Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What should I do - Shimano 3-speed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 02:08 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

Last weekend on a drive-by whim, I bought a Free Spirit ladies bike with a Shimano 3-speed IG hub. The bike was clean (as in not pampered, but well kept). I gave it a test ride and it didn't shift into all gears, but I bought it anyway (it was Cheap).

So I took it home, looked for an oil port for the hub, and found none. Being totally ignorant about Shimano IG hubs, I immediately began messing with the bell crank adjustment on my high $$ bike stand (rope with 2 hooks over the joists).

I got it to shift through a 3 gears on the stand, but it took a little tweaking during the test ride to get it right. So now my choices are:

1. Do I sell it? I can get $50 - $75 in a college town (I could use that on a project).
2. Do I donate it to a homeless shelter? There is one nearby.
3. Do I park it with a "Free Bike" sign on it?

If I knew how to conduct a poll on this forum, I would do it.
Old 04-25-15, 04:38 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I am assuming it's an older Shimano "333" hub. According to Sheldon, these have a reputation for internal complexity, unreliability and fragile components.
I would probably go with option 3. It may screw up again down the road, but no one can complain about the price.
Old 04-26-15, 07:50 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
If you need the $$, sell for $50, otherwise donate it.

Myself, I count on word of mouth and repeat business, so I avoid Shimano 3 speeds and department store bikes. If I get one for free, I take them straight to the co-op.

Depending on how often you sell bikes, your reputation is worth more than a $50 dud bike.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-26-15 at 07:55 AM.