Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Journal - Back for Another Season

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 09:35 PM
dexter9326

Bikes: 2011 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy, 2007 Lemond Alpes d'Huez, 1994 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1994 Schwinn Cross Trail, 1991 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 50 MTB,1991 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1979 Schwinn World Sport, 1967 Hercules 3 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to post in the weight watchers thread - but I'm no longer doing weight watchers. I'm tracking my food and calories on Lose It. I'm really hoping for a better year. Starting off at 276 with a lot of weight to go. I've been trying to lose weight for the past few years with very little success. New season, new commitment.

It's April 1st in the still cold north. I've got a substantial amount of snow around my house - but the roads are pretty clear. I think we hit 50 degrees once in March but as late as last week we had some daytime highs in the 20s. Tomorrow's supposed to hit 60 - and if I can get out of work - I might be able to take my first ride of the year. Just started with Lose It today. I'm planning on updating weekly to keep myself motivated and honest.

Hoping for the best.
Old 04-01-15, 11:33 PM
DanWho

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read about a study where you could lose weight by limiting your meals to a 4 hour period each day, you could eat pretty much what you wanted and how much. You can drink threw out the day coffee, tea, or water, no soda. On Feb 1, I weighed in at 311, today I weighed in at 290. I forgot to weigh myself on Mar 1, so no idea what I was then. I know that overall I am eating a lot less than I did before.

It is working for me. If it will work the same for anyone else YMMV. My 4 hour period is from 5-9 which also includes part of my riding time. I commute to and from work a whole .8 mile so evening is when I do more of my riding. My rides to and from work are usually sprints to and from work just as fast as I can and then a more relaxed ride later.

Last edited by DanWho; 04-01-15 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 06:12 AM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you've been trying for a couple years without much success, have you seen your doctor for a checkup? I avoided doctors for years, and the last couple of years I had tried hard to lose weight and it just hadn't worked at all. I ended up having to go to the doctor and found out I was diabetic. Since starting meds for diabetes and changing my diet, I've lost 175lbs, since Feb 2014. I always tell people now that any weight loss effort should start with a visit to their doctor...I wish I had gone years ago.
Old 04-04-15, 04:02 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Shy away from gimmick approaches. Short term success but usually not sustainable and again usually the weight is gained back.
Old 04-05-15, 08:43 AM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand exactly what it's like, having worn lots of extra weight since I was 8 years old (I'm 33). I'm doing weight watchers online, I've lost 102 lbs in 49 weeks. I've always hated diets, never understood the concept of it and can't live without pizza. I'm happy I found a way to eat what I want, to satisfaction, just more intelligently, coupled with will and lots of sport (running, tennis, hockey), I'm working my way towards my objective. I changed my eating habits and my lifestyle, which will last forever, and that's the true win. We can all do it. I'm currently at 204 and will reach 175 towards the end of July.

I rewarded myself with a Specialized Tricross 2014 this week. Rode it from the store Thursday, and rode it a bit Friday too. Now it'll be pretty cold for the next week with bad weather, which will give my butt a chance to recuperate - that's what no cycling in 8-9 years does to you. Can't wait until the temperature stays above 10 degrees all the time !

Great job DanWho and Judi: that's truly amazing. You must be feeling like nothing can stop you, and you should !
Old 04-05-15, 09:32 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by dexter9326
I used to post in the weight watchers thread - but I'm no longer doing weight watchers. I'm tracking my food and calories on Lose It. I'm really hoping for a better year. Starting off at 276 with a lot of weight to go. I've been trying to lose weight for the past few years with very little success. New season, new commitment.

It's April 1st in the still cold north. I've got a substantial amount of snow around my house - but the roads are pretty clear. I think we hit 50 degrees once in March but as late as last week we had some daytime highs in the 20s. Tomorrow's supposed to hit 60 - and if I can get out of work - I might be able to take my first ride of the year. Just started with Lose It today. I'm planning on updating weekly to keep myself motivated and honest.

Hoping for the best.
I've been a weight yo-yo for years. Finally decided that this was going to stop. I set a weight goal and tracked it with lose-it and lost the weight I had targeted for the year. I also got a wirthings wifi based scale so that the weight tracking is easier (no data entry - goes straight into LoseIt). Finally, with the new iPhone OS (8.1) and HealthKit, my exercise is tracked through Cyclemeter and is automatically transferred to LoseIt. Then I met with a nutritionist and with my doctor with the intention of coming up with a strategy to keep off the weight through the winter. LoseIt was vital because of the nutrition and health information I could provide to my doc and nutritionist. I accomplished the weight loss and have to regained it over the winter. I will do another loss this summer again.

