Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Effect of placing seat fore or aft

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 12-24-19, 09:37 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I’m not sure how to accurately ask this, but I’m curious what effect a more forward vs more rearward seat position has on pedaling efficiency or muscle engagement. Is one position better than the other for a particular discipline, say, racing vs long distance? Does the hip joint’s relationship to the bottom bracket affect anything?
Old 12-25-19, 09:19 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Peter White, who produces and sells bike equipment has a fine description of the various elements of bike fit. Reading his description highlights how much of a compromise a bike fit can be to find an optimum between racing or cruising around town or setting a bike up for a world tour. https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.php
Old 12-25-19, 09:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
KOPS is always a good starting point. Saddle more forward opens the hip angle, which is good for aero position, but it weights the hands more. It increases quad activity. Saddle more aft takes weight off the hands, increases hamstring and glute activity. Some long distance riders prefer a slightly more aft position. Time trialists have a much more forward position. Of course changing saddle position changes reach, thus moving the saddle forward means a longer stem and vice versa. Preferred reach is what you don't change.
Old 12-25-19, 04:01 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Riding style can also be a factor. No matter where I place my saddle, I seem to like riding on the nose. I imagine a coach might get me to change, but I ride for fun and for exercise, and my competition is with myself. Besides, my budget can't stretch for a coach, so ... I do what comes naturally. I suspect at least some other riders also use their own style.