Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Klarus XT20 Dual Head Flashlight Mounted as Bike Light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 01:00 AM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't posted in a while, but playing with this new Klarus XT20 that I got from GoingGear to use as a bike light has me wanting to share a bit. This is supposedly a 1200 lumen light (as stated by the manufacturer), and although I leave it to others to do actual measurement/testing in that regard the XT20 does put out a lot of light.

I haven't treated myself to a new bike light in some time, and although this is technically a flashlight my intent in purchasing was almost exclusively to use it on my bike.

The mount I rigged up is done with a pair of TwoFish lockblocks and a two ViewPoint Spacebars. This is basically the same stuff I always use, but I repositioned the spacebars to provide two locking points for the flashlight, which has about an 8.5-inch length (listed as 218mm). The way I've used the spacebars seems to make for a really solid mount, seemingly not very susceptible to light bounce/shifting/unwanted movement. I won't vouch for it in hard riding off road, but it seems to work fine for me.

I think this rig works out for an interesting setup and the XT20 certainly puts out good light and supposedly has long runtime on high (I tested it for only about a half hour, though).

A few specs on the XT20:

• Runs on two 18650 batteries (or four CR123A)
• Two CREE XM-L U2 LEDs
• Three lighting modes and one flashing mode
• High: 1200 lumens (2 hr)
• Medium: 370 lumens (5.3 hrs)
• Low: 10 lumens (205 hrs)
• Strobe: 1200 lumens (4 hrs)

From what I'm seeing the price seems to be about $160 for the XT20, but I applied the GoingGear CPF discount and got it for $144 with free shipping.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with it. I'm not much on being one of the first to try a new flashlight like this (much preferring to let others do testing and only purchasing later based on good user reviews), but I had a pretty good feeling about The XT20 based on other Klarus light reviews and how I thought this one would fit my plans for use on a bike. I'm also big on purchasing lights that can be used for multiple purposes, so I have quite a liking for using flashlights on bikes.

Here are a few shots to show how I chose to mount the XT20 (various angles for clarity).

Last edited by varuscelli; 09-04-11 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-04-11, 01:06 PM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another oddity about the design/build of the Klarus XT20 in that Klarus seems to have made the decision to sell a mixed reflector version (smooth on one side and orange peel on the other). I think this possibly gives the light a slightly better mix of throw and spill...or at least makes the center spot more smooth and well blended.

Oddly, advertising images and descriptions from Klarus indicate two orange peel reflectors, initial reviewers seem to have received all smooth reflectors, and first batch shipments seem to have mixed reflectors like this one.

Old 09-06-11, 10:31 PM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coupling the XT20 with a ZebraLight SC600 made for an interesting combo. I had half a spacebar available and thought it would make a good spot for a backup light...or one to use simultaneously with the XT20. The SC600 is floodier and the XT20 throws better, so the two really lit thing up nicely. It was a fun experiment...and put more light out in front of me than I've ever ridden with before.

Old 09-18-11, 12:28 AM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm experimenting with lowering the XT20 light setup by making the spacebars parallel to, but slightly lower than, the handlebar. I'm using a lockblock on the handlebar now to secure one end of the XT20, enabling me to drop the whole setup closer to handlebar level.

Old 09-18-11, 07:50 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Great setup - you know - what you really "need" now? Another Klarus - mounted like your LD20 setup, only turned 90 degrees so the reflectors on one light are vertical one over the other.

I assume it would produce a "quad-spot." With one beam "wide" and one beam "tall."
Old 09-18-11, 03:39 PM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha! I wish I could afford a second one to test the quad-spot theory.

In any case, two of these would light the heck out of whatever road or path i was traveling.