This is the first time it's worked for me. I noticed that after getting through the winter with no gain back of weight, my body seems to have adapted to a new "set point." By the time it's done this year, I'll be back to my mid twenties weight level when I was riding 200 miles per week. And it will stay off.

Normally, my winters are spent downhill skiing and the rest of the year cycling. This year, I'm going to get a fat bike and ride (and ski) through the winter. That will also help readjust the set point again.

I guess the point about making a lifestyle change is really important. Also, it's not just losing the weight, it's keeping it off. You have to recognize that your body is a biological system and it's going to take time to adapt. If you don't do that, you are going to be right back up in weight. Too, I'm pretty accepting of the fact that I will be watching what I eat for the rest of my life.

J.
Old 04-05-15, 04:10 PM
BadBurrito

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also am using Loseit. I really like the app. The weather is starting to turn good, and I've managed a few rides this past week so I'm hoping that will help too
Old 04-08-15, 03:56 PM
dexter9326

Bikes: 2011 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy, 2007 Lemond Alpes d'Huez, 1994 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1994 Schwinn Cross Trail, 1991 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 50 MTB,1991 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1979 Schwinn World Sport, 1967 Hercules 3 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - thanks for all of the responses. To touch on a few of them - I've been to a doctor and am pre-diabetic. Advice from hm was to exercise and lose weight. I'm figuring this is my last chance before I have to relent and go on some meds - so I'm going to give it my best shot. I've been on the yo yo pattern too long. I'll generally lose some weight and then relapse into bad habits. Or... a major holiday hits or there's a series of events that involve eating. Those are my weaknesses.

This past week it was Easter. Big meal and a visit from my out of town brother. That means more than a few alcoholic beverages. Despite that I was able to pull of a 0.6 pound loss and am now at 275.4. I'll take it.

As for riding - no dice. Too cold with the exception of one day' We hit 60 degrees last Thursday but by the time I got o ur of work it was raining with 35 mph winds. Saturday and Sunday - we had snow. So I'm looking forward to my first ride of the year.
Old 04-08-15, 04:03 PM
dexter9326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NILS14
I understand exactly what it's like, having worn lots of extra weight since I was 8 years old (I'm 33). I'm doing weight watchers online, I've lost 102 lbs in 49 weeks. I've always hated diets, never understood the concept of it and can't live without pizza. I'm happy I found a way to eat what I want, to satisfaction, just more intelligently, coupled with will and lots of sport (running, tennis, hockey), I'm working my way towards my objective. I changed my eating habits and my lifestyle, which will last forever, and that's the true win. We can all do it. I'm currently at 204 and will reach 175 towards the end of July.

I rewarded myself with a Specialized Tricross 2014 this week. Rode it from the store Thursday, and rode it a bit Friday too. Now it'll be pretty cold for the next week with bad weather, which will give my butt a chance to recuperate - that's what no cycling in 8-9 years does to you. Can't wait until the temperature stays above 10 degrees all the time !

Great job DanWho and Judi: that's truly amazing. You must be feeling like nothing can stop you, and you should !
Where in Quebec are you from? I ski every year in Tremblant, usually stop in Montreal to catch a Habs game, have been to the Montreal Jazz Festival at least a dozen times, attended the Grand Prix Cyclistes de Montreal a couple of years ago and have been to Quebec City 5 - or 6 times over the last number of years. Hoping to ski Le Massif next year.
Old 04-08-15, 04:22 PM
ChrisZog

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Judi
Since you've been trying for a couple years without much success, have you seen your doctor for a checkup? I avoided doctors for years, and the last couple of years I had tried hard to lose weight and it just hadn't worked at all. I ended up having to go to the doctor and found out I was diabetic. Since starting meds for diabetes and changing my diet, I've lost 175lbs, since Feb 2014. I always tell people now that any weight loss effort should start with a visit to their doctor...I wish I had gone years ago.
This. I got my checkup from doctor right around when I started making changes and she told me something similar. If I am losing weight for no reason OR if I'm try and not losing then that can be a symptom of something. She still recommends checking A1C (basically blood sugar but checks for 3 months previously) and thyroid just to be sure. Soon as we get our insurance cards sorted I'm going to check it out. That said I've been working and losing so it is probably a good sign. But if anyone is being honest with themselves and is trying to lose and nothing is happening that may be a sign that something is out of whack. And diabetes and thyroid issues are probably 2 of the most common reasons.

