Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Toe clips that are too small?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 01:53 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

I was wondering what the effects of riding would be if you have toe clips that are too small? I have 2 bikes with two different sizes of toe clips. Both are wide and tall enough for my sneakers, but one set of toe clips is smaller and my foot just does not rest as far forward on the pedals, but my fixed gear bike has normal full sized toe clips. I haven't rode my bike with small toe clips for a few weeks and after going back to it, all of a sudden I have a sore ankle. My right foot feels a bit unusual on the front part of my ankle near the top of my foot. Shrugging it off.. perhaps I should buy normal/large size toe clips for this bike?
Old 05-17-15, 05:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Hot spots, Achilles tendon strain/soreness, toe blisters, knee pain -- all from having to pedal with the toes pointing downward because your contact points are too far forward. I'd get the bigger toe clips if you find yourself with those symptoms.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-17-15, 05:58 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Does putting the proper size toeclips on all of your machines strike you as a crazy idea and a huge waste of time, valuable resources and an enormous capital investment?
If not, get on with it.

-Bandera
Old 05-17-15, 06:52 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
This is why my my instep isn't feeling so good.. Size 12 shoes and small toe clips. I probably should get large soma to clips to keep it uniform with my other bike, and I hope I don't actually need an extra large size.

Attached Images
Old 05-17-15, 07:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I hope I don't actually need an extra large size.
Is there special import tax or other arcane reason why fitting XL toeclips is prohibitive in your zipcode?
Toss caution to the winds and fit whatever your hoof-size requires regardless of community standards and size 12 prejudice.

-Bandera
Old 05-19-15, 11:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
TC can be shimmed, a spacer block between the pedal front and the Toe Clip, with longer bolts..
Old 05-19-15, 11:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I was wondering what the effects of riding would be if you have toe clips that are too small? I have 2 bikes with two different sizes of toe clips. Both are wide and tall enough for my sneakers, but one set of toe clips is smaller and my foot just does not rest as far forward on the pedals, but my fixed gear bike has normal full sized toe clips. I haven't rode my bike with small toe clips for a few weeks and after going back to it, all of a sudden I have a sore ankle. My right foot feels a bit unusual on the front part of my ankle near the top of my foot. Shrugging it off.. perhaps I should buy normal/large size toe clips for this bike?
Add a wood spacer.