Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

nOOb Old and Slow looking for suitable supported ride in the Fall w lotsa elev gain?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

nOOb Old and Slow looking for suitable supported ride in the Fall w lotsa elev gain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 12:34 PM
Sewellymon

Bikes: S- Works Tarmac, Bianchi Infinito CV, Spot Rollick 27.5'r, YETI ASR 29'r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

After a couple decades of being semi-dormant as an endurance athlete, I am back in the saddle for 2016 (Strava is a great motivator).
I don't expect to really hit my stride until '17 once requisite miles ridden and weight dropped happens.

However- I would like to do a supported ride this fall somewhere in the mountains that holds hope for me not getting swept off the course due to my slowness? My goal these days is elevation gain, not miles, so that's what rules me. 8k or 10k elevation gain- ish?

For sure I want to ride ACH to Dawson Saddle and back, as well as the 39/ 2 loop- but those might require 2017 when I've dropped 20 or 30 lbs. Until then-- -what say you?

Which supported ride would you recommend for Sept/ Oct/ Nov?
Old 06-16-16, 02:51 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
to do the kind of rides you're talking about, i'd simply do rides as far up hwy 39, hwy 2 or glendora mountain road/glendora ridge road as you can go.
there is little to zero support on those roads but you can always turn around if you've "had enough" and coast nearly the entire way back to the start of
the respective climb. the mentality and physicality of those particular roads reward a riding frequency of more than a lone supported ride. i try to do
those particular rides a few times a year but i'm coming from san diego. they're in your backyard. take advantage. they're an invaluable cycling resource.
weekdays are great. weekends...not so much.

schedule-wise, you may have better luck latching on with one of the various cycling clubs on one of their forays vs a supported ride.
happy climbing and i hope to see you dropping me next time i'm climbing in the area
Old 06-16-16, 03:00 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

and just to note, glendora mountain road/glendora ridge road are usually closed to (motor) vehicular traffic on the 4th of july and some of the corresponding weekend.
that early morning 4th of july ride to mt. baldy village (and to the ski lifts if you choose) is an absolute blast and should not be missed. hundreds and hundreds of
riders of all ages and abilities. highly recommended.
Old 06-16-16, 03:33 PM
Sewellymon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thnx. I'll suss out the July 4 ride. I am not a fan of Baldy on weekends because of traffic.

I get up GMR often enough. Just did the 2 to Mt Wilson above Clear Creek the other day. I'm doin' a 59 year old- day challenge ride in week or less.. prob drive a ways up 39 and go to Dawson Saddle and back (maybe Tuesday if the temps drop?). 5900' gain the gaol

But I do like the idea of the supported ride from a safety stand- point. Plus something to motivate me to an 8k or 10 k day...
Old 06-17-16, 01:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

last time i was up there riding up the 39 was on a hot day as projected this upcoming week

https://www.strava.com/activities/409734524

the interminable stretch between the east fork/39 bridge junction and the crystal cafe was h-o-t even early in the am. hadda stop for
3 mins lower down to soak my cap in the stream by the lower stream on the right of the ascent and then a 5 min stop higher up
before the cafe turnoff at the trickling spring roadside to soak the cap, base layer and jersey. that 32+ mile (almost all) uphill stretch
from azuza at the bottom to dawson saddle at the top is a tough one. supposedly the biggest vertical elevation gain in the entire
continental united states. quite a feather in the cap. i'm a slowpoke grinder of a climber...the goal is usually to finish the climb without
putting a foot down. you can do that long climb, you should be able to tackle anything in the region.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-17-16 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 11:49 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Try this sticky at the top of the forum - it looks like you have some possible contenders - https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-c...-calendar.html

This site is more general to the west but it does list elevation next to each ride, so it might be easier to find one: Big Brother Cycling Network Ride Calendar
Old 06-17-16, 02:16 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
If you are limited to weekends, The E fork and Little GMR are in deep shade and the traffic isn't too bad on 39 if you get past the OHV area before 7:30 or so. It gets crazy later though, and lots of drunks in the afternoon.

Little traffic once you turn on the bridge, but keep your ears open for manic skateboarders on Little GMR.

I'll head up 39 after work on weekdays sometimes and just go until an arbitrary turnaround time. Peaceful and quiet up there then. Beware of the down slope gusts coming out of the canyon mouth near dusk. They can knock you about a bit.

There will be so many of us on GMR the 3rd that I will be close to like a supported ride. At least you'll have plenty of company.

Last edited by TGT1; 06-17-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-17-16, 02:20 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Circle of Doom goes up 39 and down ACH
Old 06-17-16, 05:01 PM
Sewellymon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Circle of Doom sounds perfect (except I'd need to roll out 3 hours prior to everybody else I am so slow....

I'd like to do the ride that circles Mt Pinos, et al.. but that is 11 months away or so.....
Old 06-18-16, 11:51 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Sewellymon
Circle of Doom sounds perfect (except I'd need to roll out 3 hours prior to everybody else I am so slow....

I'd like to do the ride that circles Mt Pinos, et al.. but that is 11 months away or so.....
me too but solo-not the supported century. have scouted out 2/3 of the ride and there's precious little support (stores/water)
once out of frazier park east to hwy 166 then south to the turnoff heading east back to frazier park. i think there's water
available at that ranger station at the base of hwy 33 grade heading south to ojai but i wouldn't stake my life on it.
thinking of parking strategically near the 166/33 intersection and refueling in frazier park so i'll have renewed energy
to handle the last third (35 miles) of ups/downs of the northern leg of the "triangle."
Old 06-19-16, 02:17 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want maximum gain in the minimum distance on a ride that doesn't really need support, park at the west fork picnic area (or the little parking spot just before it) on 39 and ride up to Crystal Lake, then from there back to 39 and up to Dawson, back down the 2 to Newcomb's, and then back down to west fork. That gives you at least two places to get food (Crystal Lake and Newcomb's) plus water at Coldbrook. There's not really rolling anything or flat-- it's all either up or down.
Old 06-19-16, 02:41 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^if i remember correctly, newcomb's is closed monday/tuesday or tuesday/wednesday and closes mid-afternoon. have never taken the turnoff to crystal lake off the 39 so dunno
if the crystal lake cafe has abbreviated days/hours.