Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Head Badge Installation

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Head Badge Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 02:40 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Head Badge Installation

I need to install a head badge. I usually go to McMaster-Carr and buy screws to fit the hole, but this time I would like to rivet the badge onto the head tube. Anyone have advice for tools & technique?
Old 04-25-15, 03:42 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
would drive screws work for you?
https://www.fastenal.com/products/fa...0Screws%22%7C~

If not, you might try tubular rivets. Like used on some 70's bikes. The tricky part is the anvil. But a one inch bar of steel inside the head tube might suffice as long as it's rigid enough. I haven't done this, but intend to some day when I finally remove the badge from a Motobecane and paint. They're tubular rivets but I will use drive screws to replace the badge. Much simpler.
Old 04-25-15, 03:44 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
You can buy stainless steel rivits, not sure if that is the correct name, though. Sadly, my stuff is at home and I am abroad, at the moment.

Anyway, the rivit has an extremely aggressive thread and is called a Drive Screw. Start there and you just might find what you need.
Old 04-25-15, 03:59 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I've been calling them Screw-nails from the McMaster Carr page. Whatever they're called, they're the way to go. The only trick is selecting the right size for the hole - and not going any longer than you need (or you'll end up binding on the steerer).
Old 04-25-15, 04:27 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Originally Posted by auchencrow
I've been calling them Screw-nails from the McMaster Carr page. Whatever they're called, they're the way to go. The only trick is selecting the right size for the hole - and not going any longer than you need (or you'll end up binding on the steerer).
You may have nailed it Crow. I have a bunch of #2 screws from McM C that worked on most badges, but the Raleigh holes are larger (like #3 ). I wish I could put a brass or copper rivit in there though.
Old 04-26-15, 08:15 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
You can buy stainless steel rivits, not sure if that is the correct name, though. Sadly, my stuff is at home and I am abroad, at the moment.

Anyway, the rivit has an extremely aggressive thread and is called a Drive Screw. Start there and you just might find what you need.
A rivit is the sound made by a frog.
Old 04-26-15, 08:33 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Only certain frogs. Others say croak, burrrupp, or peep.

A brass or copper rivet would be cool looking, Dweenk. And they're certainly available. But not nearly as easy to install as a drive screw. Would require a backing anvil with which to peen over the back side of the rivet inside the head tube. Worth a try though.
Old 04-26-15, 08:39 AM
rootboy 

Dweenk, what size copper rivet would work? I just looked in my voluminous collection of weird stuff out in the garage and found a jar full of copper rivets. From very small to 1/4 inch. Not sure they'd work or not. They're made for countersunk holes, but may work once peened over carefully. If you can give me a diameter, and the approximate length you need, I can send you some to try if you like.
Old 04-26-15, 08:58 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Only certain frogs. Others say croak, burrrupp, or peep.
True and true, however; when standing near the edge of the pond, they always say - "kneedeep, kneedeep"
Old 04-26-15, 09:02 AM
rootboy 

FWIW. Great site;
Rivets by Jay-Cee | Rivets In Stock - Rivets & Rivet Tools
Old 04-26-15, 09:03 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I used 3/32"X.250 stainless pop rivets on my Raleigh Competition. They closely resemble the original brass ones, except for the color. They came from McMaster-Carr and I had to buy 100.
Old 04-26-15, 11:55 AM
dweenk

Originally Posted by rootboy
Dweenk, what size copper rivet would work? I just looked in my voluminous collection of weird stuff out in the garage and found a jar full of copper rivets. From very small to 1/4 inch. Not sure they'd work or not. They're made for countersunk holes, but may work once peened over carefully. If you can give me a diameter, and the approximate length you need, I can send you some to try if you like.
I tried to use #2 pan head machine screws, but the holes were just a tad too large. A rivet the size of a #2 screw should work though. I need three to do the job and 1 or 2 extra for mistakes
Old 04-26-15, 12:51 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
FWIW I made copper rivets for my headbadge when I reinstalled it on my Raleigh Professional. I measured the old brass rivets and found a piece of solid copper wire that was real close and fit the holes nicely. I think it was 12 awg wire but may have been 10 awg. You'll have to measure. I peened one end over on each piece (they must have been ~ 3/16" long) then inserted them from the inside. Set the head badge in place, inserted a steel rod into the HT as a backing mass then carefully peened over the outside end. It didn't take much light hammering. The first one was tricky but the next two were pretty simple. No interferance with the steerer tube and that badge has held nicely for the past 1000 miles. The badge is exceedingly light so I don't think it needs much to keep in place. The copper rivets look just fine - much better than the weird pop rivets that Raleigh used some years. The looked like frog's eyes.
Old 04-26-15, 01:28 PM
dweenk

Originally Posted by Prowler
FWIW I made copper rivets for my headbadge when I reinstalled it on my Raleigh Professional. I measured the old brass rivets and found a piece of solid copper wire that was real close and fit the holes nicely. I think it was 12 awg wire but may have been 10 awg. You'll have to measure. I peened one end over on each piece (they must have been ~ 3/16" long) then inserted them from the inside. Set the head badge in place, inserted a steel rod into the HT as a backing mass then carefully peened over the outside end. It didn't take much light hammering. The first one was tricky but the next two were pretty simple. No interferance with the steerer tube and that badge has held nicely for the past 1000 miles. The badge is exceedingly light so I don't think it needs much to keep in place. The copper rivets look just fine - much better than the weird pop rivets that Raleigh used some years. The looked like frog's eyes.
I think you have defined my back-up plan. Thanks.
Old 05-10-15, 03:29 PM
dweenk

Originally Posted by rootboy
I will take you up on this. I need a rivet (not rivit - been corrected there) the size of #10 or #8 copper wire. I need 3 for the Raleigh badge, and a couple for screw-ups.