmet more frequently, if it showed no signs of damaging wear or impact, how long would you go before replacement?
Old 12-25-19, 05:31 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
After this thread started, I got the idea to explain to my wife that I need a new bike every couple of years because the carbon fiber loses it’s integrity over time. She bought me an aluminum bike for Christmas and said I would never need another bike.
Old 12-25-19, 07:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Caliper
To my memory, my helmets have had a year of manufacture marked on them. My current one certainly does.

Yet you also repeatedly claim that the material doesn't degrade which seems that you are advocating that others replace their helmet when? If you didn't bang up your helmet more frequently, if it showed no signs of damaging wear or impact, how long would you go before replacement?
When I read this, I happened to have a Bell helmet I hadn't unboxed yet. The date of manufacture doesn't appear on the box or anywhere else visible to the consumer prior to unboxing. There's a sticker inside the helmet, which informs me that the date of manufacture is almost exactly two years ago. This is definitely not a sell-by date.

I'd probably go with the CPSC and do an automatic replacement every 5-10 years. But, basically, I think this whole degradation issue is a total red herring as no one seems to have any real evidence that it's a significant factor in any of these range calculations. If it is the major factor, then 3-4 years is absurdly short.

For me, the real calculation is whether I am getting any enhanced safety and/or comfort (without safety loss) by purchasing a new helmet. That's really going to depend more on what's available at a price I'm willing to pay than some hypothetical degradation rate that no one seems to have actually quantified in a manner that anyone else can check their work.

BTW, I've relegated a couple of helmets that were barely used to the "keep as a backup" status because I became convinced that MIPS was likely a very good purchase of safety for the cost so they're what I'm using primarily. My tentative conclusion is that MIPS helmets are actually going to require more frequent replacement for me than conventional foam helmets as the points of connection between the liner and the foam are more subject to the effects of wear. I think this trade-off is worth it.

Long story short, I think people can make reasonable judgments about when to replace their helmet without blindly accepting the "recommendations" of people who clearly have a financial interest in planned obsolescence.
Old 12-25-19, 07:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Oh, and one more thing from the actual packaging --here's Bell's safety warning: "A helmet has a limited lifespan in use and should be replaced when it shows obvious signs of wear." Not a single word indicates a fixed rate of degradation. If that's the manufacturer's warning, it's a lot closer to my view than "every 3-4 years."
Old 12-28-19, 09:20 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
My helmet is a Bell V1-Pro in a cool camo pattern that I bought in 1986 when I worked at a bike shop. The conspiracy of that purchase is that it is easier to sell bike helmets when I am a helmet user. I don’t plan to replace it unless my head smacks the ground, which is what I consider “use” in my way of thinking.

I recently replaced the sweat pads and the velcro attach points are still in great shape.
Old 12-28-19, 09:34 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Oh, and one more thing from the actual packaging --here's Bell's safety warning: "A helmet has a limited lifespan in use and should be replaced when it shows obvious signs of wear." Not a single word indicates a fixed rate of degradation. If that's the manufacturer's warning, it's a lot closer to my view than "every 3-4 years."
You are going to want to read the whole owner’s manual.

“Bell also recommends that helmets be replaced every 3 to 5 years from the date of purchase.”

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-28-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-28-19, 01:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
You are going to want to read the whole owner’s manual.

“Bell also recommends that helmets be replaced every 3 to 5 years from the date of purchase.”

-mr. bill

Interesting. Note that they give no reason for the recommendation. Also note that it really isn't consistent with the recommendation in the warning section. Guess which section their attorneys would insist not be touched by the marketing department.
Old 12-31-19, 04:18 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Isn't a degradation of the materials in the helmet the root cause behind the replacement? Nobody ever claimed that helmets should be replaced because fashion trends have changed.
Fashion choice is one of the better reasons in my opinion. And the straps and pad and glue will degrade long before the foam material does to any extent - the fact is, from reading of materials testing studies, data sheets and actual helmet testing (ie, not from half examined general principles) there is almost no UV degradation for helmets. Ozone is also a non factor, because this material is particularly resistant to ozone. Salt doesn't affect it, water doesn't affect it (after it dries out). It is vulnerable to solvents ( I mean organic solvents obviously) and other reactive chemicals which shouldn't ever come into contact with the helmet in normal use.

If anyone wants to replace his helmet for any reason, they're golden in my view. That's the American Way, prosperity through consumption. But it rubs me the wrong way to scare people into buying what they don't need, especially when it's based on obvious CYA legal disclaimers by the manufacturer.