In terms of limiting calories I've found that educating yourself about culinary arts can help. I went to culinary school and got an associates but never took it anywhere. But I've used that background to basically prepare all of my food except when out with friends or family. Salads are healthy? Sure. But learn to make your own dressings (though in class we were taught to use 2:1 - 4:1 oil to acid ratios. I've been using 1:4 oil to acid ratio and then using mustard to hold it together). Oats seem to be one of the most popular options for runners and cyclists. But a bit of background and time, you may find that steel-cut oats taste better with less sweetener than rolled or instant oats. I focus on foods that keep me full and have high flavor without needing too many calories. Oats, salads, lean meat (fish and chicken), black coffee, fruits, veggies, etc and prepare them in different ways to keep from getting bored. Or just open up the Trek website and stare at the bike I want next year. That always helps too
Old 04-08-15, 07:09 PM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dexter9326
Where in Quebec are you from? I ski every year in Tremblant, usually stop in Montreal to catch a Habs game, have been to the Montreal Jazz Festival at least a dozen times, attended the Grand Prix Cyclistes de Montreal a couple of years ago and have been to Quebec City 5 - or 6 times over the last number of years. Hoping to ski Le Massif next year.
I'm in Longueuil, which is directly south of Montreal, across the river if you take Jacques-Cartier bridge. I don't ski but I heard Le Massif is simply breathtaking, the most beautiful place in all of Quebec to ski. I've seen a few Habs games obviously, I've been to the F1 qualifying session once too. I'm going to the Quarter-Finals of the Rogers Cup this year. I'll probably head over to one of the many festivals. Funny how when you actually live right next to those things, you don't actually go that often lol
Old 04-08-15, 07:40 PM
dexter9326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NILS14
I'm in Longueuil, which is directly south of Montreal, across the river if you take Jacques-Cartier bridge. I don't ski but I heard Le Massif is simply breathtaking, the most beautiful place in all of Quebec to ski. I've seen a few Habs games obviously, I've been to the F1 qualifying session once too. I'm going to the Quarter-Finals of the Rogers Cup this year. I'll probably head over to one of the many festivals. Funny how when you actually live right next to those things, you don't actually go that often lol
It is funny how you tend to overlook things in your own back yard isn't it? I live near Buffalo and feel like I've overlooked things here as well. I've been to nearby Niagara Falls only once in the last 25 years or so.

I think of Montreal as one of the great North American cities and really enjoy traveling there (and Quebec City) for the French ambiance, festivals and attractions. I hope to take my 2 boys to the F1 in 2016 as both will be out of High School and I won't have to worry about that weekend interfering with school.
Old 04-08-15, 08:12 PM
ChrisZog

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing for me. I grew up in Michigan and lived their for 22 years. It wasn't until I moved to Arizona that I suddenly regretted missing out on some of the Michigan things to do. And we lived in Phoenix probably 5 years before going to Sedona and then the Grand Canyon. I still haven't gone up to 4 Corners or even Camelback mountain downtown and have been here over 10 years now.
Old 04-09-15, 01:06 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dexter,
When you talk of NY and I talk of NY (Long Island), I feel like we are talking of very different places. Based on where we each are, THEY ARE so take this with a grain of salt since our climates are rather different. I have ridden nearly every weekend since getting the bike in late January. I would suggest a pair of good tights with wind barrier like the Pearl Izumi Thermal Barrier or even better the AmFib tights. Get a thermal jersey, a barrier base layer and a softshell jacket. I grabbed a scullie from Kohl's to wear under my helmet for warmth. I also picked up some winter biking gloves. I find you really do warm up biking and if you feel cold, just pedal harder. There were several times when I said to myself, 'OOh, it is cold, better turn on the heater' while riding and I would up my effort. I also picked up some booties to wear over my clipless shoes and taped the vent holes closed. I have been successful with this in temps as low as 22 degrees F and up to 45 so far. Above that and the underlayers goes away. Check out this thread, especially this post for what to wear when doing cold weather riding - Post #4 https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...tml#post850391

For me, I sweat at the drop of a hat so being able to ride in the cold allows me to ride more like everyone else - feeling somewhat dry. Yeah, I do sweat and when I do, I slow up a bit to vent and cool off. Another benefit is with less sweat means less chafing!!

Especially in the beginning when the ride duration tend to be shorter, riding in the winter can be fun. I enjoy the fact that there aren't many people out and about and there is a serenity when you bike and not hear much outside. Also, it s something cool to be caught at the start of snow. It all looks so nice.

Best of success,

Frank

Last edited by Fly2High; 04-09-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 01:31 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I live up North in Minnesota. As we say here, there's 9 months of winter and three months of mighty late spring. While an exaggeration, it's not by much. If we didn't ride when it was cold, we'd have a short season. So, for me, I wind up riding starting in late March depending on if the roads are clear. That means riding in the 30's regularly.

It's no issue if you have the clothes for it. So you'll need to spend some coin and learn how to ride with long underwear under your tights for layering. I tend to find that it's harder to stay cool in the winter than it is in the summer. You either are too hot and steamy or freezing. There doesn't seem to be a lot in between.

That said, I've been doing this for decades. Almost any time I go out in the cold either cycling or skiing, I just marvel at how great the clothes are now. Back in the day, it was bulky, sweaty and all wool. Learn now to dress and design your riding outfits accordingly - that's no simple task, but it's way worth it.

I tend to get off the road bike when the ground freezes which dramatically increases the chance for ice. Since my two passions in life are alpine skiing and cycling, I just drop one for the other.

That will change this coming winter though. My plan is to get a fatbike and cycle throughout the winter and combine that with skiing. I think that would be a blast based on the riding I did on a fatbike this winter to try it out. Can't wait.

J.
Old 04-15-15, 04:07 PM
dexter9326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice about cold weather cycling. I do have some cold weather gear, and have ridden with temperatures in the upper 40s - on nicer days. I have a hard time getting motivated to go out on days where the temperature is less than 45 and/or the wind is howling at 20-25 mph - which is not unusual around herein spring.

The good news is that for the past week - we've had really nice weather in the Buffalo area the past few days. The bad news is that I have not been able to ride due to my work schedule. That will change by this weekend - so I'm looking forward to finally getting out.

As for the weight loss - I spent Friday - Monday visiting my father in law in Tampa. He's in a nursing home down there - so the days were spent at the nursing home. The evenings were spent enjoying the Tampa Bay Blues Festival. So there was plenty of beer and BBQ - as well as 4 straight days of restaurant food. I did my best to eat smart and limit the brews. Weighed in this morning at 273 - down 2.4 for the week and 3 pounds in total.

Looking forward to some rides over the next few days.
Old 04-22-15, 08:42 AM
dexter9326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got to spend some time on my bike this past weekend. Saturday was glorious with perfect conditions. Temp in the 60s with very little wind. Sunday, the temperature was the same, but the wind was howling. I did 10.5 miles both days.

I know that's not much for most, but for me it was just right. Even in mid season I typically only go 12-15 miles.

Weight loss continues. Down to 271.4. I encountered wet snow this morning on my drive into work and the next two days, snow is in the forecast with overnight temps in the low 30s. Hoping to get some rides in over the weekend when it warms up to a tad.
Old 04-29-15, 06:29 AM
dexter9326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had snow the Thursday and Friday of last week. I had to go out of town over the weekend and Monday was rainy and cold. The result was no rides. Better weather is ahead for the rest of this week.

I'm setting a goal of 100 miles for May. I know it's not much - which is why I'm no longer looking at the monthly goals thread. I've decided for this year that I need to focus on my weight loss and goals and not compare myself to others. My results generally pale in comparison and I end up getting discouraged.

Weight down to 270.2 I started April at 276 - so I'm down 5.8 pounds for the month. I'll take it.
Old 04-29-15, 08:46 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
One tip I use for losing weight (and I am a type two diabetic on insulin which slows weight loss) is to bake my meat on a broiler pan and to use dry spices and not sauces.

Also there are spices that can help with the diabetes (turmeric and cinnamon for two), and eating raw veggies as a snack when you get the munchies.

Keep up the good work
Old 04-29-15, 01:03 PM
BigDB67

Bikes: 2014 Novara Strada - 2013 Cannondale Quick 4 - 2015 Ghost Tacana 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As of January 1st I weighed in at 311.8 and as of today I am 279.6 lbs. I hope by the end of Summer to be in the 240s and stay there!
Old 04-29-15, 05:54 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDB67
As of January 1st I weighed in at 311.8 and as of today I am 279.6 lbs. I hope by the end of Summer to be in the 240s and stay there!
That is good, the last 10% to 20% are a little more difficult than the first 80% to 90% :-).
Old 04-30-15, 06:47 AM
BigDB67

Bikes: 2014 Novara Strada - 2013 Cannondale Quick 4 - 2015 Ghost Tacana 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
That is good, the last 10% to 20% are a little more difficult than the first 80% to 90% :-).
Oh I know... I have been on this roller coaster before!
Old 04-30-15, 09:39 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm staying down here on the flat from now on :-)....maybe flood plain is the proper term :-)
Old 05-06-15, 05:51 PM
dexter9326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wednesday weigh in - 269.4 Got 3 rides in this past week. Saturday was a great day to ride but I committed myself to doing yard work all day, so at least I did get some exercise.

Up to 33.5 miles for the month with a goal of 100.
Old 05-14-15, 12:01 PM
dexter9326

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually do these on Wednesday but I had a family pet emergency with a negative outcome. Weight down to 269.2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.